• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone own a IWI Tavor TS-12 shotgun? Some weird behavior with ammo cycling

Ive got this IWI semiauto shotgun and without going to a place I can shoot it, its got some weird ammo cycling behavior. Load up a tube and when I turn it into position it will load the first round automatically. but then once I cycle the bolt by hand it ejects and does not load the next round until I tap the lever on the bottom of the stock that lets the elevator fully extend down and grab a round.
Cant see anything in the action that would cause that lever to descend fully with the blowback from a shell going off.
Anyone got one of these they have cycled ammo in and remember if this is normal? I could have sworn last time I stripped it that when I did a cycle test it automatically loaded each round without needing to hit that button each time to get a round up from the tube.

Also the gas piston has a groove in it that sure looks like it was supposed to hold an o-ring..

Last edited:
Will also say Im not happy with the way IWI designed the mag tube and the locating tab that lines it up with the barrel. often I will turn the tube, latch it into place and will not get a solid load till I jiggle the tube side to side a little. Not exactly combat ready, eh?
Too bad I cant get one of these in MA:

Could turn into an interesting self incrimination thread if any MA inmates admit ownership and are not LEO or dealers. It’s both an assault weapon and has a large capacity feeding device so possession is a double felony. And then there is the Boston special AWB.

Carry on…

it’s a Keltec so by definition it’s both innovative and highly unreliable. The good news is they have solid customer service so readily take in guns with issues for quick service. I would go that route to address any problems.

I would also not post or comment about owning one if you are not LEO or dealer or live in a free state.

it’s a Keltec so by definition it’s both innovative and highly unreliable.

It's not a Keltec. Also it's a semi shotgun with a pistol grip (only 1 evil feature) so not an AW. It has fixed 5rd tubular magazines, so no issue with capacity.

You may be thinking of another weapon?

OP I assume you are using high velocity shells with decent weight loads? RTFM error perhaps?

I'm really not going to make any friends with this post. I can tell. STILL THINK BOTH OF Y'ALL ARE NEAT.

Last edited:
yeah using 1200fps + shells but this is just a static test to make sure it cycles. Its just weird that its needing me to depress the button on the shell elevator each time to pull up a new round.
I wont even get into the fact that some manufacturers (like RIO) have a roll crimp thats about 3mm longer and keeps me from loading the 5th shell. Could trim the fingers inside the end cap 15mm but the spring then becomes the limit it coil binds before that. Maybe IWI has some update for this?

as far as the law, I did read through that and I dont feel the TS-12 applies since this isnt a revolving -cylinder- magazine like some firearms. Its 5 rounds per tube with a reload which satisfies the MA legal requirement.

Take it out and shoot it. In a static test, almost all of my centerfire, fixed barrel blowback pistols can get "hung up" when returning to battery... in function, I've never had this happen. The TS12 is not designed to be manually cycled hence the unloading gates for each tube.

TY exactly what I was looking for. Dont have any reference to compare it to. thought maybe I screwed something up when I had the thing apart.
I -want- to get out and shoot. got a nice place up in NH to do it but people keep bailing out, so on my butt I sit.
so I get bored and clean stuff, etc.
Working on my stash of broken auto and computer parts that I want to introduce to the TS-12.

yeah using 1200fps + shells but this is just a static test to make sure it cycles. Its just weird that its needing me to depress the button on the shell elevator each time to pull up a new round.
I wont even get into the fact that some manufacturers (like RIO) have a roll crimp thats about 3mm longer and keeps me from loading the 5th shell. Could trim the fingers inside the end cap 15mm but the spring then becomes the limit it coil binds before that. Maybe IWI has some update for this?

as far as the law, I did read through that and I dont feel the TS-12 applies since this isnt a revolving -cylinder- magazine like some firearms. Its 5 rounds per tube with a reload which satisfies the MA legal requirement

Please quote me the relevant MGL for the "MA legal requirement" you reference.

I will offer you the following references
MGL 140 121
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber ammunition.

The bolding is mine. Read it with the bolded language. "a fixed magazine or similar device capable of accepting more than five shotgun shells". Nothing here mentions manual rotation or mechanism. The TS-12 feeding device is a single formed piece of plastic that holds 15 rounds. It is formed into the shape of 3 5rd tubes, but it is a single piece of plastic that holds 15 rounds. That meets the language above. It is a large capacity feeding device. Possession of this is a felony per MGL 140 131M

MGL 140 121 also defines
''Assault weapon'', shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC–70); (iv) Colt AR–15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M–10, M–11, M–11/9 and M–12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC–9, TEC–DC9 and TEC–22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

So we go and look at USC 921(a)(30) as it existed on September 13, 1994

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—
  • (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
  • (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
  • (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
  • (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
So we have already determined you have a capacity in excess of 5 rounds as it holds 15 rounds. The law does not talk about mechanism, just what is the capacity. 15 rounds. So it has two features and therefore is an assault weapon. Again under MGL 140 131M this is a felony.

If you don't like my logic, I recommend you consult a lawyer. @nstassel is who I would recommend but there are some other reasonable choices out there.

Don't apply wishful thinking or results based logic. This is very simple. Your reading is overly complex and introduces a concept about manually switching tubes that is nowhere in the statues. I know many shops that will sell them. I also know people that continue to think that an SBR is not subject to the AWB...

nah. he feels that it is legal
i was given exactly same assessment you provided by 2 other FFLs who have no issues doing most of usual stuff like frame xfers, lowers, etc. - but they DO know the laws.
that tavor is off limits in MA, for civilians.

i was given exactly same assessment you provided by 2 other FFLs who have no issues doing most of usual stuff like frame xfers, lowers, etc. - but they DO know the laws.
that tavor is off limits in MA, for civilians.
You sure I was not one of those FFLs? 🙄 If you got the opinion at the Littleton Mill I am likely the source. This is not even close to being grey but a black and white issue. People's willingness to convolute logic to try and convince themselves that something is legal (should be, but welcome to MA). astounds me.

You sure I was not one of those FFLs? 🙄 If you got the opinion at the Littleton Mill I am likely the source. This is not even close to being grey but a black and white issue. People's willingness to convolute logic to try and convince themselves that something is legal (should be, but welcome to MA). astounds me.
no, no littleton. :) i read about your assessment later after that, i was thinking about getting it last year fall and asked around my area shops, no one would do it. but only 2 people gave the descriptive enough explanation.

no, no littleton. :) i read about your assessment later after that, i was thinking about getting it last year fall and asked around my area shops, no one would do it. but only 2 people gave the descriptive enough explanation.
The scary thing is that the OP bought it from someone. There are any number of dealers out there who don't get it. I have customers with 1301s with 6+ round tubes (or stoeger semi autos or fn semi autos, etc). While 6+ tubes on pump are ok because of the oddity of how Large Capacity Weapon is defined, they are felonies on semi-auto shotguns. People say "no pistol grip" so it is legal. "No pistol grip" so it is not an assault weapon so you are only possessing one felony and not two. You cannot have any semi-auto shotgun with more than 5 round capacity (5+1 in the chamber). LOTS of dealers don't get that

I have customers with 1301s with 6+ round tubes
yep, i have 1301 since 2018 and i keep my tubes dismounted and not in the case with the gun, always.
as of people doing it - it takes an enormous amount of time for a non-initiated person who moves into the MA to understand and learn all of this. i got initiated to gun ownership in MO - as i lived there for a bit more than 3 years, 2001-2005, had friends who were true gun nuts - and it was a shock AFTER move to MA to find out of what it is here. most people simply do not expect it - it is like to find out you have a different kind of oxigen here and need to learn to breath a different way.
i had a bit of a collection, and had to get it all sold out and gifted out before moving some stuff in here. then i lost interest to most of it for a long time, as life was too fast paced and work and work travel took over all the free time.

but it was quite a shock to see how different it all is here compared to midwest. my manager there had his parent farmland lot close to IL border, 500 acres :) - so he had a whole military style setup in there. i still remember his definition of what the freedom is - is when you wake up, then go the porch and piss out into the wild, with no one around to mess with you. :) sounds like a classic redneck thing, but, there is something in that that i do dig.
he had a nice house on top of the hill there, built from solid stones 2ft thick - he was saying it would withstand an artillery fire.
and it worked as a natural air conditioner, as it would hold off heat through the day and then cool down at night. anyway, a different kind of america.

I (civilian) bought one of the first TS12s from a well-known dealer in Mass a few hours after they stocked it, SN in the 300s. That dealer interpreted it as three separate 5-shell feeding devices and so good to go. Later still wanted to buy another but they were hard to find, so looked around. Another well-known dealer said they wouldn't touch or transfer one as an AWB violation. A third reputable dealer said they would defer to GOAL's interpretation.

So for what it's worth, there wasn't clear consensus on civilian legality at the time.

That dealer interpreted it as three separate 5-shell feeding devices and so good to go....

...So for what it's worth, there wasn't clear consensus on civilian legality at the time.

That's how the ATF dealt with similar designs from 94-04. Separate tube/cavity, spring, follower - whether fixed or detachable - separate magazine.

The scary thing is that the OP bought it from someone. There are any number of dealers out there who don't get it. I have customers with 1301s with 6+ round tubes (or stoeger semi autos or fn semi autos, etc). While 6+ tubes on pump are ok because of the oddity of how Large Capacity Weapon is defined, they are felonies on semi-auto shotguns. People say "no pistol grip" so it is legal. "No pistol grip" so it is not an assault weapon so you are only possessing one felony and not two. You cannot have any semi-auto shotgun with more than 5 round capacity (5+1 in the chamber). LOTS of dealers don't get that

Damn it, you're no fun!!!

:)

That's how the ATF dealt with similar designs from 94-04. Separate tube/body, spring, follower - whether fixed or detachable - separate magazine.
as i understand it, the TS12s design is essentially a drum. not a detachable/modular thing. so logic here fails - it is like having a 50rd drum and saying it is legal as you only going to put 10 rounds into it.

as i understand it, the TS12s design is essentially a drum. not a detachable/modular thing. so logic here fails - it is like having a 50rd drum and saying it is legal as you only going to put 10 rounds into it.

It is not in any way, shape, or form a drum style feeding device. It is three magazine tubes which hold 3-5 rounds each, each with it's own spring and follower, which can be manually rotated. It's roughly the equivalent of duct-taping two 10rd rifle mags together jungle-style.

During the 94 ban the ATF dealt with multiple shotguns which had rotating or sliding magazine tubes, some semi-automatic. They were fine with a system by which each magazine tube had to be advanced or switched manually, and each contained no more than five shells or 10 cartridges. They also dealt with plenty of devices which connected multiple magazines, even "double ended" detachable magazines with one-piece bodies, which were deemed to not be high capacity feeding devices, provided each cavity with it's own spring and follower contained no more than 10 rounds of pistol/rifle cartridges.

IANAL but as far as magazines and guns during the 94 AWB went, that was the ATF position on several of firearms and magazines with similar designs.

not in any way, shape, or form a drum style feeding device
again - i only repeat it how it was given to me - it is a permanently mounted rotating 15 shells magazine. its internal construction and functions are irrelevant as long as it has a specific maximum capacity for a whole gun that qualifies it as a large capacity magazine. that is why an association with a drum is relevant as it is not important how that exactly that drum is constructed as long as it capable to feed certain count of rounds from it into a repeatedly fired semi-auto weapon.

as all those laws truly require a qualified lawyer person to interpret them - i just see it as one of those cases i personally do not want to do anything about, nor be associated with.

rest of the country uses any shotguns with any extension tubes or any mags and no one gives a shit, but everything here in MA is upside-down.

again - i only repeat it how it was given to me - it is a permanently mounted rotating 15 shells magazine. its internal construction and functions are irrelevant as long as it has a specific maximum capacity for a whole gun that qualifies it as a large capacity magazine. that is why an association with a drum is relevant as it is not important how that exactly that drum is constructed as long as it capable to feed certain count of rounds from it into a repeatedly fired semi-auto weapon.

as all those laws truly require a qualified lawyer person to interpret them - i just see it as one of those cases i personally do not want to do anything about, nor be associated with.

rest of the country uses any shotguns with any extension tubes or any mags and no one gives a shit, but everything here in MA is upside-down.

I wouldn't want to be the test case either, but I am just going off the fed standards, during the fed ban, which regardless of what people nit pick over is what we have all been forced to do since MA never wrote their own law or even reiterated the federal law. Same goes for the tubular magazine, pinning of barrels and stocks, etc.

A wealthy person with a good lawyer might make a good argument about legislative intent, being that MA adopted the federal law not just word for word but by reference to statute, after almost 5 years in effect... How can an AG argue the intent of legislators was to dissallow something which was seen in practice by said legislators to be allowed during that 4+ years before the same law was adopted locally?

I wouldn't want to be the test case either, but I am just going off the fed standards, during the fed ban, which regardless of what people nit pick over is what we have all been forced to do since MA never wrote their own law or even reiterated the federal law. Same goes for the tubular magazine, pinning of barrels and stocks, etc.

A wealthy person with a good lawyer might make a good argument about legislative intent, being that MA adopted the federal law not just word for word but by reference to statute, after almost 5 years in effect... How can an AG argue the intent of legislators was to dissallow something which was seen in practice by said legislators to be allowed during that 4+ years before the same law was adopted locally?
again - 3 tubes in the TS12 design is a single magazine contraption, not a combination of 3 independent removable magazines.

i do hear what you are saying, though. realistically i would think no one would probably be convicted on that issue alone, but, if is it indeed a felony or is it not - i am also not going to be the test case subject for that. a current consensus among quite enough of FFL people is - it is.

again - 3 tubes in the TS12 design is a single magazine contraption, not a combination of 3 independent removable magazines.

i do hear what you are saying, though. realistically i would think no one would probably be convicted on that issue alone, but, is it indeed a felony or is it not - i am also not going to be the test case subject for that.

Right, and similar cases came up during the 94 AWB... a single "object" with two, three, or four cavities, each with their own spring and follower. ATF said each cavity/spring/follower was it's own "feeding device" and should be treated as such. I believe the original item in question was a detachable polymer "20rd" magazine which was actually two 10rd magazines opposite each other, in one shared housing. The shotgun I'm thinking of had three tubes welded together; two magazine tubes and a spindle to rotate them around the barrel, 5 rounds each, on a semi auto. Then a pump with three 5 round tubes which were pushed on a track, and another pump with 5rd mags which the feed gate pushed between. All were OK'ed and sold.

Either way... it's in MA hands and MA isn't reasonable.

Right, and similar cases came up during the 94 AWB... a single "object" with two, three, or four cavities, each with their own spring and follower. ATF said each cavity/spring/follower was it's own "feeding device" and should be treated as such. I believe the original item in question was a detachable polymer "20rd" magazine which was actually two 10rd magazines opposite each other, in one shared housing. The shotgun I'm thinking of had three tubes welded together; two magazine tubes and a spindle to rotate them around the barrel, 5 rounds each, on a semi auto. Then a pump with three 5 round tubes which were pushed on a track, and another pump with 5rd mags which the feed gate pushed between. All were OK'ed and sold.

Either way... it's in MA hands and MA isn't reasonable.
I would be very interested in an ATF opinion letter on those shotguns.

Back
Top Bottom