• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone hunted the Missouri River breaks in Montana?

BigTimber

NES Member
So I’m days away from heading to the fort peck area in The Missouri River Breaks country and was wondering if anyone’s been there and has anything to say about it? Thanks for any insights.

I’ll answer my own question, after day one. Damn this is some hard frigging hunting. Up and down up and down mud here and there that only satan himself could have conjured up. Some of the hardest hunting I’ve done. Day one not many deer first half but bumped into a nice 4x3 at the end of the day, end of the hunt type buck if you already have a few, Not day one. Gods country. Tuff as nails and absolutely Beautiful. Pictures coming if I can figure out how to do it . Good luck to all you guys getting your hunt on 48393D35-19EE-4B6C-B9EE-4BCC444C7C85.jpeg 9C1EA321-08AD-4E6A-BBF8-171D85EBDE86.jpeg 9C1EA321-08AD-4E6A-BBF8-171D85EBDE86.jpeg 862BF370-0614-4404-A234-6EC6533DE21C.jpeg

Last edited:
btw This is public land. Left Boston at 8am Landed in Billings by 1pm and was in hells creek state park by dinner. The whole lake is surrounded by public land. It’s tuff but there’s some big boys in here. A 150 class deer is hanging up outside a guys door now. And bigger have been seen. No $4000 guides. A tag a plane ticket a rental truck and my rifle. Not much more involved. If you’ve dreamed it do it while the legs are still young.

Last edited:
Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.
Good luck.

Unfortunately the $650 price of the NR deer tag keeps me away. I hate paying expensive NR tags. But if everything else is DIY its not that bad. Dont get country like that aound here.

Would love to know the door to door price with rental/hotel included if you dont mind sharing.

Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.
Good luck.

Unfortunately the $650 price of the NR deer tag keeps me away. I hate paying expensive NR tags. But if everything else is DIY its not that bad. Dont get country like that aound here.

Would love to know the door to door price with rental/hotel included if you dont mind sharing.
Ruff numbers:
$650 tags
$700 truck, could have done better but waited too long.
$500-$600 plane
$600 or less lodging
$200ish food?
Taxidermist $600ish shipped. $150 euro.
$80-150 meat processing depending the way you go.
another $150 gas (depending)
Montana gps chip $100 (this is a must.)
PM if you ever want to do it.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. Just curious, what is a Montana GPS chip?
It’s a chip you load into the gps that not only tells you where you are but who owns the land down to the the fence line. It’s very easy to stray onto the ranch next door and not know it. And if you shoot a prize animal on the wrong ranch it can be big trouble out here.

Ruff numbers:
$650 tags
$700 truck, could have done better but waited too long.
$500-$600 plane
$600 or less lodging
$200ish food?
Taxidermist $600ish shipped.
$80-150 meat processing depending the way you go.
another $150 gas (depending)
Montana gps chip $100 this is a must.
PM if you ever want to do it.

Thank you!

I never include food. You have to eat anyway.

It’s a chip you load into the gps that not only tells you where you are but who owns the land down to the the fence line. It’s very easy to stray onto the ranch next door and not know it. And if you shoot a prize animal on the wrong ranch it can be big trouble out here.
Yeah. Well worth it. The locals probably would not be very kind to some Easterner shooting something on their ranch.

2 hours left of legal light on the last day of our Missouri River breaks hunt. Montana it just doesn’t get any better. Now I’m gonna take a 3 day nap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom