Anyone have any deer hunting tips with this deep snow?

I’m with you on that. I would prefer a private, quiet, sanctuary type environment but that takes time to obtain. I’m working on it though and after what I’ve experienced thus far I will surely find myself going the route of bow hunting in a mobile setup. I’m already gathering some funds for a Mathews and Lone Wolf.
It takes years to obtain and a lot of luck. Unless you know someone finding private spots in CT can be tough. For bowhunting there is a good anount of state land, even down south. Not as good as it used to be some towns have taken to sharpshooting massive amounts of deer at night.

Was just looking at CT deer regs as I live close to the border. Is it just me or are they confusing? between lottery permits private land baiting not baiting etc.

I do have a rope hoist block and tackle. Plenty of trees around, but it'd be one hell of a chore.

The snow depth here in Zone 4S has diminished significantly but I didn't venture out. My calf muscles are burnt from yesterday, but I'll get out tomorrow.

Part of yesterday's 4 mile hike:
View attachment 317511

Wow. You covered some ground and elevation. No wonder your calves hurt.

Shopping for crampons now...

You are going to need them for sure this year.

Was just looking at CT deer regs as I live close to the border. Is it just me or are they confusing? between lottery permits private land baiting not baiting etc.

They are pretty straight forward for archery. I don’t gun hunt as it is pretty spendy for what you get. In Connecticut the license and tags are sold separate for Rifle/shotgun and ML.

With you’re archery license you can hunt from September 15th until the end of the year on private and bow hunting only land. Baiting is only private land in zones 11 and 12. The January season is also private only zones 11 and 12.

Because the archery license is sold separate you also need to take the archery hunter safety course. The regular hunter safety course is only good for the gun seasons.

Bob

Last edited:
We lost a lot of snow but we’re gonna have some crunchy icy snow cover when it freezes back up. Maybe I’ll pull the tree stand back out and sit on acorn piles.

I agree I think the deer harvest for shotgun in MA is going to be super low this year. If the winter isn’t too tough I’d expect next year’s deer #’s to be up.

I just buy the archery liscense.

I hunt zone 11. So I can bait and hunt on Sunday on my private land spots.

Gun hunting gets confusing a bit and expensive for NR.

Must have written permission on Private land. As it should be everywhere.

We lost a lot of snow but we’re gonna have some crunchy icy snow cover when it freezes back up. Maybe I’ll pull the tree stand back out and sit on acorn piles.

I agree I think the deer harvest for shotgun in MA is going to be super low this year. If the winter isn’t too tough I’d expect next year’s deer #’s to be up.

East of zone 8 is a different world. Woods much smaller more hunters more deer.
Lot less snow and cold. I expect harvest to be normal at least there.

out here no one is hunting. They are shoveling snow, or the cant walk or park where they need to get to.

I’m in zone 9. We got 2 feet of snow. Hunting pressure has been way down. The rain knocked it down a lot early this week but it’s supposed to rain Saturday which will keep some guys out of the woods for the shotgun closer Saturday.

Southeastern MA, Cape Ann, cape cod, islands maybe have had an easier seasons.

Going back out for a full day tomorrow from early light to sundown. I will be sitting for a bit and stalking some. Lot of land to cover and since one deer is wholly processed I have room for another fatty female.

Going back out for a full day tomorrow from early light to sundown. I will be sitting for a bit and stalking some. Lot of land to cover and since one deer is wholly processed I have room for another fatty female.
I have Friday and Saturday planned to go out. I have high hopes for Friday. Patches of bare ground in the woods where I'll be hunting. May be a bit crunchy but we are doing some drives in completely unpressured areas so we should get some deer moving.

Saturday.....heavy rain.......ugh.

Kinda perfect in 4S right now, although a little crunchy in areas. Went out yesterday afternoon but I was too late. Deer had moved up to higher ground earlier in the day during the snow event, and I was down low. I've ordered some crampon-compatible boots, so there shouldn't be any icing for the rest of the season. You're welcome.

I have Friday and Saturday planned to go out. I have high hopes for Friday. Patches of bare ground in the woods where I'll be hunting. May be a bit crunchy but we are doing some drives in completely unpressured areas so we should get some deer moving.

Saturday.....heavy rain.......ugh.
You should be successful then if virgin ground. I did 8 miles today in hilly terrain on an area that was super busy with deer in early fall. Snow was a little crunchy under pines but pretty soft otherwise. Today? Plenty of tracks made early yesterday or last night all leading right to residential neighborhoods and private land after a very pressured period since last week. Real bummer. I should have not wasted my time but I did comb a lot of areas and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.

Congrats to the kills. I got out maybe 4-5 times. 3 in shotgun and twice in black powder, I think. The first Saturday was tough with the deep snow and cold. It reminded me of snowmobiling trips in Fort Kent, Maine. Tons of tracks and other sign in prescouted spots. Many hunters we ran into in Oakham that day (Peal Harbor Day- the 7th) said they saw nothing. Other experienced people mentioned that the deer were "yarded-up" and not moving. On the last day, New Year's Eve, I started tracking in a DCR watershed spot and found a feeding area and sat until 4:45pm- the bitter end. I will definitely try tracking prints in the snow as far they go, next season, and see if I can come up on them. All the good tips here are great to employ, but these MA deer are smart and unpredictable and nothing is a sure thing. But only a matter of time and adjustments.

Now that the season is over, I saw a beautiful huge buck at the end of the runway at Worcester airport. Certainly no hunting near the airport, and I don't think discharging a firearm is even allowed in Worcester, but not positive on that. When I was at UMass, I had a friend from Chicopee who said they used to hunt at the end of the airport there in the tall marshy grass.

Now that the season is over, I saw a beautiful huge buck at the end of the runway at Worcester airport. Certainly no hunting near the airport, and I don't think discharging a firearm is even allowed in Worcester, but not positive on that. When I was at UMass, I had a friend from Chicopee who said they used to hunt at the end of the airport there in the tall marshy grass.
I travel over by the Worcester airport a lot and see a ton of deer at the end of runway and over on Godard memorial drive. Not sure if you can hunt anywhere in Worcester city limits

Back
Top Bottom