• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone here on VA disability

I've been on VA disability for just over 3 years. IU disability which means my service connected disability prevents me from maintaining any "substantial gainful" employment. I was fired from my job due to my service connected disability.
I had no issues going through the process and so far have no complaints about my medical treatment from the White River Junction VA in Vermont.
Anyone else have experience with the VA system? Good-bad experiences?

I have worked until yesterday with most of the VAs in the Eastern area. I can tell you that based on what I have seen, WRJ VA looks like one of the nicest VAs out there.

I've been on VA disability for just over 3 years. IU disability which means my service connected disability prevents me from maintaining any "substantial gainful" employment. I was fired from my job due to my service connected disability.
I had no issues going through the process and so far have no complaints about my medical treatment from the White River Junction VA in Vermont.
I’ve had good and bad. Have you been on IU for 3 three years or did you claim it 3 years ago and are waiting for decision?

Ok. Just make sure you continually seek treatment for your injuries because the VA can re-evaluate you and reduce or revoke your benefits. Are you over 55? If so you should be ok, but still seek treatment for your injuries to show the VA you are not getting better.

I've had a low rating for my back/knees/tinnitus since I got back from overseas in 2012. I don't think anyone who has got back from overseas the last decade is looking at anything less than 30%. When I went in for my comp/pen appointment I didn't expect anything and told them I just wanted minor aches and pains documented, I was shocked I got a rating. Frankly, I think the pendulum may have swung too far, and some veterans take advantage of that. I fear the downstream effects may be a clamp down. It's true the VA used to dick seriously injured people around and deny their claims, now they approve virtually everything.

For what it's worth at my annual physicals at the VA I have told them that though my ears still ring, the discomfort in my back and knees has improved, I even re-joined the military last year and have held a Class 1 flight physical since then (though they did evaluate my range of motion). The VA still seems to have no intention of re-evaluating me. My experience with the VA has been positive, great benefits and in Boston great healthcare, but administratively the system is antiquated and a headache. Unfortunately this hurts many of the people who need help the most. My wife has a significantly higher rating due to a pretty serious back injury, a TBI, and some other issues, and she does get periodic re-evaluations.

One huge benefit, that may or may not be applicable to you, is that by virtue of having a rating over 20% you are eligible for vocational rehabilitation. This is essentially a bottomless GI Bill designed to help you find employment. I used this program to fund my $200K+ legal education as well as the rest of my undergrad. I went to UMass with a Marine who is about to finish his MD on the same program -- they covered his undergrad and medical school, probably close to half a million in education. My wife is taking advantage of the same program to get her NP/Nurse Midwife degree through Georgetown.

I'm not sure how old you are, if you're ready to just hang out for the rest of your life, how limiting your injuries are, etc. But frankly, I'd find something I'm passionate about learning, and get the free education. For much of this time you can concurrently draw BAH based off the location of your school. Almost every one of my veteran law school classmates was using this program, pulling in about $3200 a month in BAH for Boston. Like all the VA benefits, getting initial access can be a pain in the ass, but once you are in the program it's great.

About the ONLY thing I know about VA disability is that if you appoint a fiduciary to handle your money, you are automatically considered mentally defective and cannot possess firearms under federal law, nor can you pass an NICS check, nor can you get a Mass LTC or FID.

The VA is notoriously for lowballing, especially back and knees. If you have significant difficulties in life because of these and you are rated for them u can file a secondary PTSD claim. PTSD is a serious issue,especially if it’s secondary to physical injuries. The VA combined both my TBI’s and PTSD into 1 rating. Something to think about. Good luck.

About the ONLY thing I know about VA disability is that if you appoint a fiduciary to handle your money, you are automatically considered mentally defective and cannot possess firearms under federal law, nor can you pass an NICS check, nor can you get a Mass LTC or FID.
Not true. That’s what OBAMA tried and Trump overturned. However, what does the form 4473 say if you’ve been judged mentally ill? So if you’ve stayed overnight at a VA hospital for PTSD and have a PTSD rating for it then yes you might be in trouble. But if you are 100% from multiple physical injuries and can’t make it to the bank and do errands. your wife has to do them that does not mean you lose your Second Amendment rights. Not trying to mess with you, I have a lot of experience with the VA claims and this kind of stuff.

Not true. That’s what OBAMA tried and Trump overturned. However, what does the form 4473 say if you’ve been judged mentally ill? So if you’ve stayed overnight at a VA hospital for PTSD and have a PTSD rating for it then yes you might be in trouble. But if you are 100% from multiple physical injuries and can’t make it to the bank and do errands. your wife has to do them that does not mean you lose your Second Amendment rights. Not trying to mess with you, I have a lot of experience with the VA claims and this kind of stuff.
Obama tried to do that with a representative payee for social security benefits. Maybe they restored the rights as described in this article from last year.

Congress Tries Again To Restore Gun Rights To Veterans With Caretakers

Obama tried to do that with a representative payee for social security benefits. Maybe they restored the rights as described in this article from last year.

Congress Tries Again To Restore Gun Rights To Veterans With Caretakers
Yes, you are correct. Obama did this with SS because it was like a back door ban because guys on VA disability are most likely on SSDI too. Remember, this statute applies to “mentally ill veterans” not just physically disabled. I know guys that use this and are fine. However, I know guys that are going to get into a lot of trouble with there PTSD and fibbing on the 4473. Thank you for posting that article, I thought Congress shored this up already. This is a very personal and important subject for me as well as you I would assume. I don’t want Veterans losing there 2A when they shouldn’t and I don’t want our mentally ill Veterans having a means to kill themselves. 1 Veteran suicide a day is too much.

I’ve been in the VA health system since 68. There were some horror shows back then, you could make a bad anti-war movie about the conditions at New Haven VA hospital. I spent most of my adult life in Colorado, treated at Denver VA. Very good facility and staff. Moved to Maine in 2013, went to Togus. This place excels. Outstanding staff, and everything that brings with it.

To revive this post...

I have had excellent service at all the VA locations I have used, mostly in Worcester. I show up early and usually get in early. My Dr has called me twice, on her own not because I called her. Service is superior to the local medical group in my area.

Veterans, if you are in need of healthcare or just want some options, go to VA.gov and apply for the healthcare. Read about the priority groups and (possible) co-pays. Remember there are no premiums and it qualifies as insurance for the state and feds. Don’t assume you don’t qualify, apply and find out. I think you will be surprised.

FYI, a $15.00 co-pay, for a buddy, paid for the medical eye exam and 3 pairs of prescription glasses. With a disability rating of 10% or higher, no co-pay.

Last edited:
A fiduciary is completely unnecessary as you can have the $$ deposited into a joint account and have the representative payee spend money out of that account on your behalf; they just cant work with the VA on your behalf.

I never had any luck wih my claim for hearing loss and tinnitus as a Nam vet. Appeal after appeal and had a hearing with a traveling hearing officer in Prov. The hearing lasted about 5 minutes and then just as I was walking out she asked if I had a CIB and I stated yes, which proved to me me she never even looked at my record. After 3 years of appeals I just called it quits.

Almost 20 years of bad experiences and then last fall I won my appeal. Healthcare has always been good in JP and Westie. I hear white River is really good to. Keep going to your appointments cuz the VA luvs to f*** with guys and pull there benefits. God bless

Not true. That’s what Obama tried

I never had any luck wih my claim for hearing loss and tinnitus as a Nam vet. Appeal after appeal and had a hearing with a traveling hearing officer in Prov. The hearing lasted about 5 minutes and then just as I was walking out she asked if I had a CIB and I stated yes, which proved to me me she never even looked at my record. After 3 years of appeals I just called it quits.
That’s what the VA wants

A fiduciary is completely unnecessary as you can have the $$ deposited into a joint account and have the representative payee spend money out of that account on your behalf; they just cant work with the VA on your behalf.
Veterans are not losing there 2a rights because there wife’s are running the finances and paying the bills.

Track65, did you end up getting a rating for anything else? I made the same claims you did and 3 weeks to the day had a rating. This was in 2019. Not sure if you can just reapply again or what the process is. I know a couple of VA Liaisons (who are also veterans) that their job is to point veterans in the right direction.

PM me if you want their contact information.

Also, have you enrolled in VA healthcare?

Last edited:
I'm at 60%. Manchester isn't too bad. I had my annual over the phone this week.

My claim too 122 days from filing to back pay. Was actually pretty easy, but I had everything together and used a state appointed VSA. The state of NH has an agency that does nothing but help vets file claims.

My cousin is a nurse practitioner at WRJ.

Track65, VA has a very convoluted method for determining hearing loss. They have a chart that compares audiometry results with speech discrimination. Even with severe tinnitus you can usually hear the single words in the sound booth so you end up with 0% or 10% max. You need a private audiometry test to ensure the VA test is valid. Once the appeal period passed you can't file again unless you have new and material evidence indicating the condition has worsened. If you failed to mention CIB in previous claims that would likely be new and material. Did VA deny you based upon no service connection or was your high frequency hearing loss not severe enough?

I medically retired in February, 19 at 90%. When I put in an appeal and a claim for a few more things in April, had my C&P exams later in the month and by the end of August I was determined to be 100% Permanent and Total, got my backpay without issue and haven’t had any problems since. One of the guys at the VFW said because I’m permanent and total I won’t have to do anymore exams, is that true? I read something about dependents educational assistance I can use for my kids but I can’t find too much info on it. Has anyone here used it?

Back
Top Bottom