• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Been to Somerville PD Lately? // LTC-A

Hey there everyone. Just joined the site and am excited to be a part of the discussions on the forum.

I've been a Somerville resident for 11 years and finally heading into the PD next week to meet with the issuing officer. Hearing a mixed review on their issuance of ALP in the past few years. Anyone been in there recently and have any insights?

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Ah that's good to know. Thanks. If you don't mind me asking - were you specific about the reason for use or did you simply put All Lawful Purposes?

Got mine 4 years ago and was told by the issuing officer that he "does not give unrestricted licenses to first-time applicants". I assume (perhaps incorrectly ) that I can get unrestricted when I renew in two years.

Yes. She is super nice. There was no 'interview'. It was ok fill out these forms and lets take your fingerprints.

Of course there wasn't an interview...no need.

"....we don't care who you are even if you come back perfectly clean, we have decided that you don't have the right, to exersize a right...stupid peon".

That about right?

Jen (I think thats her name) the woman who processes the application. She was the only one I spoke with, and I would not call it an interview by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
Hmm. Sounds like they're still all over the place. Acoonradt - if you listed ALP without detail on your application, how did they come to the T+H restriction for you then?

A lot of cities in MA still don't give a rats ass. You get restricted whether you like it or not. Period. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

Hmm. Sounds like they're still all over the place. Acoonradt - if you listed ALP without detail on your application, how did they come to the T+H restriction for you then?

They don't care what you put on the form- that's legally meaningless. They just hit a drop down box on the computer, select the "**** the applicant" option from a list of restrictions, and push OK.

-Mike

Your form doesn't matter as the office clerk fills out their form. She selected ALP. Just because you wrote ALP or they select ALP does not equate to unrestricted It is still up to the chief in that town, and what your reasons are.

Maybe if I was a business owner constantly bringing large amounts of cash to the bank they would have considered me for an unrestrcited license. Who knows.

Last edited:
That really gets my ass. All they care about is if you are carrying a bag of money or own a business, etc., not the fact that you are trying to protect you and your family from getting whacked by a dirtbag druggie.

Maybe if I was a business owner constantly bringing large amounts of cash to the bank they would have considered my for an unrestrcited license. Who knows.

I've read a lot of people here use this as reasoning, but I can't say that I've seen many of them get No Restrictions, I could be wrong though

I know plenty of people in Somerville that have unrestricted class A permits. Depending on when they first got them, and who was the Chief then, some people did get restricted if it was their first permit. I think how long you have lived here and how well they know you, good or bad, has a bit to do with it too. Compared to a lot of places, Somerville is very straight forward, no extra requirements etc.

That really gets my ass. All they care about is if you are carrying a bag of money or own a business, etc., not the fact that you are trying to protect you and your family from getting whacked by a dirtbag druggie.

And meanwhile the protection of property (ie money) is not a legitimate reason to use deadly force I thought.

Jen (I think thats her name) the woman who processes the application. She was the only one I spoke with, and I would not call it an interview by any stretch of the imagination.

When I was in it was Pat and Betsy handling things. I miss Dot, she was great to deal with, not that Pat and Betsy were anything but pleasant.

And yes, they fill out the electronic version and take payment, not really any sort of interview these day. There used to be a very short "interview" which basically just asked why you want the permit in more detail than the written statement.

Quick update here: appointment went fine. As some of you said, there wasn't any interview. She was great and really nice, but the apptmt was more of an administrative one...give the paperwork, take prints, wait and see in 6-8 weeks.

Will definitely update once I've received the license...

Quick update here: appointment went fine. As some of you said, there wasn't any interview. She was great and really nice, but the apptmt was more of an administrative one...give the paperwork, take prints, wait and see in 6-8 weeks.

Will definitely update once I've received the license...

did she explain the current licensing officer/chief's policy towards unrestricted LTCs?

I got my LTC A from Somerville in August and I got stuck with T&H restrictions since I was a first time applicant. Other than the restrictions the process was actually pretty smooth, and as others have said there are no extra requirements like some other towns. Betsy handled my application and told me my LTC would be ready 4-8 weeks after the interview, but it ended up taking less than 3 weeks for the license to be ready for me to pick up.

I think Somerville will issue with no restrictions upon renewal as one of my coworkers has his unrestricted LTC from Somerville. One of my friends will be picking up his LTC from Somerville PD soon and I will post again when I find out whether or not his is restricted. He ended up waiting about 5-6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom