Anyone familiar with this trigger lock designed for the AR15? ***Review added

Does anyone have experience with this trigger lock designed specifically for the AR? It is manufactured by a company called Concept Development Corporation (www.firearms-safety.com). The LAW-LOK III is only available to Law Enforcement for a price of $43.95 shipped. I am considering picking one up.

AR15main.jpg

***Review***

From the pictures on the web site I thought the lock would be plastic. However, it is in reality made of aluminum. It has a very solid feel. As far as the function of the lock goes I have to say I am very impressed. The lock unlatches very easily with the key…it removes very fast and smooth.

This is the most expensive trigger lock I have ever seen. However…it is the real deal. If you need a lock that will be secure and fast release, this is the one.

lock1.jpg

lock2.jpg

lock3.jpg

Last edited:
It sure is pricey. However, it seems to be the only option of securing an AR with the mag inserted.

I have one that I use for my AR. I've never locked it with the mag, but I'll try tonight to see if I can or not.

It is really pathetic that a lock like this one, which can be opened with a any simple handcuff key, is Mass approved.

It is number 25 on the list:

The problem with conventional trigger locks is that they can be removed by simply taking the winter guard off.

Last edited:
It is also interesting to note that the "Master Lock: combination gunlock" is listed as number 34 on the list of approved locking devices. However, I know that that particular lock will not keep a person from taking out the trigger guard pin.

Someone may then wonder why I would shell out all this money on a $50 lock. I believe the problem is that a simple google search will bring up articles describing the fact that normal trigger locks will not secure an AR-15.

I believe a Mass prosecutor would use that info against a gun owner who secured their AR with a conventional trigger lock.

How about removing the charging handle? You could say that it is locked, and this big T-shaped thing here is the key you need to operate it.

Sold to LEO only?

Sure, requiring trigger locks makes a gun nearly useless for self-defense, but restricting trigger locks to LEOs only is a new one.

Looks like a good solution for locking an AR.
I'd be particularly interested to hear how easy it is to remove.
Some locks are hard to work, fast.

I didn't see anything on the website about the lock being sold to LEOs only (the markings on the AR have nothing to do with it).

There could be one problem though, and that could be obtaining a handcuff key
(not a real problem, I'm reasonably certain a person could find some online vendor that has no problem shipping a handcuff key to a civilian).

One other thing, I believe that it's illegal in some states for a civilian to own/posses (or at least carry on their person), a handcuff key. I have no idea if MA has such a law.

I called the company...they were the ones who informed me that I had to be a LEO to purchase one. I would not have a problem getting a key (I imagine the lock comes with one). However, I would be interested to know if carrying such a key is legal in Mass.

Looks like a good solution for locking an AR.
I'd be particularly interested to hear how easy it is to remove.
Some locks are hard to work, fast.

If I pick one up I will post about how easy it is to remove it. This appears to be my best option for storing a AR...I need something that will be quick release.

I called the company...they were the ones who informed me that I had to be a LEO to purchase one.

That's brilliant. The least they could do is put that information on their website.
I would not have a problem getting a key (I imagine the lock comes with one). However, I would be interested to know if carrying such a key is legal in Mass.

A search of the Mass General Laws didn't turn up anything.

How about removing the charging handle? You could say that it is locked, and this big T-shaped thing here is the key you need to operate it.

If you are storing that gun in MA, yours is not a good solution. Our law requires "a tamper-resistant mechanical locking device, properly affixed", or a safe or secure container.

Removal of the charging handle does not meet any of these criteria. [thinking]

Len,

The only problems I have with using a cable are: (1) many of them are so cheap they are hard to use...at least the ones I have seen. (2) I am not crazy about the idea of leaving the bolt open. This is probably not a big deal especially in light of the fact that I shoot the AR every two weeks.

I have not made up my mind yet. I have yet to find anyone who has ever heard of the thing (I have posted this question on 4 popular sites).

If you are storing that gun in MA, yours is not a good solution. Our law requires "a tamper-resistant mechanical locking device, properly affixed", or a safe or secure container.

Removal of the charging handle does not meet any of these criteria. [thinking]

That reminds me, do you have any opinion about the built in trigger lock that comes on the Remington 870 shotgun. Does that count as a tamper resistant mechanical locking device? It is very difficult to
turn the lock without the proper tool, but that tool is the same for every Remington and ships with the rifle. It seems to me that it would meet the criteria, even though it essentially takes a single master key, like the handcuffs, or like the "charging handle" key :)

This thread made me realize that I have never even considered if the locks will actually work.I use them because I have to and there is no way I would spend that much cash to get one that sorta works.

Just remove the firing pins or bolts along with the lock if anyone is really concerned.

Greg, all well and good if you want to apply commonsense. Problem is that "commonsense" in MA can get you 10 years at Walpole's posh "Cedar Junction"!

A locked zip case is the simplest solution. Meets the law. But we all know that a knife/razor makes short work of it. As of now, it still is considered compliant.

Use a secure container and skip the dumbass lock altogether. On top of that I
refuse to buy a lock from an "anti" company that won't sell to non LEOs. (I don't
see any real reason why they can't sell it, unless its a volume thing.... )

I refuse to use trigger or cable locks if I can possibly avoid
it. They suck. When I buy a new gun I bring a locking case with me
and put it inside that locking case. Even if I have to buy a trigger
lock, (or it comes with the gun) there is no law that stipulates you
must use that device. IMO a "secure container" is the way
to go. I got a nice AR type zipper case at FS for $60 and the zippers come
together and I put a small combination lock there. This should satisfy the
requirement for a "secure container". (Darius, someone tell me if I'm
wrong on that... but I always thought a locked case constitutes a
secure container by MA law. )

-Mike

Last edited:
I didn't see anything on the website about the lock being sold to LEOs only (the markings on the AR have nothing to do with it).

There could be one problem though, and that could be obtaining a handcuff key
(not a real problem, I'm reasonably certain a person could find some online vendor that has no problem shipping a handcuff key to a civilian).

One other thing, I believe that it's illegal in some states for a civilian to own/posses (or at least carry on their person), a handcuff key. I have no idea if MA has such a law.

Unless the law has changed (from ten years ago mind you) this should not be an issue. I was required to purchase and carry handcuffs for my first security job and didn't need any special permit or crap... but again... that was ten years ago...

I've seen more of this "Sold only to LE" thrown about than I can remember. Most of it is just marketing. Any ammo we ever bought, even the LE only was available to anyone, even in NJ. With the exception of certain sized OC and gas granades, pretty much everything we ever bought was not restricted. I see no reason this is available to LE only. In fact a handcuff key is one of the lest secure locking devices. We had people get out of them all the time by using all sorts of items such as a pen refill.

However, even dropping the trigger guard wouldn't free the device as it appears to be shaped the same is the trigger opening. I don't see it being worth that much money.

Are AR's just sat in the gun safe unlocked. I really don't see a LE use for this item.

Some departments require officers to lock up their ar's while being stored at home. The lock mentioned in this thread is the only trigger lock I have seen available for the ar.

Back
Top Bottom