Anyone have a UPIN

AMV

NES Member
I applied for a UPIN back in september, a couple weeks later I received a letter from FBI, verifying my identity and my prints, The letter stated they where forwarding my info to the NICS system, For those of you that have gone through this process how long did it take and did you eventually get a number or a card from NICS?

Fwiw. I have one and still am delayed constantly. My usual dealer on here can attest to that. However no cynical me will tell you Ymmv

edit. Mine took two years to cone in too. And anchor says a year and a half. It’s drastically shorter now that it’s done thru eforms...

Maybe less than 2 months, but that was early on back when it was first announced.

The responses I'm reading here (a year or more), seem to be the norm now, and with the sudden onslaught
of new, first time gun owners over the last 6+ months, I wouldn't be surprised if the wait time has gotten even longer.

I'm sure it will take many months.

I applied 10 ten years ago and got it in a couple months.

My PIN is about 8 numbers long and also has 2 letters.
I have the original letter along with a encrypted transcription on a document on my iPhone.
Keep it with your LTC PIN.

Thanks everyone, from the quick reply from the FBI I thought is was a relatively quick process. I'm prepared to wait now

Thanks everyone, from the quick reply from the FBI I thought is was a relatively quick process. I'm prepared to wait now
Just keep your story consistent and you'll do just fine.
tumblr_inline_okpl97q4eN1sao3d6_500.gifv

There are old UPINs and there are new UPINs. The old UPINs you applied by mailing in the application with your prints. These took 9+ months. When you finally got a UPIN it was often a disappointment. It still went to "Researching" when a background check was performed. It requires a human at the FBI to match the UPIN to your name and confirm it is all good. When they are busy it would still time out and you would get a "Delayed". This sucks

Then there is the new UPIN. Recently they started accepting UPIN applications online. They are done completely online. You take a picture of your filled out fingerprint card and upload it as part of the online application. Our customers typically get a new UPIN in about 7 days. Think of it as the equivalent of a online Form 1 vs a paper Form 1 (30 days vs 9+ months). The new UPIN is better than the old UPIN also, not just faster. When we do a background check with it, we get an instant "Proceed". If I mistype the UPIN or the persons name, I get an immediate error saying they do not match. Clearly the computer is doing the match and when it succeeds, you get a proceed. No more dependance on a human to look at it and not be off on their permanent coffee break.

So if you don't have one and suffer delays, apply.

You can order the fingerprint cards here: Distribution Center Order Form | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

You can self print and get an inkpad at amazon or stapes or cvs or...

You can watch videos on youtube on how to print yourself correctly (roll, no pressure).

i got one a couple year back, 18 months total time, no card, just a letter giving my unique upin. 1st transfer went through without delay after i got it, 2nd and subsequent transfers still delayed
I get delayed regularly. Looked into UPIN but read alot of stories like that so thought why bother.

Motherfuhkin infringement😖

Several years ago sent the fingerprint card and application. Forgot all about it. Months later (8-9?) got a letter from the FBI. After initial panic, opened it to find something along the lines of "we're working on it". Forgot all about it. Another 8-10 months go by, another FBI letter, "oh yeah, forgot about that wonder if this is my UPIN..." Yup... So 18-20 months for me. I get delayed less now.

Basically I try to avoid evenings/after 4pm, Fridays after 1pm and weekends. Seems to work.

There are old UPINs and there are new UPINs. The old UPINs you applied by mailing in the application with your prints. These took 9+ months. When you finally got a UPIN it was often a disappointment. It still went to "Researching" when a background check was performed. It requires a human at the FBI to match the UPIN to your name and confirm it is all good. When they are busy it would still time out and you would get a "Delayed". This sucks

Then there is the new UPIN. Recently they started accepting UPIN applications online. They are done completely online. You take a picture of your filled out fingerprint card and upload it as part of the online application. Our customers typically get a new UPIN in about 7 days. Think of it as the equivalent of a online Form 1 vs a paper Form 1 (30 days vs 9+ months). The new UPIN is better than the old UPIN also, not just faster. When we do a background check with it, we get an instant "Proceed". If I mistype the UPIN or the persons name, I get an immediate error saying they do not match. Clearly the computer is doing the match and when it succeeds, you get a proceed. No more dependance on a human to look at it and not be off on their permanent coffee break.

So if you don't have one and suffer delays, apply.

You can order the fingerprint cards here: Distribution Center Order Form | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

You can self print and get an inkpad at amazon or stapes or cvs or...

You can watch videos on youtube on how to print yourself correctly (roll, no pressure).

I submitted my application though the mail with prints, never herd of the online application,

I never heard of the online application either. I submitted my prints by mail in September and haven't heard a thing. Their web site says they are working on August 2019 applications now. When I checked it in September they were working on July 2019.

Can someone share the electronic application link.

I never heard of the online application either. I submitted my prints by mail in September and haven't heard a thing. Their web site says they are working on August 2019 applications now. When I checked it in September they were working on July 2019.

Can someone share the electronic application link.
It’s in my post above

do you think it would be a bad thing to submit an online application with a mail in already in the system??

I posted earlier that I had submitted my prints and application by mail in September. In today's mail I received a letter from the FBI with my UPIN. Only a 3 month wait. Their website says they are still working on August 2019 applications.

@CrackPot based on your experience are all new upin transactions successful? Based on stories above, some seem to still get delayed. When did the “new” upin go into effect? Do you think a upin application in process could delay a normal transaction? IE I apply for upin but keep purchasing as normal until I get it.
Thank you

@CrackPot based on your experience are all new upin transactions successful? Based on stories above, some seem to still get delayed. When did the “new” upin go into effect? Do you think a upin application in process could delay a normal transaction? IE I apply for upin but keep purchasing as normal until I get it.
Thank you
Since they started enabling online UPIN applications, all online application based UPINs that my customers have gotten result in an immediate proceed. Paper based applications (which was all they had until recently) always go "researching" which requires a human to match the UPIN number to the name before a proceed is received. This results in delayed about 20% of the time in my experience.

Continued purchases should have no impact on the UPIN application as these are totally unrelated activities.

Online UPIN applications usually receive a UPIN in about 7 days. Paper applications are measured in months, usually double digit months.

I have had 2 form ones pending since october, Sent my VAF for a upin around the same time, not sure if this could hold it up or not

I did mail in at least 6-7 years ago. I do not think it took more than a few months. Had 100% delays before upin and 100% proceeds since.

I am sure covid slowed the process, I got mine in about 12 months. Amazingly I haven't bought a gun yet to see if it works and I don't get delayed...I am a slacker obviously

Back
Top Bottom