• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any way to know what handguns are approved in Mass

If there is a specific, but somewhat rare handgun I am interested in, is there anyway to know if it is something that can be ordered to an FFL in mass?

The AG's office has never put out a written list of what's good and what is not. That is so they can change their minds at any time as far as handguns. With long guns they had no problem listing what is okay and then they went even further a couple of years ago as you know.

The state approved handgun roster lists all the guns that are permissible at that particular level. Then the AG has its own super double secret list that's mainly Glocks as far as I know. Basically if it's on the roster and not a post-1998 Glock a dealer will transfer it. Even if it's not on the roster, if you find people willing to play ball you can get whatever you want.

How does the FFL know?
Ok ok. It you REALLY want to see if your gun is on "the list" here is the link to see. 2 seconds of Google dude. 🙄

Now .....someone already gave you the advice to "call an ffl and ask". Take that advice......in fact if the first ffl you call says he won't transfer it .......call another one......and another .....even if you don't see it on that God damn list. Once you find an ffl that says yes .....you are good to go and legal. It's mass.......you have to put some effort in. But hey......I had to Google ""the list" for you so.......

Last edited:
Don't see ANY llama pistols on that list. So even 40 year old .22 baby 1911's can't be sold through FFLs?

To add the non-sarcastic answer, the Mass "list" consists of guns submitted by manufacturers for some sort of extra special safety testing. Llama either had no clue about this or wasn't sufficiently concerned, or maybe even in existence, when the concept of the list became a thing in Mass in the 1990s. Llama went out of business in 2000, so I highly doubt they cared about submitting guns for consumer safety testing to states in the 1990s.

How does the FFL know?
They basically take a flying leap.

There's an entire 900 page sticky on this in the gun laws subforum but honestly I would suggest you don't bother reading it because it's mostly irrelevant to consumers. Yes there is a generic sleeve of MA compliant garbage that every ma dealer sells but they're hardly universally consistent in this regard.

Ok ok. It you REALLY want to see if your gun is on "the list" here is the link to see. 2 seconds of Google dude. 🙄

Now .....someone already gave you the advice to "call an ffl and ask". Take that advice......in fact if the first ffl you call says he won't transfer it .......call another one......and another .....even if you don't see it on that God damn list. Once you find an ffl that says yes .....you are good to go and legal. It's mass.......you have to put some effort in. But hey......I had to Google ""the list" for you so.......
Go easy on OP, he/she is obviously new. Let’s make sure they stay on our side, lol!!!!

Wait.

Let me get this straight.

You want to buy...

...a Llama?

Also, why do you care?

View attachment 357550
Because I've been considering selling them on NES, and most of the members are from the PRM, so they would have to go through a Ma. FFL. So, being that Llamas are too old to be on the list, none can be sold by Ma. FFLs or transferred into Ma.? No need to point out Llamas are pretty crappy, but the baby 1911s have a cult following.

Because I've been considering selling them on NES, and most of the members are from the PRM, so they would have to go through a Ma. FFL. So, being that Llamas are too old to be on the list, none can be sold by Ma. FFLs or transferred into Ma.? No need to point out Llamas are pretty crappy, but the baby 1911s have a cult following.

See post no. 6.

you said what I was hinting at, but I guess I wasn't clear enough, but now that the cat is out of the bag, if you want a certain gun and want to do enough leg work, there are FFL's who are willing to tell Maura TGF herself ( which is what she does when her GF is not there with a strap on... Hi Maura!) and sell you the gun or transfer it from an out of state FFL

Plus there are "work arounds" if you know how to play the game..also known as how to build a Gen5 Glock in MA legally (again I'm not opening my mouth and saying how it can be legally done but it is done all the time)

But go look at the list, and notice all the Glocks on it, then go try to find one.... remember there are TWO lists

They basically take a flying leap.

There's an entire 900 page sticky on this in the gun laws subforum but honestly I would suggest you don't bother reading it because it's mostly irrelevant to consumers. Yes there is a generic sleeve of MA compliant garbage that every ma dealer sells but they're hardly universally consistent in this regard.

Thanks for answering honestly. Obviously I know about the list, obviously I know that this list isn't the end-all answer to this question. Obviously I can call an FFL...but they have lead me astray before and give varying answers. I was wondering if there was another document floating around. Obviously this isn't the case. I didn't expect this much purse-swinging.

Back
Top Bottom