• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Own A...? (a thread to ask about Brand/Model experiences)

i don't own that particular civivi but i bought an olive drab one for my husband for xmas and he's happy so far. flips open quick and smooth, real sharp out of the box.
I have two, and just ordered this as my third. They are very well made and operate smoothly. So far, so good!

Any ideas on how to sharpen/maintain Damascus steel blades?

I wish I could help you...I have zero experience with Damascus Steel except that I think it's sexy as hell.
I hear it sharpens similar to S35V, but the high carbon content is prone to rusting and pitting.

At that price, it will be a great knife to learn on...

I hear it sharpens similar to S35V, but the high carbon content is prone to rusting and pitting.

At that price, it will be a great knife to learn on...
I've passed on a few DS knives only because I know virtually nothing about them or how they grade the steel in them. Are they all the same hardness or is there "cheap" DS and "good" DS out there? I have seen a few Bucks made with DS so will go out on a limb and they those would be good DS that's assuming of course, that Buck actually made the blades and they weren't aftermarket blades.

Here's a DS Buck 110 (made in 1989) which sold on eBay a few weeks ago for almost $300. It looks like a Buck stamp on the blade so it is most likely Buck.

1609542821123.png

Last edited:
CIVIVI Also makes a Pintail in CPM S35VN with micarta stocks...

1609710637193.png

SPECIFICATIONS​

• Overall Length:7.00"
  • Blade Length:3.00"
  • Blade Thickness:0.10"
  • Blade Material:CPM-S35VN
  • Hardness:59-61HRC
  • Blade Style: Drop Point
  • Blade Grind: Hollow
  • Finish: Satin
  • Edge Type: Plain
  • Caged Ceramic Ball Bearing
  • Handle Length:4.00"
  • Handle Thickness:0.46"
  • Handle Material: Micarta
  • Color: Brown
  • Frame/Liner: Stainless Steel
  • Weight:2.76 oz.
  • User: Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip: Tip-Up
  • Knife Type: Manual
  • Opener: Thumb Stud
  • Lock Type: Liner Lock
  • Brand: CIVIVI
  • Model: intail
  • Model Number:C2020A
  • Country of Origin:C hina
  • Best Use: Everyday Carry
  • Product Type: Knife
Green Micarta too...

1609710813648.png

Last edited:
The Civivi Pintail
Civivi Pintail Damascus?
That bears a bit of a resemblance, and almost identical specs to the Little Fiend Damascus that my son asked for his 12th birthday. It’s a really fidgety little knife, a great carry size, and the Damascus is pretty, in a shiny factory way if that makes sense. I have a Kershaw with a Damascus blade where the steel is much darker and feels more organic. Like it was forged with coal.

Still the blade is pretty enough that my kid doesn’t carry it for fear of scratching it...scratches DO show up on the Chinese damasteel. Luckily I also bought him a Kershaw Cryo to beat on.

Really love the wood scales on that one. Not enough wood these days IMHO.

The Civivi Pintail

That bears a bit of a resemblance, and almost identical specs to the Little Fiend Damascus that my son asked for his 12th birthday. It’s a really fidgety little knife, a great carry size, and the Damascus is pretty, in a shiny factory way if that makes sense. I have a Kershaw with a Damascus blade where the steel is much darker and feels more organic. Like it was forged with coal.

I was eyeballing that, but the Pintail won out.
The Damascus has some great looking patterns from the internet research I've been doing. Nick Shabazz gives the CIVIVI lines some pretty great reviews for a less-than-$85 dollar knife too...

I get the feeling you like knives. Any home shopping network collector limited edition blades?

The Civivi Pintail

I was eyeballing that, but the Pintail won out.
The Damascus has some great looking patterns from the internet research I've been doing. Nick Shabazz gives the CIVIVI lines some pretty great reviews for a less-than-$85 dollar knife too...
I have an Elementum, sold a Exarch (the pretty damasteel one), and the kid has the Little Fiend. Civivi is typical of the sub $100 major Chinese brands IMO. They are all on bearings, so the flipping action is really smooth. Fit and finish has been good on all of them, perfect centering, and great packaging with a padded zippered taco. These touches make them feel like they punch outside their price class, but none of them feel/felt like they would withstand the abuse of, say, a Spyderco Tenacious. All the ones that I have owned have fallen squarely in the class of gentleman’s carry. That’s not a bad thing, just don’t expect to be able to baton logs with it, lol.

And I love me some Nick Shabazz!

I’ll try... anyone own a sig sauer scope with caliber / weight specific engraved turrets? Looking at something from their whiskey line sub $500. Want a .223 69g dedicated optic. I have no experience with any of their glass, maybe someone does?

So, I ordered this:

1610153765958.png

but, they shipped me this:

1610153858718.png

I like it so I'll keep it. Super smooth flipper and the G-10 CF layered "twill" scales are very nice!

So, during the reorder, I also snagged this...
Brown Micarta and CPM-S35VN blade.

1610154014237.png

These CIVIVI knives are really a great value...
~Enbloc

Someone posted an " off the grid " tracker knife in the general section , which looks nice. Is there anything similar to that made here in the usa ?

They are very smooth with excellent ergos and fantastic blade geometry. Currently one of my favorites. I like these more then the Elementum...

I don’t find myself carrying the Elementum very much. Not that I don’t still love it, I just find myself favoring one of my Benchmade or Spydercos. I’m in a non-flipper knife phase, lol. But I might have to check out one of those soon. As soon as I’ve built my knife budget up again. Had to sell some of my collection and burn the rest of my current cash for a new trap shotgun this week. Knives are my “cheap” hobby :D.

But I do LOVE Civivis grinds.

Funny. Right now I am in my 'flipper' phase. The pintail has a small, but perfectly ergo'd flipper. Easy to manipulate.

The Damascus blade is also a very sexy complement to the overall design. Happy.

Back
Top Bottom