anyone besides myself like and shoot 38 special?

Ask @KAG Arms on here if he has any , I know I saw .38 spl on his shelves today.
Yup

Great caliber. I have several 357s but only 2 that are limited to 38 special. A heavy barrel model 10 and a full lug model 14. I have all the components and am about ready to switch the press over to 38 special and run off 1000 rounds.

I just picked up a red dot mount and plan to put a Holosun 507C on my 627, then I will start shooting it again, but nowhere near as much as my Glock 9mm.
My 625 was also a lot of fun, until the 8-shots Revos came along and made it irrelevant in most competitions.

Shooting .38s out of my snubbies is fun for a while, but not a long while. Shooting .38s out my Model 28 and 686 means I have to clean the crud out of the cylinders before I can load .357s again, but it's worth it. An old, beat-up Model 64 (stainless twin of the Model 10) is my hands-down favorite .38 shooter. It's as accurate as anything and the trigger is vintage Smith & Wesson. Carry it in any weather, feed it anything from mouse-fart wadcutters to Plus P dragon slayers, you can't hurt it.

I'm overdue to bring my J-frame Model 38 Bodyguard airweight to the range. I bought it new close to 30 years ago, and do like the gun alot though it can be a bit punishing to put alot of rounds downrange! My dad (not a gun guy) only has one gun, an older blued J-frame he bought 35+ years ago. He rarely shoots, but I'm hoping to get him to the range with his old 38 in the next few weeks. Bought him some muffs, so he has to go!

I want to pick-up another revolver (38 or 357) at some point. I recently added a pinned and recessed 44 mag and love it.
Dad needs to be reminded its a perishable skill. I brought my boss to the club to shoot for the first time in I think he said 25 years and he was all over the place. Like missing the paper and the target stand it was stapled to.

Last edited:
I bought a lead cleaning cloth and that made the world of difference. It's still a pain but a lot less so.

I have a 6" 686 no dash, 642 Talo, 3" 65-5, 4" Model 67 and an old former police Model 36 snubnose. My two favorites are the 686 and the 36. The 686 is so heavy it aims like a laser. The 36 is so light it's incredibly easy to get a great rhythm for getting back on target. I've been lusting after a Henry Big Boy in 38/357.
If it's has no dash, you may need the "-M" factory recall from about 30 years ago. There was an issue with the firing pin bushing causing problems with extensive 357 shooting. When S&W did the free upgrade, they stamped a "-M" after the 686 inside the yolk. It doesn't cosmetically damage the gun, and was specific to certain revisions of the 586 and 686 (but definitely including the no dash). BTDT.

If it's has no dash, you may need the "-M" factory recall from about 30 years ago. There was an issue with the firing pin bushing causing problems with extensive 357 shooting. When S&W did the free upgrade, they stamped a "-M" after the 686 inside the yolk. It doesn't cosmetically damage the gun, and was specific to certain revisions of the 586 and 686 (but definitely including the no dash). BTDT.
Thanks Rob. It's been a while but a few years back I thought I contacted Smith & Wesson and they said it didn't need the recall. I looked through my email and I don't see any contact I had with them to confirm. I should probably send them an email to make sure. I don't shoot it very much and fortunately no problems so far.

Smith_&_Wesson_686_no_dash.JPG

As long as we're talking about the S&W 686 what is the best way to replace the colored sight insert (standard sights, not the fancy one in the previous post)

When I carry a revolver, I'm perfectly happy that it has .38spl aboard.

I get that it's an old-fashioned caliber, but the bottom line is that it shoots and kills just fine out of decades' worth of guns designed and built specifically for this round. It's a good mix of power and recoil in a reliable package.

I have lots of other calibers, so .38 isn't my favorite to shoot, but my favorite load to shoot in .38 is the duplex load using two 000 Buck pellets. Much cheaper to do this than the .45 Colt and in a snubbie would be quite decent.

Back
Top Bottom