• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know anything about Bows?

I was playing Far Cry 3 and was like "This is a lot less dorky than I thought". So I started my interweb research and tried to educate myself a bit. I know bows are growing more popular and it seems cool, but I'm not sure if I'd actually like it. From what I've seen I think I'd like to try a recurve bow. Compounds have too many spinny thingies and doo-dads for my taste even though a lot of people seem to say they're good for beginners.

I was playing Far Cry 3 and was like "This is a lot less dorky than I thought". So I started my interweb research and tried to educate myself a bit. I know bows are growing more popular and it seems cool, but I'm not sure if I'd actually like it. From what I've seen I think I'd like to try a recurve bow. Compounds have too many spinny thingies and doo-dads for my taste even though a lot of people seem to say they're good for beginners.

Huh?

Last edited:
Not sure what the hell your talking about, but shooting a compound is fun. I'm sure traditional archery is fun too, but I'll stick with the compound for now.

I was shooting video game bows while making out with my girlfriend from canada...

Get a compound bow, more specifically a pse compound bow. Recurves are for people who read hunger games.

I was shooting video game bows while making out with my girlfriend from canada...

Get a compound bow, more specifically a pse compound bow. Recurves are for people who read hunger games.

Or prefers Olympic style, like my son. Just saying.

OP - I'd suggest a visit to Tepee Archery in Acton. They do a lot of target archery. They'll start you off right. Just be aware, with the rise of archery in the cultural context (yes the Hunger Games and the Olympics) have made equipment hard to come by.

Aloha

Or prefers Olympic style, like my son. Just saying.

OP - I'd suggest a visit to Tepee Archery in Acton. They do a lot of target archery. They'll start you off right. Just be aware, with the rise of archery in the cultural context (yes the Hunger Games and the Olympics) have made equipment hard to come by.

Aloha

Huh? Hard to come by? Where are you shopping?

Go and shoot both if the place has an indoor range you should be able to try them out. I shoot a compound and I love it. Also go lurk over on archerytalk.com and you will learn alot and see some sick bows

You know what PSE stands for [wink]

Right now, entry level recurve equipment is hard to come by. Compounds are much easier. I should have been more specific.

Aloha

archery is addicting, id go with a compound bow. start out with a light draw weight maybe 45 lbs, then you can always trade it in and upgrade. once you start slingin arrows youll never stop!

Not sure where you are located but if you want a great place for archery to talk with people who know the subject and get a chance to try some bows and get properly fitted D&G in Wells Me is great. Talk to Dick who runs the place low sakes pressie if any but a lot of knowledge and advice shared.

PSE is the jesse cohen of the archery world. Matthews rocks.

-Trolling via S3.-

archery is addicting, id go with a compound bow. start out with a light draw weight maybe 45 lbs, then you can always trade it in and upgrade. once you start slingin arrows youll never stop!

No way! Get the top of the line Mathews Monster 80# limbs and put Mathews stickers on your truck, Mathews t-shirts etc.. Top of the line 12 axis adjustable target sights and a 7ft stabilizer with side bars, throw a QAD rest on there as the cherry. Then show it to all your friends so they can marvel in your superior strength and obvious proficiency with archery.

No way! Get the top of the line Mathews Monster 80# limbs and put Mathews stickers on your truck, Mathews t-shirts etc.. Top of the line 12 axis adjustable target sights and a 7ft stabilizer with side bars, throw a QAD rest on there as the cherry. Then show it to all your friends so they can marvel in your superior strength and obvious proficiency with archery.

I have a Mathews DXT and a custom built long bow. The Mathews is far easier to shoot than an instinctive bow, a lot easier!

Cheesy pic of my longbow, he sent me some smokes with it to (BOTL). [smile]
photobucket-22365-1347801819279.jpg

I have a Mathews DXT and a custom built long bow. The Mathews is far easier to shoot than an instinctive bow, a lot easier!

Cheesy pic of my longbow, he sent me some smokes with it to (BOTL). [smile]
photobucket-22365-1347801819279.jpg

Thats pretty beautiful. I think I should start with a bow thats shorter than I am though. from what I've heard a longbow is a must have in every bearded recluse's arsenal, and I don't have a beard yet.

Obviously I know real life archery isn't like a video game, I'm not stupid. Westerns got me into guns, I don't think video games getting me into archery is any different.

Shooting a compound bow is kind of like shooting a gun (it's got a trigger, it's got sights, and they're generally capable of repeatable accurate shots). Shooting a traditional bow is like throwing a baseball (you need to learn as much mental stuff as you do physical to shoot it properly). I prefer compounds, but I'm still pretty new to it. They're way easier to learn on IMO.

You forgot that the stickers on the truck add horsepower too!

You forgot that the stickers on the truck add horsepower too!

[laugh2] Just like racing stripes and a carbon fibre hood on a honda civic (or similar car).

If the OP is still reading the thread and not just trolling: I think Teepee Archery in Acton would be a decent place to go for modern (Target/Olympic style) recurve archery stuff. They have an indoor range and will let you try some bows out.

If you want some traditional archery equipment - wooden recurves (or even longbows) then Hunters Rendezvous in Pepperell is good place to check out. When I told them I got a compound bow for hunting they lambasted me for using "training wheels" and said the only compound bows they sell are what they get in trade. Even though that was a little annoying they seemed like pretty good guys [laugh]

I'm gonna drive out to teepee this weekend I think. Let you know guys know how much of an ass I made of myself when I get back [hmmm]

You can also add a sight to a recurve.

For entry level, depending on where you live, Ace Archers in Foxboro has good classes, indoor and outdoor range, and a good selection of reasonably priced entry level equipment.

Shooting a compound bow is kind of like shooting a gun (it's got a trigger, it's got sights, and they're generally capable of repeatable accurate shots). Shooting a traditional bow is like throwing a baseball (you need to learn as much mental stuff as you do physical to shoot it properly). I prefer compounds, but I'm still pretty new to it. They're way easier to learn on IMO.

Back
Top Bottom