• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Own A LaRue Tactical PredatOBR?

If so how easy is it for you to remove the barrel nut? I understand the muzzle brake needs to be welded in order to make the barrel 16" inches. Even though the barrel is 14.5" inches there would be no reason for a dealer to weld the muzzle nut in place in order to make the rifle non NFA / AWB legal correct?

Last edited:
I doubt anyone in Ma. has the PredatOBR however I may be wrong. I shoot a Larue and I've yet to see another one in the state even though I know they exist.

You might want to check here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/219_LaRue_Tactical.html
if you haven't already as they would have all the info on the PredatOBR. The barrel nut is deigned to be QD so I would imagine it's fairly easy to remove/install, their are plenty of videos on that forum that show assembly/disassembly of the TOBR and it looks real smooth.

You would have to buy the AWB compliant version which in any case (regardless of barrel length) would come with a muzzle brake welded in place. They only sell it as a complete rifle so you have no choice on the matter unless you move.

One thing you might want to check beforehand is that you get a muzzle brake skinny enough for the barrel nut to fit over so you can completely remove it/switch it to another barrel if need be.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone in Ma. has the PredatOBR however I may be wrong. I shoot a Larue and I've yet to see another one in the state even though I know they exist.

You might want to check here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/219_LaRue_Tactical.html
if you haven't already as they would have all the info on the PredatOBR. The barrel nut is deigned to be QD so I would imagine it's fairly easy to remove/install, their are plenty of videos on that forum that show assembly/disassembly of the TOBR and it looks real smooth.

You would have to buy the AWB compliant version which in any case (regardless of barrel length) would come with a muzzle brake welded in place. They only sell it as a complete rifle so you have no choice on the matter unless you move.

One thing you might want to check beforehand is that you get a muzzle brake skinny enough for the barrel nut to fit over so you can completely remove it/switch it to another barrel if need be.

A friend picked one up but we can't get the barrel nut off using what you would think would be appropriate force. Emailed dealer /gunsmith about the problem and received a replied that he welded it on. It is my hope that the dealer just misunderstood the question and thought he was asking about the muzzle brake. I figured I would check here to see if anyone has any experience with one.

If you're considering a Larue rifle I'd get confirmation on lead times. Last I checked they were nearly two years out from time of order

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind - Just read your last post

If you're considering a Larue rifle I'd get confirmation on lead times. Last I checked they were nearly two years out from time of order

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind - Just read your last post

Yup and welding the barrel nut defeats the purpose of buying the F_$$#@* thing. I hope it is not the case and I am encouraged since I don't see any marks or discoloration around the nut. That being said using elbow grease alone has failed to get it moving.

Whatever happened with this?
Welding the barrel nut seems a bit outrageous. My PredatAR was tight when I got it that's for sure but I hope the barrel nut isn't welded.

Last edited:
The dealer said he didn't weld it. So my friend tried giving the wrench a few whacks with rubber hammer. No dice. It is sitting in his safe and when he gets a free min he is going to take it back to the dealer to see what the story is.

Friend of mine has a PredatOBR and it comes apart very easily. No welds on the barrel nut.

So it's probably just way over tightened..
Sometimes it takes a bit to remove a barrel nut for sure, maybe it was loctite ? I hope he gets it worked out .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom