• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone build one of these?

As the title states, has anyone built one of these Traditions DIY kits? If so what was your experience?

I’m looking for a winter project. I’ve been craving something different, firearm wise. I’m might shoot it around a dozen times a year and use it during muzzle loader season when the weather is perfect. But other than that it’s going to be part of a mantle piece I’m slowly putting together.

I've built a few. They're a fun project. Take your time, don't force anything. I use as traditional as possible methods to finish them. For example, I'll brown the barrel using brownels browning solution. Basically wipe this stuff on, let it brown up a bit over a day or so, then card the barrel (i light scraping with fine steel wool) then apply another coat. Rinse and repeat until you get desired results. It'll be an orange(ish) color. Then pour boiling hot water over it and it'll really darken it up. The heat from the water drys the barrel pretty quick, then smooth it over and polish it with an oiled rag. Results in a deep rich brown patina.

The only thing lacking in these kits is the woods, its pretty plain. Many kits can have the wood upgraded to a nicely figured maple. Some more experienced and discerning guys will upgrade the lock as well. I'm not that particular when it comes to muzzle loading but like any firearm, the sky is the limit and they can be tricked out pretty good.

All in all, its a fun project, patch round ball is super cheap to shoot and despite whatever ammo shortage is currently going, black powder always seems to be available. When you find the powder/ball/patch combo the rifle likes, stock up on it

"This look like yours?" And out of the blue, she hits me across the throat with a nine iron. [rofl]

Sorry. Just reminded me of an old joke. I watched a gunsmith client make one once. Just be sure you get your MA approved trigger lock. ;)

Go big or go home. These kits are damn near perfect. You really just slap them together. Check the YouTube channel to see how easily they are built.

Go big or go home. These kits are damn near perfect. You really just slap them together. Check the YouTube channel to see how easily they are built.

I've seen the Kibler kits. Some of the finishing touches are out of my comfort zone, but it seems they will finish it for you step by step for an additional cost. Do you have one of these kits? If so, I'd be interested in how the build went, what was required.

I've seen the Kibler kits. Some of the finishing touches are out of my comfort zone, but it seems they will finish it for you step by step for an additional cost. Do you have one of these kits? If so, I'd be interested in how the build went, what was required.
No it’s in my short list. Everything I’ve read says it’s as easy as can be to assemble. Easier than a lot of the other kits.
They have a lot of features pre done now vs. when the original videos were posted. The bushing on the barrel is assembled now or they sell jigs for drilling. Some things like that.

I’ve been dreaming of building a musket similar to what my ancestors might have carried at the Old North Bridge and Bunker Hill. I need to do more research to figure out exactly what that would have been, but it does seem like a fun project!

As the title states, has anyone built one of these Traditions DIY kits? If so what was your experience?

I’m looking for a winter project. I’ve been craving something different, firearm wise. I’m might shoot it around a dozen times a year and use it during muzzle loader season when the weather is perfect. But other than that it’s going to be part of a mantle piece I’m slowly putting together.
Brother and I did these kits growing up , Cabela’s magazine would come and the rifle and pistol kits where always on sale.
They where not high end and we often rattled them to pieces by the time we ran out of powder .
Fun to do and not terrible at the price point.

Back
Top Bottom