Anyone running an IDPA 5x5 Classifier soon?

Ran a practice round. Haven’t practiced Bill Drills, so this was pretty rusty.
String 1 - 3.10 raw, -3
String 2 - 5.04 raw, -3
String 3 - 7.30 raw, -3
String 4 - 4.19 raw, -1
Raw time 20.03
-10 points
30.03 score (MM in CO)

All dropped shots were low left. I am confident that I can clean this up and shave down the raw time. Let’s see how Sunday goes.
bda056af-6ebd-4600-b5cf-f17cd3645d18_text.gif

Last edited:
All dropped shots were low left. I am confident that I can clean this up and shave down the raw time. Let’s see how Sunday goes.
You should be able to do the 5x5 classifier down 0 at whatever class you are, or are working towards, repeatedly.

Do some practice strings fast as fu*k
get the shots on paper but dont be worried about the scoring. This will get you to feel the pace you need to shoot. In order to be accurate going fast, you have to be comfortable going fast. If you get used to going fast as fu*k where the hits are not all there, you can easily (with practice) dial the speed back to 90% and have the hits you need.

The same principle can be used to practice any specific USPSA classifier. You just need to do the HF scoring math and find the balance of speed and accuracy.

I believe metro west tactical (Harvard )will be running the 5x5 at their match this weekend and after their monthly match going forward, they ask that you e mail the match directors to let them know you are interested

I’d say in general the idpa classifications arent really a good guage. It’s quite easy to bump to master in idpa as long as you have a pulse. Uspsa is a different animal.

I’d say in general the idpa classifications arent really a good guage. It’s quite easy to bump to master in idpa as long as you have a pulse. Uspsa is a different animal.
Even more so since they started the 5x5 classifier. The older classifier was “harder” than the 5x5
But yeah I agree. I’ve been stuck in Production A class in USPSA for a while. Hard to bump to Master.

But over the last couple years I really only shot USPSA at Hopkinton and Harvard. I shoot way more IDPA just because the number of matches available that aren’t 2+ hours away from me lol.

All of this is moot for me now since have a child. Haven’t shot a match since October 😔. Not sure when I’ll get back out there.

Even more so since they started the 5x5 classifier. The older classifier was “harder” than the 5x5
But yeah I agree. I’ve been stuck in Production A class in USPSA for a while. Hard to bump to Master.

But over the last couple years I really only shot USPSA at Hopkinton and Harvard. I shoot way more IDPA just because the number of matches available that aren’t 2+ hours away from me lol.

All of this is moot for me now since have a child. Haven’t shot a match since October 😔. Not sure when I’ll get back out there.
I’d say the 5x5 really isn’t a good measure.

The match bumps at sanctioned matches are a joke. You can literally go from novice to master in a year.

Idpa should just come with a participation ribbon with master ranking by participating.

Uspsa is legit and requires skill.

I’d say the 5x5 really isn’t a good measure.

The match bumps at sanctioned matches are a joke. You can literally go from novice to master in a year.

Idpa should just come with a participation ribbon with master ranking by participating.

The sanctioned IDPA matches are far from easy. New England regionals last year had some very difficult stages. The NH state match is also a tough match too.

Did you shoot NER last year?

I didn’t do that great overall but the boat/water stage I had the 2nd best time overall surprisingly. Maybe working on boats all my life paid off 😂

Last edited:

This is pretty stupid.

You should be able to do the 5x5 classifier down 0 at whatever class you are, or are working towards, repeatedly.

Do some practice strings fast as fu*k
get the shots on paper but dont be worried about the scoring. This will get you to feel the pace you need to shoot. In order to be accurate going fast, you have to be comfortable going fast. If you get used to going fast as fu*k where the hits are not all there, you can easily (with practice) dial the speed back to 90% and have the hits you need.

The same principle can be used to practice any specific USPSA classifier. You just need to do the HF scoring math and find the balance of speed and accuracy.

This is a good tip. You need to know how fast you can pull that trigger. Those splits should be your goal for accurate hits. First on target, then A zone, then 1/2 A, all the way down to a nice tight group on a post-it note. Accuracy at speed will come from predictive shooting with a perfect grip.

Back
Top Bottom