Anyone else drooling over the new CZ Shadow 2?

One other question: if they do a new frame, I assume it would have a new serial--would it have to go to an FFL? I know warranty repair stuff can go to/from you without FFL, but I wasn't sure if a new frame/receiver/serial was somehow different and required FFL.

You sent your gun back to CGW already? Did they tell you what they'll do about the finish, nitride vs poly?
They did not. Their emails were pretty brief. Just sent me the shipping info to send it back to them. It sucks to get the polycoat model but at this point I don't really care - it's not a showpiece/safe queen.

One other question: if they do a new frame, I assume it would have a new serial--would it have to go to an FFL? I know warranty repair stuff can go to/from you without FFL, but I wasn't sure if a new frame/receiver/serial was somehow different and required FFL.
PM sent

Online warranty request submitted, we'll see what the say. Included the pictures I posted here.
Running a paper clip point over it, there's definitely "something" there, it's uneven and the clip "jumps" over it; it's not smooth.

I'm gonna go shoot it tomorrow. If I have to part with it for 4-6 weeks, it needs a proper send off, something to remember it by.

CZ just emailed me a return authorization.
It does say "inspect frame for damage" though. 4-6 weeks quoted.

Just let Andrew borrow it. He breaks every gun he owns.
hes-right-you-know-32644779.png

I was outting off checking mine because I didn’t want to give myself bad news. One of mine is the older gen and the other is the new style.

Of course the one with the nicer trigger is the older one.

Both of mine were worked by CJ Maven... so if I send the one back... that’s money lost.

No signs of cracking yet... so decisions decisions

I just got off the phone with Cajun. He said I had 2 options. Have him mill a relief cut and void the warranty OR send it back for a replacement and loose the nicer nitride finish. I told him I don’t care about the finish so let’s just send it back.

David was confident that if he milled the relief cut, it would solve the issue. Originally he had said that it’s a very light crack and it will not get any worse. I quickly told him that isn’t true as there are numerous photos online showing pieces of metal actually breaking off.

It was tempting to have him mill it as I’d probably have the gun back pretty quickly. But I would be nervous about voiding the warranty if anything happened later.

I just got off the phone with Cajun. He said I had 2 options. Have him mill a relief cut and void the warranty OR send it back for a replacement and loose the nicer nitride finish. I told him I don’t care about the finish so let’s just send it back.

David was confident that if he milled the relief cut, it would solve the issue. Originally he had said that it’s a very light crack and it will not get any worse. I quickly told him that isn’t true as there are numerous photos online showing pieces of metal actually breaking off.

It was tempting to have him mill it as I’d probably have the gun back pretty quickly. But I would be nervous about voiding the warranty if anything happened later.
I went out and shot mine yesterday and gave it a "good enough" cleaning last night. Wife's bringing home a box and I printed my prepaid RMA label up. Taking it to Londonderry hub tomorrow morning to drop it off.

I have read--although with no confirmation--that there might've been improper heat treatment on the batches where it's cracking and breaking. No idea if that was total BS or a made up idea, but I read it a few places when googling about this issue. If there's a chance that's true, I'd want a new frame.

After a more thorough cleaning last night I'm about 90% mine's pretty evident crack. Sucks to lose it so close to USPSA matches but I'd rather just get it over with.

Did you send the whole thing or just the frame? Would the they replace everything or just the frame? I was going to mail my entire pistol + 1 magazine.

I went out and shot mine yesterday and gave it a "good enough" cleaning last night. Wife's bringing home a box and I printed my prepaid RMA label up. Taking it to Londonderry hub tomorrow morning to drop it off.

I have read--although with no confirmation--that there might've been improper heat treatment on the batches where it's cracking and breaking. No idea if that was total BS or a made up idea, but I read it a few places when googling about this issue. If there's a chance that's true, I'd want a new frame.

After a more thorough cleaning last night I'm about 90% mine's pretty evident crack. Sucks to lose it so close to USPSA matches but I'd rather just get it over with.

Did you send the whole thing or just the frame? Would the they replace everything or just the frame? I was going to mail my entire pistol + 1 magazine.
I think I did read about the heat treating somewhere online. It may or may not be true. Then again if that were the case, why bother creating that relief cut? Maybe that's an added layer of protection against cracking?

I sent the whole gun to cajun as that's what they requested I do. Didn't include the mags as I've long since sold the factory mags and replaced them with MecGar 10 rounders and springer precision basepads.

I really didn't want to send it back. It was soooo tempting to have them mill the relief cut but who knows if that would have fixed it? That doubt would drive me insane.

At least CGW is making it right with you and they're going to put their kit in again and smooth/polish everything. I don't know what to do with mine.

I think I did read about the heat treating somewhere online. It may or may not be true. Then again if that were the case, why bother creating that relief cut? Maybe that's an added layer of protection against cracking?

I sent the whole gun to cajun as that's what they requested I do. Didn't include the mags as I've long since sold the factory mags and replaced them with MecGar 10 rounders and springer precision basepads.

I really didn't want to send it back. It was soooo tempting to have them mill the relief cut but who knows if that would have fixed it? That doubt would drive me insane.
Yeah, maybe it's added protection, maybe the treatment is BS, either way, I'd probably go for the new frame.
I was going to send a factory 17 rounder with it. Now, I'm thinking I won't since the RMA says "inspect frame for damage."

Given your track record, I'd want to hold onto that warranty as long as possible [rofl]

I don't have any expectation of "swag" or other things (one guy said CZ sent him a stack of free mags); if they swap out my frame I'll be satisfied, anything extra would be icing on the cake. Better be closer to the "4" rather than the "6" side of things in terms of repair though.

Yeah, maybe it's added protection, maybe the treatment is BS, either way, I'd probably go for the new frame.
I was going to send a factory 17 rounder with it. Now, I'm thinking I won't since the RMA says "inspect frame for damage."

Given your track record, I'd want to hold onto that warranty as long as possible [rofl]

I don't have any expectation of "swag" or other things (one guy said CZ sent him a stack of free mags); if they swap out my frame I'll be satisfied, anything extra would be icing on the cake. Better be closer to the "4" rather than the "6" side of things in terms of repair though.
Yeah I don't think sending the mags is necessary.

With my track record, I need a warranty for my warranty[rofl]

At least CGW is making it right with you and they're going to put their kit in again and smooth/polish everything. I don't know what to do with mine.
Yeah that stinks. I guess you'd have to swap the factory parts back in before shipping it back? But you'd lose any polishing done etc.

I don't even think I've heard of CJ Maven. I'll have to google that guy.

I've been talking to a high volume USPSA Production shooter (Andreas Yankopolus) who's now had 2 shadow 2's crack. Here's what he had to say in his emails to me:

"The pistol runs fine after the metal breaks off the frame so long as it doesn’t get lodged anywhere important. When my first CZ broke, the chunk fell out during a magazine change. I didn’t notice a problem until I pulled the slide off. This time, the metal got lodged in the trigger and I found it almost immediately. It broke less than halfway through my practice session. I pulled out the piece and kept shooting.

This was my second S2 to break. Checking my pistol log, the first broke at 58k rounds and the second at 27k.

Just got an email from CZ-USA indicating that they received my broken pistol."

Interesting to hear that the gun still functions fine as long as the metal piece doesn't get lodged into the trigger mechanism...

If mine cracked completely at 57k rounds, I'd definitely be out of the warranty period. But this guy shoots like 60k plus rounds per year. I wish I had time to shoot that often[laugh]

I figured it would keep working, since the relief cuts are basically just removing a chunk where it would break, albeit less of it.

Those round counts would take me decades though.

I figured it would keep working, since the relief cuts are basically just removing a chunk where it would break, albeit less of it.

Those round counts would take me decades though.
Yeah it would take me awhile especially since I use a SP-01 Shadow for IDPA so they share the round count. What he shoots in a year will take many a lifetime....

Yeah it would take me awhile especially since I use a SP-01 Shadow for IDPA so they share the round count. What he shoots in a year will take many a lifetime....
I did the math, based on my first few months of my S2 it would take me 9.5 years.
I have only done matches every 4-6 weeks though, never done IDPA.

I did the math, based on my first few months of my S2 it would take me 9.5 years.
I have only done matches every 4-6 weeks though, never done IDPA.
So you'd definitely have it break after the warranty period. Though he says it still functions....I mean if it still functions then how concerned should we be? I just don't like the idea of chunks of metal breaking off my guns[laugh]

Whether it be a CZ or a Coonan....[laugh]

So you'd definitely have it break after the warranty period. Though he says it still functions....I mean if it still functions then how concerned should we be? I just don't like the idea of chunks of metal breaking off my guns[laugh]

Whether it be a CZ or a Coonan....[laugh]
If I get a new frame, I wonder if I'll end up with the blue or orange grips I see now.
I don't know what the broken piece might lead to; loose slide stop, more wear elsewhere, or absolutely nothing. In theory "removing metal" might weaken stuff, but depends on the forces at play.

I just figured if it's covered under warranty, getting to hit a reset button on the round count seems worth it to me. I only have 2500 down the pipe but I think I'd have more down if it weren't the winter months. Last summer I shot a lot more pistol than ever before, the 85/15 rifle/pistol split went to like 70% pistol. I don't want to think what might happen if I get a progressive press...

If I get a new frame, I wonder if I'll end up with the blue or orange grips I see now.
I don't know what the broken piece might lead to; loose slide stop, more wear elsewhere, or absolutely nothing. In theory "removing metal" might weaken stuff, but depends on the forces at play.

I just figured if it's covered under warranty, getting to hit a reset button on the round count seems worth it to me. I only have 2500 down the pipe but I think I'd have more down if it weren't the winter months. Last summer I shot a lot more pistol than ever before, the 85/15 rifle/pistol split went to like 70% pistol. I don't want to think what might happen if I get a progressive press...
Yeah it’s a no brainer to get a free replacement although if you have work done to it it’s kind of a pain in the ass

According to Fedex, my S2 was delivered to CZ in KC about three hours ago.
Now the waiting game begins...

According to Fedex, my S2 was delivered to CZ in KC about three hours ago.
Now the waiting game begins...
Nice. I assume/hope Cajun has shipped mine out. Then again I didn't talk with them until later in the day last friday. I'm sure they'll keep me posted.

Back
Top Bottom