Anyone else going to Maine?

Viper22

NES Member
I'll be headed up to a friends camp near Lincoln, Maine on 10/13 through 10/15. Just bought my non-res 3 day small game permit. We'll be up there for Grouse.

Anyone else going to be up there?

I stopped hunting in Maine years ago when they started opening the deer season for residents prior to the non-residents.
They can kiss my a$$.

It's only 1 day.. why is that such a bad thing? Feel like you're being kept out of a really good Black Friday sale at Macy's? [smile]

The residents get to shoot all the stupid deer which creates a definite problem for me. I like an opportunity at the dumb ones also.

Paying 5 times as much for a license as they do, I think I deserve that. I also used to enter the drawings for moose permits and

give the economy a boost. The sign on Int. 95 should be changed to say, "Welcome To Maine, Now Go Home."

BTW, I lived in Houlton and Monticello for years. [thinking]

The residents get to shoot all the stupid deer which creates a definite problem for me. I like an opportunity at the dumb ones also.

Paying 5 times as much for a license as they do, I think I deserve that. I also used to enter the drawings for moose permits and

give the economy a boost. The sign on Int. 95 should be changed to say, "Welcome To Maine, Now Go Home."

hehehe what about Youth Hunt Day which is the Saturday before resident-only day.. So, the kids really get the advantage.. Resident kids even moreso.. LOL! But I take your point. I'm hoping they won't start really acting stupid (read: full rut insanity) until later in the season.

And, to be honest, with the issues that we have to deal with (especially along the coast where I live) all summer from tourists making asses of themselves there are times when I would like to change the sign on I-95 to EXACTLY that..

also @deadhead.. I'm not trying to be a dick.. but after I re-read what I wrote I can see how it might be read that way.. I'm just being smart-ass funny.. (well trying to anyways..)

TBH if you did decide to come up and hunt Maine I'd love to have someone to hunt with as I am doing it pretty much on my own for the first time up here and, honestly I'm having some apprehension.. [grin]

Not sure if you are serious......

I guess what I was syaing was that if you want to whack the dumbest deer you can, why bother? Go to Hannafords and buy a much better (and cheaper) tasting steak.

I guess what I was syaing was that if you want to whack the dumbest deer you can, why bother? Go to Hannafords and buy a much better (and cheaper) tasting steak.

That was a joke, Pat. I don't need dumb deer. I just took the early resident season as a slap in the face after the thousands of dollars

I had pumped into the economy up there through licenses, moose permit applications, food, lodging, tolls, fuel, etc.

I started hunting in Maine in 1959 and did so for many, many years. Maybe I'm just getting to be a cranky old pr#$k. [thinking]

I was up fishing The Upper Magallaway 9/25-26. Dropped 3 Salmon landed 3 Brookies. Wish id gone later with 20ga lots of birds, should be good huntin. Suppose to go to Pittsburg Nh for Pah-tridge, but GD economy killed that trip along with NH Turkey. Please send cash....

I was born in Northern Maine. I have hunted there since a kid. In Aroostook County there are not a lot of deer, but, there are some pretty big ones. Up along route 11 heading towards Ashland and Portage there are a lot of old hunting camps for sale for really short money. This is because, in my opinion, Maine refuses to allow Sunday hunting. It is around an 8 hour drive to get there. If you drove all night Friday, you could hunt only Saturday. I think if the hunters had the option of hunting Sunday morning before heading home, there would be a lot more people willing to hunt up there. This would drive up the prices on these old camps. I know that the folks in Maine depend on out of state license fees to help there wildlife. If they had more hunters from out of state they would in turn have more income. I also think that if the prices went up on these camps, the locals couldn't afford them anymore. So I think, maybe it's not so much the state wanting no hunting on Sundays as it is the local population keeping it out of bounds.

I've hunted a lot of states and several countries, but, I miss hunting Maine in the fall. Maybe it's all the uncles and cousins that I used to hunt with that I miss more, I don't know. The Uncles are all gone now and most of the cousins have spread out around the countryside. Maybe I just miss being a kid and wandering around in the woods with a gun and just about crapping my pants when I saw a deer. Maybe you really can't go home again.

Sorry for the rant.

Sunday hunting:
The wildlife biologists base the # of doe permits on projected kill. Add Sundays and you will, at the very least, signifigantly drop the number of doe permits. Probably doesn't matter to a lot of hunters from away, as they might probably be after antlers anyways. But locals appreciate a full freezer (spare me any anecdotes about old time locals poaching to keep the freezer full).
They might even shorten the season. It's a balancing act.

I was born in Northern Maine. I have hunted there since a kid. In Aroostook County there are not a lot of deer, but, there are some pretty big ones. Up along route 11 heading towards Ashland and Portage there are a lot of old hunting camps for sale for really short money. This is because, in my opinion, Maine refuses to allow Sunday hunting. It is around an 8 hour drive to get there. If you drove all night Friday, you could hunt only Saturday. I think if the hunters had the option of hunting Sunday morning before heading home, there would be a lot more people willing to hunt up there. This would drive up the prices on these old camps. I know that the folks in Maine depend on out of state license fees to help there wildlife. If they had more hunters from out of state they would in turn have more income. I also think that if the prices went up on these camps, the locals couldn't afford them anymore. So I think, maybe it's not so much the state wanting no hunting on Sundays as it is the local population keeping it out of bounds.

I've hunted a lot of states and several countries, but, I miss hunting Maine in the fall. Maybe it's all the uncles and cousins that I used to hunt with that I miss more, I don't know. The Uncles are all gone now and most of the cousins have spread out around the countryside. Maybe I just miss being a kid and wandering around in the woods with a gun and just about crapping my pants when I saw a deer. Maybe you really can't go home again.

Sorry for the rant.

Well said, my brother. I can't tell you how much I miss our cousin Nick. The finest hunter I have ever had the pleasure of

hunting with. He taught me sooooo much every year and I have passed it on to my son, Sean, who is now a better hunter than

I ever was. We also probably won't have our cousin Wendell too much longer either. He used to visit the deer yards in the winter

and give the wildlife biologists the count of deer. I used to think nothing of throwing some stuff in the car or truck and driving up there for a

week or two when I was a lot younger. Maine turnpike went to Augusta then and there was no Interstate 95. Long ride then.

I sometimes long for those days again, but as you said, I guess you can't go home again. [sad2] [thinking]

Sunday hunting:
The wildlife biologists base the # of doe permits on projected kill. Add Sundays and you will, at the very least, signifigantly drop the number of doe permits. Probably doesn't matter to a lot of hunters from away, as they might probably be after antlers anyways. But locals appreciate a full freezer (spare me any anecdotes about old time locals poaching to keep the freezer full).
They might even shorten the season. It's a balancing act.

Another angle I didn't think of, thanks. I know that most of my relatives were in that boat. This was long, long before there was such a thing as a doe permit. I know that one of my uncles had 6 kids that grew up on venison . The times were hard and the game wardens knew what was going on and kinda looked the other way. If you were trying to feed your family it was understood. If you were poaching for antlers or even worse shooting a deer for someone from away, they came down hard on you. They didn't give anyone a break that shot a moose though. There was no moose season then.

I remember going to a hunters breakfast on opening day with my uncle. It was still pitch black out and one of the wardens asked my uncle if he was just getting back. Another question usually asked with a grin was " Hi Nick, did your wife get her deer yet?"

also @deadhead.. I'm not trying to be a dick.. but after I re-read what I wrote I can see how it might be read that way.. I'm just being smart-ass funny.. (well trying to anyways..)

TBH if you did decide to come up and hunt Maine I'd love to have someone to hunt with as I am doing it pretty much on my own for the first time up here and, honestly I'm having some apprehension.. [grin]

The last time I went to Maine hunting deer I went only as far as Searsmont. It was a Veterans Day weekend many years ago.

I went by myself as everyone else had already made other plans. I loaded my camper with food and headed up in time to arrive by daylight.

When I got there, I parked the camper and made myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and went hunting. About an hour later

I shot a deer and drug it out, loaded it up,went to the check station, and drove home. Haven't been back since.

Back
Top Bottom