Anyone dealing with a Woke employer?

Are you concerned about the woke culture costing you your job?

• Total voters
f*** that nonsense. Work somewhere else.
All the companies with great benefits are woke AF.

People could try finding a job at a small start up, but the start up life and work schedule are not for everyone and it is not guaranteed it won't be woke AF.

If you work in the corporate world, there isn't much you can do. Except get paid and support Comm2A and GOAL.

Maybe Palantir is not "woke" yet. That seems like a great company to get into.

My employer, local in Western MA and an industry leader is well into its push for divirsity and inclusion.

They pay woke speakers to lecture us about race and privilege. They push articles, videos and info graphics explaining the horrors of micro aggressions. They push everyone to include their preferred pronouns in their email signature so that everyone can feel more welcome.

Problem is, I don’t feel very welcome. They encourage us to have “brave conversations”, but when the only conversations considered brave are ones which align with the political opinion made public by the leadership in the company, than what exactly about that is brave? Is my belief that the conclusions drawn are false something that would be championed within the company as a brave thing to say, or would I much more likely be exiled or even potentially fired depending on the intensity of my disagreement.

Unfortunately, we find ourselves in an at will employment state and I just bought my first house and hope to begin a family soon. I cant afford to lose what is a great job on paper. That being said, only so much can be avoided. When pressed in person on the issues, it is against my constitution to speak in agreement with that which I so thoroughly disagree and disapprove of.

How is everyone else in similar situations handling the encroachment of woke culture and the threat that comes with it if you should dare speak out against the orthodoxy?

well if you were a woke millennial you would have already quit and slammed them on twitter, but we all know how that goes for conservatives.

I'd just ignore it and collect a paycheck, even though that is just enabling them.

Similar situation. I just shut the hell up and bury my head. Find a few allies internally & then mock the rest of your coworkers via text with one another since all my work emails are monitored by our chief compliance officer.
Groupme seems to be the 'goto' app nowadays.

I work in one of the most woke professions: academic medicine. Yet I’m surprised how all of you say to keep your head down. My policy is to allow the leftists to work themselves up into a frenzy then ask a very stupid question. This way I can waste their time and enjoy hearing the teeth gnash while my work goes uninterrupted. It is also delightful hearing patients dish out the 1776 lecture to pronoun-confused Marxists.

its fine to troll coworkers so long as it’s not in writing or any form of “debate”. Those are guaranteed shit sandwich.

I work in one of the most woke professions: academic medicine. Yet I’m surprised how all of you say to keep your head down. My policy is to allow the leftists to work themselves up into a frenzy then ask a very stupid question. This way I can waste their time and enjoy hearing the teeth gnash while my work goes uninterrupted. It is also delightful hearing patients dish out the 1776 lecture to pronoun-confused Marxists.

its fine to troll coworkers so long as it’s not in writing or any form of “debate”. Those are guaranteed shit sandwich.
Nice.
It hasn't gotten confrontational at my employer, yet, so I can ignore it and just not play along, but if/when it does go up to the next level your approach tends to fit my standard MO. I can be very passive-aggressive, and enjoy playing mickey the dunce. We shall see if I pull the handles before needing to go there.

If you work for a company for 10+ years you are lucky if there is one person you worked with who became the kind of friend you still keep in touch with years after you or he/she/it depart the company.
That's strange. 25 yeas in the military and I have dozens and dozens of people I call friends and even spend time with now. But your right.....civilian job.....I have one guy that I'd say I'd keep in touch with after one of leaves.

Really what this is, is destroying our families, our rights and our country, using the current leftist political climate of fear and intimidation to push an un American, un Godly agenda. It's a non violent overthrow of our country. Threatening people to knuckle under and deny the truth and hate themselves because of their skin color. You ever wonder what makes great people great? It's standing against evil and for truth at all costs. If we don't stand now and fight with words you will have to fight with bullets or they will take you and your loved ones to a death camp. We do have choices to make that great people have made throughout history. If we don't there will be no country or future for our children.

Really what this is, is destroying our families, our rights and our country, using the current leftist political climate of fear and intimidation to push an un American, un Godly agenda. It's a non violent overthrow of our country.
If you've been reading the news since... well, Michael Brown, never mind George Floyd, you'd hardly call it "non-violent" - an overthrow it is, of course.

If you've been reading the news since... well, Michael Brown, never mind George Floyd, you'd hardly call it "non-violent" - an overthrow it is, of course.
You are correct in the big picture. I was only referring to the work place but real violence is coming next to those who don't submit to their agenda.

I’m sure there are a good many corps who saw the 2020 BLM riots and said “better to pay them off / go woke than to get burned down or cancelled”. Basic /reward calculation.

Like paying off mafia in a protection racket. “Don’t burn us down yo, we woke! BLM!”
Problem is, that doesn't actually help.

blm-sign.jpg

I’m sure there are a good many corps who saw the 2020 BLM riots and said “better to pay them off / go woke than to get burned down or cancelled”. Basic /reward calculation.

Like paying off mafia in a protection racket. “Don’t burn us down yo, we woke! BLM!”
I wonder if this also has to do with what, I believe it was @jhblaze1 (sorry if it wasn't you), described in a thread; how a lot of fund are starting to look at a metric that basically says how woke a company is.

I don't mine pronoun designation but I had the co-option of plurality. Until this pronouns stuff, a comment like "They are in the lab" referred to multiple people. Now, it can be multiple people or a single non-cis gendered person. They deserve their own unique pronoun. "Ms." was invented in the 70s (or thereabouts); time to invent some new designations.

I feel your pain. I work at a company that is owned by a very "woke" umbrella consortium out of the UK. We have been "requested" to do online courses dealing with inclusion and diversity (aren't those terms mutually exclusive :rolleyes:?). SO far I have been told they are not required and I have yet to do any and no one has challenged me on it. I do get "gentle" reminders from time to time that I haven't completed the "requested" training. I know I'm not the only one that has refused to do them.

I have a little less than 6 months before I retire so I don't think anyone is going to push me to do it. If they try to get serious, I'll just retire earlier than planned.

I feel bad for those that are in the early years of their employment and career.

I tend to follow an axiom in situations like this that my Navy bootcamp company commander used to tell us..."Do your job and don't let your name be known".

Last edited:
Place I used to be a contractor at, has emails that were formatted as, [last name].[first initial]@workplace.com

You can figure out Ken Chin's email.

One of the people that worked there told me that they'd received a nastygram from HR, for using the word, "Buckwheat," while referring to flour in an email. Inappropriate language.....

I try very hard not to access questionable content (like NES), or use my personal email account on my work machine, even though the place is healla-laid back (colleague's daughter just took the LTC course at my Club). Because, you never know about the future.

I find it surprising with all the tough talk about "go time" and such on this board, the majority of people here are afraid to even talk about sensible conservative values and viewpoints at work.
Please, allow me to translate:

NESers: Regarding your coworkers,​
Let's you and them have a fight.​

My NJ company creates meaningless positions for Diversity new hires that have no skills or experience. ...
Late February, the SrVP of Strategic Initiatives (another diverse person with no perceivable role or responsibility) sent out a memo saying the 2021 Standardized Engineering Documentation SOP had been revised and issued (it was rev3, although rev0-2 were never issued), which included standardized templates for protocols, report, etc.
4e3c8cec4f5bbb7e8aae66d1267c0c29.jpg

All 2021 documents were required to be up-revved to the new templates, with a list of dozens of 1Q21 documents in the Agile system requiring revision.
Tps_report.png

I enjoy being called a racist with my morning coffee...none of that men in women’s bathroom horseshit has popped up but I wonder what they’d do if you did?
Men in Women's Bathroom Horseshit?
Been there, done that. See Anecdote #1.

Until this pronouns stuff, a comment like "They are in the lab" referred to multiple people. Now, it can be multiple people or a single non-cis gendered person. They deserve their own unique pronoun. "Ms." was invented in the 70s (or thereabouts); time to invent some new designations.
Have I got the magazine for that emerging market segment.
557twu.jpg

And don’t doubt that ANY team or decisions is better when composed of or made with Diversity. We just hired an engineer in BOS who was interviewed by the plant manager (an old, white male) and several Diverse people from our NJ office. They all assumed I had interviewed the candidate, as I’d be working closely with them and they not. Nope, I says - never heard of them. I explained it was the new Diversity Interview process - they seemed a little non-pluses for me saying so... All three of them quit after the 2020 bonus check hit, and we’re left with their chosen candidate.

And if you really stretch the maths, of the successful companies in a few sectors, many have more diverse employees than the average. Oddly, they don’t look at the less successful companies, to make sure the don’t have many Diverse employees - that wouldn’t fit the narrative.

All of our female managers have “power-pose” pics on their Outlook-connected LinkIn profile. That little gem got shot down as more unreproducible Social Psyhcology malarkey. As did Grit - our 2018 management theme.

“Grit gained a great deal of attention thanks to Dr. Duckworth’s provocative claims that it “beats the pants off I.Q., SAT scores,” and other traditional measures of potential in determining “which individuals will be successful in some situations.” Subsequent research has showed this to be an undeniable overstatement, in some cases a massive one. While some studies have found that grit might be useful for predicting achievement in certain narrow contexts, the first grit study conducted on a large, representative sample of Americans, published last year, found that “intelligence contributes 48-90 times more than grit to educational success and 13 times more to job-market success.”

Alas, as our company lags a few years, we’re chock-full of Diverse, power-posing, gritty people...

I started with a major defense contractor last month and plenty of the training was "woke". No critical race theory crap yet. I keep my mouth shut because I need the check and the benefits are pretty good, and I actually like what I'm doing.

Early in my working life I was friendly with everyone, did the normal youth openness thing. As a detailer at a car dealership, I interacted with people from every department, including the owner of the chain (whose collection of fine Italians I was responsible to keep spotless on the weekends due to my skills).

Wound up being interviewed after more than a dozen aftermarket stereo systems were stolen from used vehicles on the lot, because of my apparent proximity to the accused. The matter of an air-tight alibi didn't seem to account for much until further information was discovered, and while my reputation wasn't damaged, having it exposed to threat changed my outlook permanently.

I've worked in establishments where I was recommended by friends, and been in adjoining offices. And yet, for me work is work. My extent to being cordial with my coworkers and those I oversee extends to the basics. I will discuss general home life, concerns, pressing and emergency matters. Beyond that, I don't want to hear it. I'm the guy who goes out for lunch alone in his car, or to a nearby park to decompress and re-energize from the grind.

For those who have the opportunity to work in more classically liberal/laissez-faire environments, enjoy them. Not everyone's interests, career paths, and skillsets permit such. Those of us with an eye for solidifying what is more important to us function as the proverbial gray men.

Not everyone finds a need to correct individuals we wouldn't piss on if they were burning.

“Grit gained a great deal of attention thanks to Dr. Duckworth’s provocative claims that it “beats the pants off I.Q., SAT scores,”

Alas, as our company lags a few years, we’re chock-full of Diverse, power-posing, gritty people...
Back on topic:

This is like some action shooting sports that have a culture that a top score in competition is exhibiting of skill. There are others where the score doesn't matter quite as much as long as the competitor in his/her own judgment feels they are tactically sound.

Not the least bit concerned. My boss may be a bit liberal, but he’s an awesome person that actually gets involved and works hard to improve the community - particularly for the kids in the area - instead of just talking. It’s fun having a job that I really believe in and enjoy.

I've seen PSA's on TV stating you should "stand up and confront racism", "don't give anyone a pass for such behavior" and "if you hear something say something". It's all woke propaganda crap. I say we should do the same and not be silent against their blatant lies. Remember all that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

My employer started going overboard last year when the George Floyd thing went down. It started as race conversations and some of even the higher up well off well connected black employees had some not very nice things happen in their lives. Until then it was mostly quiet and peaceful. People who brought politics to work generally find themselves on the outside looking in eventually. I had a very far left coworkers, he was a great guy, loved working with him. He worked for me briefly as a developer and he was very good at his job. That being sad goddam that guy couldn't keep his politics to himself for 15 seconds. Eventually he was canned and ended up working the last few years of his career at a rival instead of just shutting his mouth and cashing in on the pension. If there's any hope it's that even far left employees can find themselves out of a job when they bring politics to work.

My biggest fear is that the woke nonsense is going to create teams that won't cooperate or function well. I don't really see how anyone can have a productive workforce when people are being artificially pushed into positions where they are not capable of doing the job. Would you be motivated to do a good job if you knew that a person of color who was recently hired would get the promotion because the merit based system was gone? The backstabbing will be epic and morale is going to sink into the Marianas Trench.

Would you be motivated to do a good job if you knew that a person of color who was recently hired would get the promotion because the merit based system was gone? The backstabbing will be epic and morale is going to sink into the Marianas Trench.
Not to mention productivity.
"They pretend to evaluate us fairly and we pretend to work" can happen here.

Back
Top Bottom