• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone else into air guns?

nice I like air rifles but im more of the old school pumpers like sheridans and crosman 140/1400
Stepped into the pcp game with a Discovery and a hand pump.
My practice target rifle for indoors is a Daisy 853
I have done a few mods on the Disco, no where as nice as the stuff you got but Im getting moa with the disco after some work and tunes should I know that gun !
A82G1jXh.jpg

the 853 scoped for the kids to use
GTcUadnh.jpg

Before I got into firearms i was into air-rifles big time.

Have BSA R-10 SE (walnut /rosewood) .22cal that is top quality. Looks just like this one.
bsa-r10-se-super-carbine_1.jpg

I also have a Benjamin Bulldog .357 Bullpup, that shoots 140-160gr (.357cal) at +950fps. Good for small deer and Coyote at less than 100yards.
bpbd3kc_01_rtlogo.jpg

I do it oldschool. I have a Beeman P1 pistol and an R7 rifle, both 1990 vintage. Good for all the indoor practice you need. At one point I had an unusual 10M Olympic style rifle made by Gamo (before they were making plastic Wal-Mart guns) that I really enjoyed shooting. Eventually the seals failed and I couldn't find replacements so I sold it.

I started my oldest daughter's shooting career at the age of 4 with a Daisy BB gun. Now 6, Jill is the proud owner of a bolt-action .22 rifle. I passed the BB gun down to Lexi when she turned 4. Great way to teach kids the basics of shooting and the safe handling of firearms without breaking the family's monthly budget!

I have spent some time with my hatsan rifles lately. I have the 125 sniper in 25 cal and the matching 22 cal. Absolutely love both of these rifles !

I have spent some time with my hatsan rifles lately. I have the 125 sniper in 25 cal and the matching 22 cal. Absolutely love both of these rifles !
Those are good rifles. You can train with them because they have the heft and feel of a real .22 rimfire. When .22 rimfire ammo was hard to find a couple of years ago, you were still able to shoot economically. Smart choice!

125 is defiantly a bench gun ! But the 22 cal is small like a scout rifle. I sent my 125 out to a guy in Ohio to get “ tuned up “. They are both synthetic stocks in camo ! My 22 has a red dot on it , deadly

Truthfully I don’t know what’s 22 weighs but the pepper I’m shooting a 14.3 grain pellet. Defiantly hits with a punch

Those are good rifles. You can train with them because they have the heft and feel of a real .22 rimfire. When .22 rimfire ammo was hard to find a couple of years ago, you were still able to shoot economically. Smart choice!
Any type of "rifle/handgun" will work for keeping your shooting skills up. It need not match any other particular model .
The same skills are needed. Be it a 490fps 7 grain pellet at 10m to shooting a M1 garand at 600 yards

Any type of "rifle/handgun" will work for keeping your shooting skills up. It need not match any other particular model .
The same skills are needed. Be it a 490fps 7 grain pellet at 10m to shooting a M1 garand at 600 yards
I was talking about action types. Bolt action rimfire along with it's center fire cousin. Muscle memory. A friend only uses lever action rifles in .22 rimfire and center fire for the same reason. Like me, he only has to get used to one type of action.

I was talking about action types. Bolt action rimfire along with it's center fire cousin. Muscle memory. A friend only uses lever action rifles in .22 rimfire and center fire for the same reason. Like me, he only has to get used to one type of action.
its all good,

did an advanced search for squirrels, airguns and this appears to be the most appropriate thread.

condensed story: dealing with a squirrel who got into a blind rafter area over a cathedral ceiling for the past 2 weeks. finally got her out, repaired entry/exit hole. i say her because she is fat and probably pregnant.

wildlife extraction pro assures me birth is at minimum 2-3 weeks away, so nothing to worry about there. got about 8-10 shots at her last saturday, before i was able to get the hole fixed. gamo pt 85 @ 20-40 feet . tough to know if i got a hit

today, got another shot at her on the roof. 20-25 feet. 2 hours later, i hear scratching, she's hanging up-side down off the soffet right outside the kitchen door trying to get back in and got a close enough look to see a pellet stuck in the lower jaw with a blood ring around it. got another shot off as it ran. (carrying the gamo whenever at home the past week)

can't get a break barrel or any other rifle to take it down, just won't work to carry a rifle around the yard in my neighborhood.. pistol i can conceal and use it when i need it.

JUST HAPPY TO KNOW I HIT THE RAT BASTARD. i'm not as bad a shot as i thought.

trap is baited and when the fat lady is singing in the river i'll update.

Last edited:
gamo pt 85 is a paper target gun at best , you need 800 fps for a squirrel or more unless you can get a heart lung shot with a paint ball gun at 300 fps ( think cannon shot on a human )

Yeah - I agree with the above. I can’t imagine that being effective at those ranges. Do any of those CO2 cartridge type air guns get upwards of 500fps?

did an advanced search for squirrels, airguns and this appears to be the most appropriate thread.

condensed story: dealing with a squirrel who got into a blind rafter area over a cathedral ceiling for the past 2 weeks. finally got her out, repaired entry/exit hole. i say her because she is fat and probably pregnant.

wildlife extraction pro assures me birth is at minimum 2-3 weeks away, so nothing to worry about there. got about 8-10 shots at her last saturday, before i was able to get the hole fixed. gamo pt 85 @ 20-40 feet . tough to know if i got a hit

today, got another shot at her on the roof. 20-25 feet. 2 hours later, i hear scratching, she's hanging up-side down off the soffet right outside the kitchen door trying to get back in and got a close enough look to see a pellet stuck in the lower jaw with a blood ring around it. got another shot off as it ran. (carrying the gamo whenever at home the past week)

can't get a break barrel or any other rifle to take it down, just won't work to carry a rifle around the yard in my neighborhood.. pistol i can conceal and use it when i need it.

JUST HAPPY TO KNOW I HIT THE RAT BASTARD. i'm not as bad a shot as i thought.

trap is baited and when the fat lady is singing in the river i'll update.
this is not how you do it. One pellet in the jaw and probably other body injuries also. At 40 ft with the right power and pellet a jaw shot would take off the lower skull and the impact could shock them enough to put them down.

Yeah - I agree with the above. I can’t imagine that being effective at those ranges. Do any of those CO2 cartridge type air guns get upwards of 500fps?

that's my problem. all co2 pistols i've looked have less than needed fps. break barrel pistols are out there, but too long to conceal.

i am aware i'm under-powered. simple answer is a mid-level break barrel, but i can't walk around the front yard with a rifle.

update to my post #45. looks like rocky got the pellet out but the scars & hurt still remained. how that rat bastard had the tenacity to keep trying to re-enter my house i'll never know. but the saga ended 5 minutes after this picture
rocky.jpg

Cheapest useable air pistoil is a crossman 2240,50 bucks.i can hit 5inch circle 25 yards away with it. Great way to keep your gun skill up .some time i load 2pellets in there to made the gun hit harder at close range.

Last edited:
I enjoy air rifles as much as, if not more than, firearms. PCP's are simply amazing: quiet, accurate, fun. Started with a Gamo Urban .22 -- which is great BTW. Now I've got an FX Wildcat Compact .25 and EDgun Lelya .22.

So many great options in all price ranges. For those considering getting into PCP's you can't really go wrong with an Umarex Gauntlet, Gamo Urban or Diana Stormrider + a hand pump.

I’ve only done a quick google search, but you guys seriously shoot these things in your basements?

Damn cool looking. I thought my Crosman 760 circa 1987 was the $hit. I still kinda do, or just good memories. I still have it [inserting a virtual BB gun emoji here because EFF Apple and their deciding what we can have]

I am an oldie too and still maintain and shoot my Crosman 1400 pumper and 167 CO2 and Benjamin 397 pumper. In winter I work on precision in my basement 10m range with my Crosman Custom Shop 2300kt pistol and 2400kt carbine. These are CO2 guns with Lothar Walther choked barrels. The accuracy is great and the CO2 velocity is just right for precision. I am also a 22lr powder burner shooting for precision with my CZ Lux and KSA 722 Varmint. And we shoot a 5 gong steel game with various 22lr pistols. Ya, I have it bad but for me target shooting for precision rules!

You could get a crosman 1322 22cal pump.
But would have to pump it to max every time. Thats the miniumum for squirrel.
Squirrel is a small target.

Have you been casting your pellets yet? You and I both know you will.

Suck to have hip problems. Glad you can enjoy a new direction in your passion.

Back
Top Bottom