• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Own A...? (a thread to ask about Brand/Model experiences)

It's not a huge knife, but is very pocket-friendly with a nice, deep pocket clip and smooth-as-glass ceramic ball bearings...
You will be happy...

Any ideas on how to sharpen/maintain Damascus steel blades?
Same as anything else. It’s carbon Damascus not stainless so if you treat it like carbon steel you will be fine.

Do they list what steels they used to make the Damascus?

That could make a difference on sharpening but most likely they’re using some super simple steels and you can sharpen them easily. Nothing special required.

Anyone using any of the Bestech knives?
I have a scimitar and a texel. Cheap cheap on Amazon
Had the scimitar for a couple years now.

The scimitar clip is a little long and flimsy and only has one screw. The texel I just picked up and a Toucan that I got for a buddy last week have a much stiffer clip and are fastened with 2 screws.

I like their knives mainly because of the great blade geometries. Too many companies use super thick steel, grind it 1/2 way up the blade and leave the edge super thick. This is not conducive to slicing.

These guys get it right. Very nice fit and finish. Good materials. Great steel. Overall great value.

DB73A97B-734D-4A69-A06C-FDD8E3148660.jpeg

Same as anything else. It’s carbon Damascus not stainless so if you treat it like carbon steel you will be fine.

Do they list what steels they used to make the Damascus?

That could make a difference on sharpening but most likely they’re using some super simple steels and you can sharpen them easily. Nothing special required.
Yeah, I've already made a few finish passes on a stone and strop and it takes well to sharpening. Unsure of metal content, only found "High Carbon Damascus steel" listed...

Yeah, I've already made a few finish passes on a stone and strop and it takes well to sharpening. Unsure of metal content, only found "High Carbon Damascus steel" listed...
Yeah probably whatever was cheapest at the time lol. When it comes to some of that basic steel it doesn’t matter much.
If you have 1095 or 1084 you won’t know the difference.
Sure looks nice. I’ve been hankering to make some steel cable Damascus again just for a little edc for myself.

Looking for a new camping\backpacking knife - I am on the newer side of knives and want to make sure I am going down the proper research path.
I am thinking about the ESEE-4s-mb -- ESEE Knives ESEE-4S-MB Fixed Blade Knife w/ MOLLE Back (4.5" Black Serr) - Blade HQ

Anyone have any experience\opinion with this make\model
I own an ESSE 4P and it is a great camp/pack knife. Not too big, not too small. Durable and maintainable. A knife you would be proud to pass down.
I like the straight blade over the partially serrated blade for camp work though. The 4P (plain) is better for batoning small wood for kindling.
If you must have the serrations the ESEE's are great. Being a semicircular grind and not the weird oddball artsy serrations makes it easier to touch them up with a
diamond or ceramic rat-tail hone.
~Enbloc

1614812336191.png

Lower price, free shipping over $99 and great customer service: $103.95
ESEE-4S-MB-B (MOLLE Back) Black Partially Serrated Blade w/ Grey Linen Micarta Handle, Black Sheath

Last edited:
I have an Esee Laser Strike. Great knife if you’re looking for something with a thick, stout blade that you can be tough on.

Anyone using a tracker style knife?
Not I, but the Tom Brown Tracker by TOPS looks... Durable.

1640038843134.png
1640038879864.png

The one, the only, the Original
Designed by Tom Brown and featured in the movie "The Hunted" as well as the cover of BLADE Magazine. One of the most popular knives we make, the Tom Brown Tracker speaks for itself. Tom Brown, Jr.
Knife Type: Fixed Blade

Knife Weight: 21oz
Blade Thickness: 0.250"

Boker Compact Kwaiken? Looks better proportioned than their other, very slim versions of the kwaiken. D2, marbled CF, Titanium. IKBS.

boker-plus-kwaiken-compact-flipper-marble-carbon-by-lucas-burnley-01bo231-knife.jpg

Looking for a new camping\backpacking knife - I am on the newer side of knives and want to make sure I am going down the proper research path.
I am thinking about the ESEE-4s-mb -- ESEE Knives ESEE-4S-MB Fixed Blade Knife w/ MOLLE Back (4.5" Black Serr) - Blade HQ

You missed out on the SRK blowout; the 5" model is still probably about a third of the price of that ESEE, and it's surely no worse of a knife.

SRK is a classic, and it's almost impossible to mess it up.

You can’t go wrong with a 3 or a 4!
I carry and use both of them in the field and they always work and easy to maintain the edge. Built for field craft! All my packs have an esee 3 or 4 on them!

AE5C66CE-DC3D-4740-8924-3A57D9E399D2.jpeg You can’t go wrong with a 3 or a 4!
I carry and use both of them in the field and they always work and easy to maintain the edge. Built for field craft! All my packs have an esee 3 or 4 on them!
1AB956CC-A203-4346-978D-F57E493A2ECA.jpeg 286CD2F3-6B78-403F-A832-6D84C3CDFDE6.jpeg
The pr-4 in its natural habitat!

F95B88C1-197E-4845-8602-87D8A476631D.jpeg

Esee izula ,3 and 4.
Also winkler makes phenomenal field knives as well but a little higher price tag.

Back
Top Bottom