Anyone make ice fishing chisels/spuds?

Catoperat

NES Member
Looking to pick up an ice fishing chisel (aka spud) for testing ice thickness and chopping a few holes. I've looked at a couple shops around the central MA area and found a few, but they seemed over-priced and poorly made. I've seen some really nice homemade ones, but I don't have the means to cut/weld etc.. Anyone have any recommendations on where I could find a rugged chisel that is not a POS, but also not a boat anchor?

I've looked at the digging/breaking bars and they are an option, but they seem a bit heavy for the application. The other build is interesting and I'm questioning the durability of the bonds at low temp.

Damn. I had a breaker-bar/ice spud thing years ago. Got it off of my wife's grandfather's house. That's gotta be 25 years ago. Did a good job of breaking ice on the driveway. No idea where it is now. I liked that it had heft. Couldn't imagine breaking thru ice with something with a wood handle.

I like that Lowe's item. 16lbs though.

I've used a piece of sharpened re bar before. I like the heft to chip through the ice but had it go right through a couple of times because of the weight.

I was wondering about the JB weld connection my self of the homemade one.

I have this one bought at Klem’s years ago it does the job not too heavy but I did have to take grinder to it and give it a better edge

I have a two piece somehwere with a razor sharp very tapered blade. I put a stainless D-ring on it with some rope to retain it when it wants to fall through the hole. If I can find it you can have it.

I was wondering about the JB weld connection my self of the homemade one.

I have this one bought at Klem’s years ago it does the job not too heavy but I did have to take grinder to it and give it a better edge

I've had a couple of these. Didn't want anyone stealing them so I left them at the bottom of Highland Lake just to be sure.

I have a two piece somehwere with a razor sharp very tapered blade. I put a stainless D-ring on it with some rope to retain it when it wants to fall through the hole. If I can find it you can have
If it's something suitable, I'd trade some .22lr for it. I asked my father about one that we used to use when I was a kid and he reminded me that I left it on the bottom of a pond...

Maybe I should take up magnet fishing.

Last edited:
If it's something suitable, I'd trade some .22lr for it. I asked my father about one that we used to use when I was a kid and he reminded me that I left it on the bottom of a pond...

No need to trade. I will not be using it, I gave my traps to Carl many years ago. It is probably still in the box I made 25 years ago. I will look this weekend.

The Folks you work with at Ma. Fakers and Wankers will find away to make a license for that.

Op if ya cant get one I can make one in under a half hour or so, and it wont break. I can weld a head to a chunk of 1/2" steel and grind an edge, or if you want a wedge style I can weld two pieces of 1/4" into a V and put a bar in the center.

I can weld a Lug to the end of it for a piece of rope, so this spring you won't need to go magnet fishing lol.

Op if ya cant get one I can make one in under a half hour or so, and it wont break. I can weld a head to a chunk of 1/2" steel and grind an edge, or if you want a wedge style I can weld two pieces of 1/4" into a V and put a bar in the center.

I can weld a Lug to the end of it for a piece of rope, so this spring you won't need to go magnet fishing lol.
Thanks for the offer. A co-worker and I pooled our resources and made a couple of franken-chisels. Certainly not going to punch a bunch of fishing holes with them, but they'll do just fine testing ice thickness.

Back
Top Bottom