Anyone have a favorite place to buy barrels?

So I posted before about wanting to buy an MK18 upper for my recently approved stamp, but success has been exactly ZERO for finding one in stock at a reasonable price (for Daniel Defense, obviously).

I thought about having my current barrel cut and re-crowned, but reviews are 50/50 for cutting a chrome-lined barrel, so I'm a little wary of that. Also, I wasn't sure if I'd have to replace the BCG due to having the gas system at a different length than the original. (Background - currently have a 16" Troy Ind. upper/barrel assembly.)

Then I got to thinking I can buy a ~10.3" barrel and simply buy the rails to match. Then it hit me - I've never bought just a barrel before, especially one for an SBR build.

Can anyone either recommend a good site or relay a success story of a barrel cutting/re-crowning? Thanks!

there's a group buy for YHM underway, so if you were eying a 10.5 you'd be in business.

I'm looking for an 11.5, myself and am very tempted by the prices on http://www.shop.masdefense.com/556-NATO-223_c8.htm - but can't get a solid read on the company. The barrels are outsourced and have no markings, I've heard of people getting the wrong barrel extensions, and no response from customer service. On the other hand, some people swear the barrels are great, super accurate, and the owner Mario responds within minutes to emails and customer issues. Seems like a coin toss to me. I wish YHM made an 11.5 barrel - but they don't.

Afaik its hard to find a 10.3 barrel by itself. Most of the clone people seem to get them cut down. But I am only in the early stages of researching.

there's a group buy for YHM underway, so if you were eying a 10.5 you'd be in business.

I'm looking for an 11.5, myself and am very tempted by the prices on http://www.shop.masdefense.com/556-NATO-223_c8.htm - but can't get a solid read on the company. The barrels are outsourced and have no markings, I've heard of people getting the wrong barrel extensions, and no response from customer service. On the other hand, some people swear the barrels are great, super accurate, and the owner Mario responds within minutes to emails and customer issues. Seems like a coin toss to me. I wish YHM made an 11.5 barrel - but they don't.

For what it's worth, I bought a 7.5" barrel from MAS, along with a NiB BGC, gas block, quad rail, etc. Everything arrived fine, no issues with assembly, and it's been flawless in about 300 rounds. My experience has been very good….cheap parts that perform well. I'd buy again.

And yes, the BCG was properly staked!

For what it's worth, I bought a 7.5" barrel from MAS, along with a NiB BGC, gas block, quad rail, etc. Everything arrived fine, no issues with assembly, and it's been flawless in about 300 rounds. My experience has been very good….cheap parts that perform well. I'd buy again.

And yes, the BCG was properly staked!

Good to hear! I'm just about to pull the trigger, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom