Anyone here shoot IDPA at the S&W Academy?

I'm looking for something else other than my regular training I do indoors for this coming winter, and IDPA is just the thing. The closest matches to me are at the S&W Academy. I was just wondering if there's anyone here that shoots there for the matches and what they think of them. I've heard they are a fairly low round count and are pretty slow moving, but I'd still like to go.

Is there anywhere else anyone can recommend in W. Mass, or NW CT that also has good matches, maybe with more stages or more rounds fired per stage?

I've been using Blackhawk SERPA holsters lately, which I know are IDPA "legal". For spare mag holders, they vary depending on what I'm shooting, but since I've mostly been shooting Glocks, it's been an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle dual mag pouch. Is that OK to use in a match?

Now for the big question. What about revolvers? I prefer to shoot them when I can. Are there side matches for revolvers or do you shoot alongside the auto shooters?

Thanks in advance for the help I'll get here!

You might want to follow the threads found under Pistol Competition.

I haven’t shot at S&W for a couple of years but the people that run IDPA there are great. It was usually a three stage match and was pretty good. They have real good SOs there.

I think the same people run IDPA at the Hartford Gun Club. Attached is a link to that clubs calendar.

http://www.hartfordgunclub.com/calendar.htm#idpa

Your Uncle Mikes holster is bad JU-JU in IDPA but most IDPA clubs won’t dock a new shooter (to IDPA) for using one until they get a legal one. You might want to watch a match before you shoot one or you can go to the Harvard club (East of Ft. Devens) tomorrow as they are having a Field day that includes a single IDPA stage that new shooters can shoot. You’ll need a gun a couple of mags. and some ammo.

You could contact Cross-X on this forum for information and or directions to Harvard’s Field Day. They are also having USPSA demo, machine guns shoots, as well as shot guns demos.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Now for the big question. What about revolvers? I prefer to shoot them when I can. Are there side matches for revolvers or do you shoot alongside the auto shooters?

Thanks in advance for the help I'll get here!

You can shoot them along with auto loaders. There are several divisions including two revolver divisions. We all shoot together but really only compete with people in the same division.

I've never been to S&W IDPA (hope to soon though) but have heard great things about them.

Your Uncle Mikes holster is bad JU-JU in IDPA but most IDPA clubs won’t dock a new shooter (to IDPA) for using one until they get a legal one.

The holster I use is a Blackhawk Serpa. I hold the spare mags in an Uncle Mike's kydex dual mag pouch. The Uncle Mike's dual mag pouch isn't legal, or did you think I was using an Uncle Mike's holster?

S&W is a great place to shoot and they make new shooters feel welcome. Go slow your first few shoots until you learn the ropes. They often have low light scenarios, so bring a flashlight if you have one.

They have some interesting scenarios. One that comes to mind was at a December shoot where you had to engage targets while dragging Santa to safety, then open the present he had left you which was a revolver and ammo which was used to engage the rest of the targets.

Is there anywhere else anyone can recommend in W. Mass, or NW CT that also has good matches, maybe with more stages or more rounds fired per stage?

I'd look into the USPSA matches at Westfield in addition to S&W. There would be a lot of crossover of shooters from the S&W league. It would be higher round count and faster moving. The people that run it have a lot of experience in both IDPA and USPSA.

S&W is a great place to shoot and they make new shooters feel welcome. Go slow your first few shoots until you learn the ropes. They often have low light scenarios, so bring a flashlight if you have one.

They have some interesting scenarios. One that comes to mind was at a December shoot where you had to engage targets while dragging Santa to safety, then open the present he had left you which was a revolver and ammo which was used to engage the rest of the targets.

Low light shooting will be fun. I took a no-light barricade class last winter and I continue to train like that about once a month.

Dragging Santa to safety, huh? And my daughter says he doens't exist!

I'll definately be there this winter, and I'll look into the USPSA shoots at Westfield, too. Hopefully they will have a flyer or something about their shoots at the MG shoot this year.

The Uncle Mike's dual mag pouch isn't legal, or did you think I was using an Uncle Mike's holster?
Yes I did, sorry.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom