Anyone have a lead on where to get ammo? This is getting ridiculous

Great advice, but many just will never listen. I've been preaching the "Shoot 1 , buy 2" mentality for the past 8 years and it clear to me that certain people will always cry during the cold times, yet just continue to do the careless happy dance during the comfortable times. 2017-2018 were the best years to stockpile anything gun related. I think the cheapest I saw 9mm ammo during this time frame was about $13.99 / 50 for plinker ammo at the LGS level ? LGS shelves were loaded all the time, and reloading components at full availability, even factory rebates were available! I took FULL advantage and bought up everything I could as funds permitted. I've lived through several gun panics since 2010 and I took action. I got zero sympathy for the whining gun guys that have lived through past panics whom should have known better. Adversely the 7+ million brand new gun owners whom have been blindsided by this current panic , I do show some compassion as it's a frustrating situation, and i've been there myself.
Bingo!! I cut some slack to the new gun owners but I have so many friends that never stocked up over the last few years. Had zero interest in splitting primer orders with me when there were sales/rebates etc. Snooze ya loose!!

Great advice, but many just will never listen. I've been preaching the "Shoot 1 , buy 2" mentality for the past 8 years and it clear to me that certain people will always cry during the cold times, yet just continue to do the careless happy dance during the comfortable times. 2017-2018 were the best years to stockpile anything gun related. I think the cheapest I saw 9mm ammo during this time frame was about $13.99 / 50 for plinker ammo at the LGS level ? LGS shelves were loaded all the time, and reloading components at full availability, even factory rebates were available! I took FULL advantage and bought up everything I could as funds permitted. I've lived through several gun panics since 2010 and I took action. I got zero sympathy for the whining gun guys that have lived through past panics whom should have known better. Adversely the 7+ million brand new gun owners whom have been blindsided by this current panic , I do show some compassion as it's a frustrating situation, and i've been there myself.

Why are you letting the brand new gun owners off the hook? Most of them had no use for the 2A until just recently, they're far more guilty of poor planning than the guys who didn't stack it deep enough.

I'm not necessarily talking about the new guys on here seeking advice/help, or younger guys just getting into it, but for the most part new gun owners could care less about the 2A. I shoot regularly on Sunday afternoons when the guys teaching the licensing class bring the noobs out for the live fire part of it. Mostly couples, mostly middle aged, surprising number of ethnic groups and I promise you that most of them voted for Biden. They have a gun they have never fired and a couple boxes of ammo that will sit in the safe and they'll be the first ones to turn them in of .gov demands it. They think that their getting a gun is proof that everyone can get one and that no one is taking away anyone's guns and that no one needs military weapons in the home. I have a number of people asking me to do a licensing class and I tell them to go to AFS, MFS, Patriot Firearms, etc. but they have more important stuff to do. Just the other night one guy says "yeah, I think I really need to do it now, they're coming for the 2A" and the guy has anti-Trump stuff all over his social media. He's been asking me about it for months.

Bingo!! I cut some slack to the new gun owners but I have so many friends that never stocked up over the last few years. Had zero interest in splitting primer orders with me when there were sales/rebates etc. Snooze ya loose!!
c'mon. stocking up ammo in most minds had same much sense as stocking up gasoline for a car.
it will change now, of course, but, i bet, if prices will lower again and remain low for at least an year - it will all repeat itself again.

Stopped at BassPro Foxboro on Fri 11am as I was in the area.

There was plenty of 9mm and .300 and some 22
No 308 or 223
Believe it or not, folks in Massachusetts probably have an easier time finding ammo than folks in free states. I left Massachusetts in 2015, my new state of residence only requires a permit to carry a gun. That means everyone of legal age (and not a PP) can purchase guns or ammo. I have not been able to find any calibers I shoot at my local Cabellas or gun shops for many months nor several guns I am interested in.

Fortunately I have enough ammo that would keep me shooting for 6-12 months, but not knowing when/if things will be back to "normal ", I am limiting my range trips.

So if you are able to find some ammo you need even sporadically, consider yourself lucky!

most people I,know with disposable income are not buying guns or ammo.
Lol i should have been more specific, "people who have done well for themselves and actually like guns. " There are either far less of them in the deserts or they're skinflints. I tend to think it's mostly the former. I know a few serious collectors from there, too, don't get me wrong. Of course right now that region obviously is going to see a boost from what's going on but I don't think it will have any staying power long-term. You need whales and regulars to keep a gun shop going during lean times.

LOL!!!!! [laugh] Always up for some good "Ted the Rat" bashing chatter, but I think drgrant is way off base if he thinks the area is poverty central and a gun desert. You think Bass Pro located there because no one in the area has any money? I think there is plenty of money and plenty of gun interest down there too. However, drgrant is right that Bass Pro certainly did play a part in helping to kill Ted's business.

Ted is old, tired and sickly. He just wants to retire. He tried selling his shop, but he asked a lot and there was zero interest. So he sold off most everything, cut the place down to the size of a linen closet and survives to this day somehow on local club members. There is nothing there of interest to most people. A sad ending for sure, but it's really a slowing down into (semi-) retirement thing. It's not due to any lack of money or gun interest in the area.
Lol, BPS sells a shitload of other stuff other than guns.... they're not dependent on gun/accessory sales to survive.... not to mention that BPS sells a lot of Chinese junk products with high markup more than likely like most box stores do. plus it's located in an area which basically is the only tourist trap in the armpit that's not on the cape.

I agree however that Ted's problem is mostly of his own doing.

It's also worth noting that that area technically really isn't in the armpit it's barely like just off the edge of it I'll have to dig up the graphic later and post it.... [laugh]

Is Ted the NortheastTrading guy in NA? The one who ratted on online ammo sellers? I'll never forget I was transferring a spikes tactical lower there many many years ago and he kept calling it "Spuds Tactical" over and over again. The young lady behind the counter had to keep correcting him could tell she was annoyed. This place also charged taxes on the transfer.

I dont know why but I read the title a few times and kept reading it ad “need lead for ammo” lol

I was talking to a nurse at work the other night, she told me her and her husband weren't really shooting because they were down to nine rounds of 9mm. Yup, 9 rounds. Not boxes, ROUNDS.
Now, that is what I'd call a critical family ammo shortage! 🤪
Maybe they're Swiss or something.

Why are you letting the brand new gun owners off the hook? Most of them had no use for the 2A until just recently, they're far more guilty of poor planning than the guys who didn't stack it deep enough.

I'm not necessarily talking about the new guys on here seeking advice/help, or younger guys just getting into it, but for the most part new gun owners could care less about the 2A. I shoot regularly on Sunday afternoons when the guys teaching the licensing class bring the noobs out for the live fire part of it. Mostly couples, mostly middle aged, surprising number of ethnic groups and I promise you that most of them voted for Biden. They have a gun they have never fired and a couple boxes of ammo that will sit in the safe and they'll be the first ones to turn them in of .gov demands it. They think that their getting a gun is proof that everyone can get one and that no one is taking away anyone's guns and that no one needs military weapons in the home. I have a number of people asking me to do a licensing class and I tell them to go to AFS, MFS, Patriot Firearms, etc. but they have more important stuff to do. Just the other night one guy says "yeah, I think I really need to do it now, they're coming for the 2A" and the guy has anti-Trump stuff all over his social media. He's been asking me about it for months.

Even if they didn't vote for biden, I have a bunch of mostly older trumpette friends (not on NES) that are still way behind the 8 ball. I have difficulty feeling too bad for them and when they want ammo I soak them at market rate without hesitation. Whatever my likely replacement cost is. "Like dude, I told you about this shit years ago. You've lived through three obamascares and an ammo shortage is news?"

I made a few exceptions for people that had a reasonable excuse and got them some stuff below market. I got a couple more care packages to send out though and then thats the
end of that....

Not to mention some of them I have been reminding about this shit since before covid. "Hey ammo is disappearing, you might want to buy some before it goes full retard" They had ample opportunities to buy shit up until about the middle of summer but its like they can't be bothered or something. WTAF.

Then they are the first people to call you when there's no ammo left and they still want to play role-play as "1 box weekend shooter faggot guy " and you have to do "gun babysitting".

The fun part is 9 out of 10 times its never someone who had a means problem, either. So they can't use money as an excuse. It's because they were lazy.

I'm sure this is a dumb question given the circumstances, but does anyone know how to get some pistol ammo? I'm literally just looking for a couple of boxes for range time. I live near a Bass Pro and I haven't seen shit for months now. This is getting ridiculous. Is there a better time to go to ensure they might have a few boxes?

This is a rant, but god damn this is why I hated working in the gun industry. The ridiculous swings of "all out panic buy" to "nobody buy anything" is just so annoying.
Get used to it. It's bad even in Texas.

I went into Bass Pro in Savannah last week.
Their handgun counter had about 20 guns in it, (usually has about 100). Quick glance at them showed that the ones left were high dollar items.

No primers, (empty space behind counter).
Reloading aisle had no brass, powder or projectiles.

Handgun ammo aisle has been filled with other product.
Approx 10 boxes of shotgun shells on the shelf - (4) very expensive 12GA, $41/box, the others were .410.
Couple boxes of obscure rifle caliber ammo on the shelf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talked to a friend of mine yesterday. He just bought a 7.62 SOCOMM for 2K, (from a LGS, not Bass Pro). They sold him one box of ammo with it; wouldn't sell him more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys I shoot with, that don't reload, are hurting for ammo.

Shooters yesterday I got 2 packs of small pistol primers and a can of unique. 2 packs is the limit on primers.....they are under the counter have to ask for them.

There were two boxes of Winchester .270 Win. and 243 Win. at the Westerly, RI Walmart last week.
$17.54 or so for the .270 Win.
Buy the .270 and you can pull them apart for the brass, powder and primers. Convert the brass into .30-06, 8mm Mauser, 7.65 Argentine, 7.7 Japanese or some other useful caliber.

How about free ammo?
I have a few milk crates of my .44 reloads; I no longer have the Redhawk. These are mostly cast bullet loads, 200gr to 310gr. Some plated, some .44 Special. Mostly medium loads, except for the 310 grainers.
Come down to my simple range (40 yards) and you can shoot with free ammo provided. Shoot at your own risk. Brass will be left behind.
Range use: $40 per hour. One shooter only with sole use of range. You may shoot steel, paper, balloons, water-filled cans/milk jugs (you provide).
January 2021 only.

Attachments

• LeeC430-310-RF.jpg
    LeeC430-310-RF.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 4
  • fortyfours.png
    fortyfours.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
2 packs as in 200 primers? Ouch.... they doing the ktp now.....
Yes 200 each. But if your out.....200 is better than nothing. The key is you have to ask at the reloading center. They are not out in view

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom