Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

I forgot how unfun shooting +p 38spl from the light snub nose was.

I have enough factory defensive ammo on hand to last me enough along with enough components to load up practice ammo for years now.

I thought I would be buying a .357 lever rifle, so I really stocked up on SPP and then just bought a .45 colt lever rifle instead this morning. Got everything I need to make some borderline irresponsibility powerful 260 grain loads for it. Should stop a deer in its tracks. Think 260 grains at 1,900 fps (2k fpe) with the recoil to show it.

I should pick up some lighter projectiles to mess around with at the range and pretend I'm Clint Eastwood.

I went to the dark side. I had given away some primers to someone who said they were out and I immediately saw them for sale afterwards. Left a bad taste, so I decided to stop giving away my extras.

That is equivalent to stealing someone's dog....despicable. Worthy of a beat down.

Out them so nobody else gets scammed by this greedy person. Its despicable.
Unfortunately it's a family member. Not my wife's uncle who asked for five individual primers. That guy is great.

Essentially someone who does these kind of things. I should know better by now, but karma comes around.

On another note, I have family in West Virginia and they've been able to buy 100 primers a day for months from a local shop for $5/100.

the chat window popup that asks "what stopped you from completing your purchase" is a real kick in the nads...
I liked it the last time. I managed to get the primers in the cart, and check out. Only to get a cancelation email 10 minutes later. Then a couple days later, I got an email asking me to leave a review on my purchase. That was a punch in the nuts for sure.

Unfortunately it's a family member. Not my wife's uncle who asked for five individual primers. That guy is great.

Essentially someone who does these kind of things. I should know better by now, but karma comes around.

On another note, I have family in West Virginia and they've been able to buy 100 primers a day for months from a local shop for $5/100.
Yup, can't choose family. I know first hand.

Second hand info says that primers are showing up intermittently at Cabela's (East Hartford) for $50ish a brick. No doubt limited purchases. You shouldn't need any CT permission to buy primers, but who knows what store policies may have been amended due to the panic? I'd call ahead, if you have to travel more than 15 minutes.

Yes, that is a bit underhanded, but some have no problem exploiting another's generosity.

It's been a few years but I tried buying components there- bullets, primers, etc. No go, even with my Mass LTC.

It's been a few years but I tried buying components there- bullets, primers, etc. No go, even with my Mass LTC.
Second hand info says that primers are showing up intermittently at Cabela's (East Hartford) for $50ish a brick. No doubt limited purchases. You shouldn't need any CT permission to buy primers, but who knows what store policies may have been amended due to the panic? I'd call ahead, if you have to travel more than 15 minutes.

Yes, that is a bit underhanded, but some have no problem exploiting another's generosity.
Yeah you need to have a CT nonresident permit and/or CT ammo permit. I bought powder and ammo from the CT Cabelas and BP a number of years ago when I was working down that way. Need the permits.

Though I think Hoffmans in Newington, CT would sell me powder/primers without the permit but anytime I bought ammo they asked for permit. Weird.

Really. It's not possible to buy ammunition w/o, at least a CT ammo certificate, but I didn't think they'd forbid component purchases.
I guess you can't argue, if it's store policy. That sucks.

With Biden and Lamont (and the other rejects: Blume, Murph and Tong) as rulers, I'd expect it to come to this...and more!

If you can get clarification on this from Runnings in Putnam, this outlet may be a bit closer to many of you Boston area shooters (but don't expect primer inventories to be very good there either).

Last edited:
Really. It's not possible to buy ammunition w/o, at least a CT ammo certificate, but I didn't think they'd forbid component purchases.
I guess you can't argue, if it's store policy. That sucks.

With Biden and Lamont (and the other rejects: Blume, Murph and Tong) as rulers, I'd expect it to come to this...and more!
This was in 2016-17 so things may have changed with their policies? Dunno.

Truth be told, I haven't trekked up to Cabela's since they had S&B primers for $19.99 and $24.99. I don't recall if the cashier asked for a permit, but I could have produced it regardless.
You are right, it could be a store policy. It isn't the law under CT statutes to my knowledge.

Yeah you need to have a CT nonresident permit and/or CT ammo permit. I bought powder and ammo from the CT Cabelas and BP a number of years ago when I was working down that way. Need the permits.

Though I think Hoffmans in Newington, CT would sell me powder/primers without the permit but anytime I bought ammo they asked for permit. Weird.

CT has three basic permits, (JAD will remind me again of the fourth).

Ammo permit - you can buy ammo with it.
Longarms - you can buy rifles, shotguns and ammo with it.
Pistol permit - you can buy pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammo with it - and it's your permit to carry (open or concealed).

Without any of these permits, you can't buy anything.
You do NOT need a permit to buy components.
Store policy may say you do, but that's policy, not law.

Your non-resident permit gives you the same rights as a resident permit.
You are of course limited by federal law - longarm must be legal in your state of residence, and you can only purchase a pistol in your state of residence.

CT has three basic permits, (JAD will remind me again of the fourth).

Ammo permit - you can buy ammo with it.
Longarms - you can buy rifles, shotguns and ammo with it.
Pistol permit - you can buy pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammo with it - and it's your permit to carry (open or concealed).

Without any of these permits, you can't buy anything.
You do NOT need a permit to buy components.
Store policy may say you do, but that's policy, not law.

Your non-resident permit gives you the same rights as a resident permit.
You are of course limited by federal law - longarm must be legal in your state of residence, and you can only purchase a pistol in your state of residence.
That's clear.

BP / Cabelas had a store policy last I was there, unfortunately.

I thought I would be buying a .357 lever rifle, so I really stocked up on SPP and then just bought a .45 colt lever rifle instead this morning. Got everything I need to make some borderline irresponsibility powerful 260 grain loads for it. Should stop a deer in its tracks. Think 260 grains at 1,900 fps (2k fpe) with the recoil to show it.

I should pick up some lighter projectiles to mess around with at the range and pretend I'm Clint Eastwood.

At the range in my 45 Colt lever guns, I tend to shoot 300 grain Hi-tek hard-cast that I've loaded to be just barely subsonic in my rifles. I think it's a hoot. No cans involved, but being subsonic still changes the way sounds to shoot. Unfortunately Missouri isn't selling those bullets right now. I'm loading them over Shooters World Auto Pistol, which I think is a hair faster than HS-6.

Just heard from a few friends of mine that D&L Guns in Warwick, RI had 60 cases of SPP last week. They were able to grab 5k and one of which who's a sponsored shooter by D&L was able to get 10k.
Cost was $70 per 1k. Not horrible considering. Nice to see a shop not charging $250 per 1k...

And of course, these are long gone now for anyone wondering.

Just heard from a few friends of mine that D&L Guns in Warwick, RI had 60 cases of SPP last week. They were able to grab 5k and one of which who's a sponsored shooter by D&L was able to get 10k.
Cost was $70 per 1k. Not horrible considering. Nice to see a shop not charging $250 per 1k...

And of course, these are long gone now for anyone wondering.

Nice to hear a story like that. I was one of the people making Ram's website error out this morning. I had heard somewhere that primers were completely diverted to factory use, but maybe that is not actually the case, or not quite. If they're managing to produce more primers than they can actually use, it makes me think we might get on top of this thing before the EoY, at least enough to buy primers on demand at $60 a brick or so. That reminds me, I'm going to delete all the cost information from my reloading inventory spreadsheet. First of all, it will be too much trouble to account for the variances in prices going forward. Secondly, I only kept track to make myself feel good about how how much I was "saving". Nowadays, I feel pretty good about just having ammo. :)

Nice to hear a story like that. I was one of the people making Ram's website error out this morning. I had heard somewhere that primers were completely diverted to factory use, but maybe that is not actually the case, or not quite. If they're managing to produce more primers than they can actually use, it makes me think we might get on top of this thing before the EoY, at least enough to buy primers on demand at $60 a brick or so. That reminds me, I'm going to delete all the cost information from my reloading inventory spreadsheet. First of all, it will be too much trouble to account for the variances in prices going forward. Secondly, I only kept track to make myself feel good about how how much I was "saving". Nowadays, I feel pretty good about just having ammo. :)

All depends if you use LIFO or FIFO

That would piss me off, to an irrational level. Like to an 'I would not piss on him if he were on fire" level.

Someone will say "but if its a gift why should you care" no, something like that is a conditional gift, like "hey dude im trying to throw you a bone so you can load some ammo" not like you put it in a box at christmastime and just gave him primers because you could randomly.

Its kind of like you have a friend falling on hard times and has no transportation to get to his job, and you have like a corolla your kid left in the yard when he/she went to college, so you give your friend the car and he sells the f***ing thing for the money instead of using it to drive to work.

Thats the kind of kick in the nuts that is. It might not be rational but its infuriating.

He isn't my family still have the pitch forks out for people like them

Back
Top Bottom