Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as an FYI for NH people, I was at Shooters Outpost 2 yesterday (picking up some 12g ammo and perusing the aisles to see what they had), and I overheard a store person speaking with a shopper who was looking for small pistol primers:

(FWIW, SO2 did have "some" small & large rifle primers, large pistol & magnum primers = but ZERO small pistol primers)

To the shopper looking for small pistol primers, the store person said;

"Yep, its tough. We cannot seem to get any small more pistol primers anywhere.
Every distributor we deal with is out of them, and they have no idea when they will get more".

Last edited:
Just as an FYI for NH people, I was at Shooters Outpost 2 yesterday (picking up some 12g ammo and perusing the aisles to see what they had), and I overheard a store person speaking with a shopper who was looking for small pistol primers:

(FWIW, SO2 did have "some" small & large rifle primers, large pistol & magnum primers = but ZERO small pistol primers)

Every distributor we deal with is out of them, and they have no idea when they will get more".

One of our regular match sponsors is a reloading company. Mark, (my local match director), just lent them 13K SPP until their restocking order comes in. I suspect he's not the only person who lent them primers. Mark reloads also, and I think he sent half of what he had on hand to them.

I shot a Steel Competition match yesterday, ran my 9mm CO. A LOT of the competitors were running .22's; and our local IDPA/USPSA matches are now allowing people to run them due to lack of ammo.

Primers: I load mostly SPP and a much smaller number of magnum small pistol.
My usual suppliers are sold out. The search engines aren't turning up any sources with primers in stock.
I ordered 10K of SPP maybe six weeks ago, 5K from each of two vendors. Just in case one of them suddenly ran out of stock or something.
One shipment showed up, the other went missing from the FEDEX truck.
Several emails and a phone call later - they're going to re-fill my order when they get their next shipment of primers. No ETA.

Bullets: I use Berry's and Xtreme for 9mm 124grn.
Primary and resellers are both sold out. Xtreme is currently not accepting any orders for the next 7 to 10 days "due to unprecedented demand".

Powder: I use TiteGroup and Accurate #9
It's available, but seems to be getting slightly scarce.

Talking to my friends down here - those who don't reload are having trouble finding factory ammo. Those who do reload are having trouble finding components. I probably have enough loaded to shoot for six months to a year; and enough components to load for another year to two years.

But if I see an opportunity to pick up more components at non-rape prices - I'll do it because I have no idea how long this is going to go on for.

But if I see an opportunity to pick up more components at non-rape prices - I'll do it because I have no idea how long this is going to go on for.
Same. Though I’m buying them for friends and others on NES that need them. It’s tempting to just keep buying them for myself since we don’t know when this panic crap will end. But doing some math based on my shooting habits this year, I’ve got enough for 4 years easy.

I’d rather not hoard them all to myself. Not to mention I’m running out of storage space in my reloading cabinet...maybe I need another cabinet? [laugh]

Same. Though I’m buying them for friends and others on NES that need them. It’s tempting to just keep buying them for myself since we don’t know when this panic crap will end. But doing some math based on my shooting habits this year, I’ve got enough for 4 years easy.

I’d rather not hoard them all to myself. Not to mention I’m running out of storage space in my reloading cabinet...maybe I need another cabinet? [laugh]

I don't understand the question - is there room on top of your refrigerator?

One of our regular match sponsors is a reloading company. Mark, (my local match director), just lent them 13K SPP until their restocking order comes in. I suspect he's not the only person who lent them primers. Mark reloads also, and I think he sent half of what he had on hand to them.

I shot a Steel Competition match yesterday, ran my 9mm CO. A LOT of the competitors were running .22's; and our local IDPA/USPSA matches are now allowing people to run them due to lack of ammo.

Primers: I load mostly SPP and a much smaller number of magnum small pistol.
My usual suppliers are sold out. The search engines aren't turning up any sources with primers in stock.
I ordered 10K of SPP maybe six weeks ago, 5K from each of two vendors. Just in case one of them suddenly ran out of stock or something.
One shipment showed up, the other went missing from the FEDEX truck.
Several emails and a phone call later - they're going to re-fill my order when they get their next shipment of primers. No ETA.

Bullets: I use Berry's and Xtreme for 9mm 124grn.
Primary and resellers are both sold out. Xtreme is currently not accepting any orders for the next 7 to 10 days "due to unprecedented demand".

Powder: I use TiteGroup and Accurate #9
It's available, but seems to be getting slightly scarce.

Talking to my friends down here - those who don't reload are having trouble finding factory ammo. Those who do reload are having trouble finding components. I probably have enough loaded to shoot for six months to a year; and enough components to load for another year to two years.

Damn, USPSA with a .22??

I can make GM in one day.

Thinking about it, USPSA with a .22 would be a lot of fun.

That's a no go for me. I think I have about a dozen .22 LR rounds and half of them are the "quiet" type.

BTW, I have up to ten 2019 Silver Eagles available at $34 this weekend only. Not spot, but less than most dealers asking price.
If I sell them today, Ag is virtually guaranteed to double in price tomorrow.

Damn, USPSA with a .22??

I can make GM in one day.

Thinking about it, USPSA with a .22 would be a lot of fun.

The only problem we're having with it is that "Steel doesn't have to fall if shot with a .22". So, some of the calls are difficult for the RO's. And of course you're starting at a low-ready for most .22's. If you're shooting .22, the scores don't go towards classification. We're just trying to keep it possible for people to shoot.

The only problem we're having with it is that "Steel doesn't have to fall if shot with a .22". So, some of the calls are difficult for the RO's. And of course you're starting at a low-ready for most .22's. If you're shooting .22, the scores don't go towards classification. We're just trying to keep it possible for people to shoot.
Have you considered painting the steel before .22 shooters?

I was in Shooters Outpost in Hooksett yesterday and they had them. Limited to one brick per customer. Not sure how many they have in stock.

Things must be really bad out there.
I have seen some clubs that do .22 pin shoots with just the tops of the ten pins. This is before the current shortage, of course.
I think they are getting more mileage from their shot out bowling pins.

Why hunt for SPP when you can use SRPs like CCI400 in both applications?
The SRP hunt is pretty tough as well.

I use SRP for fotay, 9mm and 38 super. I wanted the stronger cup for the high pressure super rounds, and it was easiest not to track two different primer types of the same size.

I don't even bother looking at the moment, just saying that SPP seems like an unnecessary complication for most people. I went gang busters in Jan as soon as China locked down Wuhan, so I won't need primers for at least a year.

Saw primers of all sorts at Outback Arms in Plimpton yesterday. SPP inventory was thin. $5 per 100 for them with a limit of 200. I bought them because I have not seen any on a shelf since May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom