• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone carrying one of these?

DSC_0009_edited-2.jpg

From what I understand, it's perfectly legal. The badge that is. [smile]

Thanks,
Paul

Across virtually all of the shooting boards I visit, the topic of a concealed weapons badge has come up. And uniformly they are categorized as dumb ideas usually promoted by "wanna-be's" and other clueless individuals.

They fall into the same category as "Shoot Me First" signs.

I doubt that anyone intelligent enough to post on NES would even remotely consider such a dumb move.

If you are intent on carrying a badge, carry a real one.

Join your county's reserve deputy sheriff association. In Worcester and Middlesex counties, they offer full-sized badges that you can purchase once you've joined.

If you are in a small town, there might be constable openings. My town has had at least one opening for years. Search for postings by LenS for an idea of the duties and powers of a constable. In larger communities, these tend to be political appointments.

Even if you do join the local county sheriff or other quasi-police affiliated organization, don't go 'flashing'. There are plenty of stories of such people getting into serious trouble for doing so. Unless you are a trained and sworn LEO, just don't do it.

Concealed carry means that NOBODY knows. I've been with people who have asked if I was carrying. I consider it about as rude as asking a woman her age. I usually just answer no and let it be. If you feel a badge will help, you need to spend more time making sure that your gun is better hidden.

Those badges are useful for one thing....

To throw at the BG to distract him, then dumping a mozambique into him
shortly thereafter.

[rofl]

I thought this was just a joke!!

Nope, there are just enough people out there that want to play cop that it is kind of scary.

I've seen news reports of people getting a Carry permit and then putting blue lights on their car and pulling people over for speeding.

The ONLY purpose such a badge has is to allow those types to 'flash' them to people.

I don't mean to put anyone down, but I see the following a lot...

New shooter has their first carry permit. As they open their wallet, there it is for all to see. They want to show people as they are proud to be one of the card carrying 'good guys'. Most people have no idea what it is, so it hasn't caused any real issues, but let the wrong person see it and you could be asking for trouble.

I have to admit that there are times when I've had a new finish, a new holster, or some other cool new thing added to my carry gear and I've wanted to show someone. But I don't. Not even to friends. Concealed is just that. If I had really wanted to show, I'd carry another gun and bring this one in a case.

The only exception to this is in certain classes where I'l carry the gun all during class and then when the topic of concealment comes up, I'll reveal. I usually use OWB for this as it doesn't look good for an instructor to go diging in his pants to pull out his tool. (^_^)

Seriously though. If you make it a rule that you never show to anyone, you'll likely never have an 'opps'.

And since nobody will ever see it, you don't need no stinkin' badges.

If you needed to use your gun, you are going to have a lot more issues than a tin shield could ever solve.

Just don't do it.

Geez, you guys are brutal. [rolleyes] Ok, so the CWB is not a good thing to carry. Point taken. I wasn't trying to play a cop, I wasn't even trying to impress anyone with it. The guy at the shop suggested it and said that the LEO he knows thought they were a good idea for certain situations, like quickly identifying oneself to a PO as a permit holder if in a bind. Whatever...

I'm sure there are people here, whether or not they want to admit it, who have a false sense of security or even machismo, with a concealed weapon. I'm not one of those guys. Sh!t, I carry if/when I think my daily plans call for it, which is rarely. I know a few individuals who are petrified to leave home without a sidearm. I'm not one of those guys either. I'm pretty secure with myself and my surroundings. So I suggest those of you who attacked me and pressumed I was trying to come off as a tough guy with posting a legitimate question about a CWB, think before you do so.

Rant over. [wave]

Paul

Read the story about the 56 yo and Wife stopping at an Albertson's in Ft. Worth, TX. Bet they didn't think their "surroundings were unsafe" either! [Ref: Albertson's is like Stop & Shop, Shaw's, Big Y, Shoprite, etc.]

Shit happens! And with the advent of the automobile, it travels to where the people and money are!

In these parts if you pull out a CCW badge and

like quickly identifying oneself to a PO as a permit holder if in a bind

You WILL end up in a bind alright! You are almost certainly going to be charged with "impersonating an officer", which IIRC is a Felony in MA! If the cop cuts you a break, you'll get a lecture and relieved of the badge . . . and if he's an anti, he'll likely report you to your Licensing Authority who will most likely relieve you of your LTC and your guns (all of them)!!

Very bad juju, regardless of your intentions.

I usually use OWB for this as it doesn't look good for an instructor to go diging in his pants to pull out his tool. (^_^)

"Excuse me while I whip this out." Sheriff Bart.

Last edited:
Geez, you guys are brutal.

Not nearly as brutal as the rash of $hit you'd find yourself in if you came across the wrong cop. And I suspect that you'd find far more of the 'wrong' type than the 'right' type in situations where you might call upon that badge.

The guy at the shop suggested it and said that the LEO he knows thought they were a good idea for certain situations, like quickly identifying oneself to a PO as a permit holder if in a bind. Whatever...

Might make a pretty good profit on it. And like you said, it's legal. Then again, there is no law against walking down the Cambridgeside Galleria Mall with the gun hanging on your hip, but I would not recommend doing so.

So I suggest those of you who attacked me and pressumed I was trying to come off as a tough guy with posting a legitimate question about a CWB, think before you do so.

If that is the case, I am sorry. My intention was to be as blunt as possible as to the real world reaction to such things, not personal attacks.

The only "good" explanation for having one is not to flash to anyone, cop or not, but to clip it next to the holster, so that if the wearer forgets what "concealed" means, and accidently shows the gun to the average citizen, they would also see the badge and go about their business, instead of making a panicked "man with a gun in Wal Mart" 911 call.

Think of your average citizen. Gun = BAD, Badge = Good.

Like so many things, seems like a good idea until you apply reality. After all, if it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I would be unstoppable!!!

(And, no - I don't have one, never had one, and wouldn't buy one. But it seemed like a good idea when I read about it when I was 12 or so)

Yes, it is a tough crowd. [shocked] That's just the nature of the beast, we call them like we see them.

I've carried a badge for a number of years and do again as a retired LEO. But for all of those years, it stays in my pocket, not on my belt.

If the issuing authorities wanted you to have a badge with your LTC, then you'd get one.

I don't know what LEO would think they were a good idea, but I think the shop owner was looking at his profit margin. [thinking]

The guy at the shop suggested it and said that the LEO he knows thought they were a good idea for certain situations, like quickly identifying oneself to a PO as a permit holder if in a bind. Whatever...

I got the same pitch/lecture from the same shop owner (I've got a pretty good idea of who it is.) He's a good guy, but not exactly full of the best advice on a number of gun related topics. I didn't argue with him (although I certainly could have), and just said "Well that's an interesting suggestion" and carried on. I for one thought it was an interesting post/question, and also think it's far more hurt than help to carry one of these badges.

Just a bad idea all the way around. Spend money to buy a badge that nobody should see that says you have a gun that nobody should see, that might give away your tactical advantage when and if you ever need the firearm.

I got the same pitch/lecture from the same shop owner (I've got a pretty good idea of who it is.) He's a good guy, but not exactly full of the best advice on a number of gun related topics. I didn't argue with him (although I certainly could have), and just said "Well that's an interesting suggestion" and carried on. I for one thought it was an interesting post/question, and also think it's far more hurt than help to carry one of these badges.

He probably bought a box of those badges from the "Special Forces Guy" at the last gun show...

Somehow this smells like something that would come from a shop very close to Spag's!!

If so, don't follow ANY of the advice you get in that shop!!

Somehow this smells like something that would come from a shop very close to Spag's!!

If so, don't follow ANY of the advice you get in that shop!!

Len,

I said the shop owner was GOOD guy. This would completely eliminate the shop you're referring to. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom