• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone seen the new Navy utility uniform yet?

From what I understand, it is mandatory for E-6 now.

Submariners E-1 and above have always been required to obtain them.

For air/surface etc. it was mandatory for E-5 and above. They had a year or so to get them once reporting.

Warfare qualifications are now required for every sailor E-1 and above within 30 months of reporting to your first sea duty station.

I have been out of the Navy since 1997 but still work for the Navy and have plenty of friends on the base that I used to served with. They really push the warfare quals now. Commands even get flags for when high percentages of the command has them. The hangers have boards up of everyones progress and they start right at the lowest ranks now. I believe you had to be an e4 or e5 to participate when I was in and even then it was optional. Now it is almost mandatory.

I was in from 98-02 and it was pushed hard on my boat from E-1 and up. Sometime around 01 they pushed the air warfare pin hard. And we were on a CRUISER with HSL-44 det. onboard. I can only imagine what its like on a carrier now.

Submariners E-1 and above have always been required to obtain them.

For air/surface etc. it was mandatory for E-5 and above. They had a year or so to get them once reporting.

Warfare qualifications are now required for every sailor E-1 and above within 30 months of reporting to your first sea duty station.

Wow. It was heading that way when I left in '04.

Wow. It was heading that way when I left in '04.

I came in in 2004, and the Navy has changed a lot in the last 6 years. Women on subs, no smoking on subs, cutlasses for chiefs, uniform changes every year it seems like, eval changes, degree requirements to make e-8/9 (since rescinded) etc. etc.

I came in in 2004, and the Navy has changed a lot in the last 6 years. Women on subs, no smoking on subs, cutlasses for chiefs, uniform changes every year it seems like, eval changes, degree requirements to make e-8/9 (since rescinded) etc. etc.

Holy cow. No wonder my buddies who are still in hate being LPO's now.

My God, the Navy has just gone batshit insane.

I am so glad I left before most of this nonsense........

If I was standing back in Bancroft Hall on service selection night in 1988 again, and knew then what I know now about the Navy, I'd head straight to the Marine Corps table without hesitation

At least they took their fashion cue from Public Enemy's back up guys and not Flavor Flav.

publicenemy.jpg

Why do sailors need camo ? By the time the enemy sees him he must have already seen the ship !!!

Its not about hiding from the enemy. Its about hiding paint stains, grease stains, and other crap that we come in contact with onboard a ship. These uniforms have a service life that is much longer than the previous utilities for E-6 and below.

Its not about hiding from the enemy. Its about hiding paint stains, grease stains, and other crap that we come in contact with onboard a ship. These uniforms have a service life that is much longer than the previous utilities for E-6 and below.

That is the lamest reason I have ever seen for such a change.

Back
Top Bottom