Anyone shoot Worcester County Pistol League?

Does anyone here shoot Worcester County Pistol League?

I was invited to go down to Lunenberg tonight to join in, but I won't be able to make it (sick kid). I'm really disapointed.

Matt

Hi Matt - Yes, I shoot NRA gallery in the WC league (for Lunenburg, as it turns out). PM me for more info - we'd love to have you join us. (Could have used you last night - got our clock cleaned by Leominster - no big surprise there).

I also shoot for Littleton in the Nashoba Valley league - match at Westford tomorrow (Wed, 10/4) and you'd be more than welcome there as well.

PS - That invitation applies to anyone else who might be reading this and has interest in joining the league(s).

Well, I shot my first match tonight in Lunenburg. Great group of guys. I was made to feel very welcome right away.

It was great to meet Dick. He ran the firing line for my group and did a great job. Very clear instructions, even I could follow!

I shot ok. We did 2 matches. I shot 258 and 254 respectively. This is lower than my typical practice, but I'm pretty pleased since this is my first time out.

Next match in 2 weeks at the Woodsman's club in Athol. Can't wait!

Dick: Thanks for encouraging me to come out. I really enjoyed it.

Matt

Of course the scores were lower than practice. There is no pressure in practice, therefore higher scores.

I shot ok. We did 2 matches. I shot 258 and 254 respectively.

Turning in scores like that in your first formal competition? You shot quite a bit better than OK, Matt. There are plenty of guys around who've been shooting for years and can't post scores in the 250s. I think you can expect to see those numbers rise by 10, perhaps as many as 20 points before the season ends, at which point you'll be one of the better shooters on the team.

I'm glad you had an enjoyable evening, and it's great that you'll be shooting with us. I'll once again extend an invitation to anyone else out there who'd like to get into Bullseye competition to PM me for details.

I have to say, I was a little intimidated by all the fancy/expensive pistols with custom grips, etc. There was some pretty nice equipment there. I was glad to see I could keep up with the pack with my 10 year old Buckmark!

I was able to handle a couple of pistols, one Ruger and one Walther, with very nice triggers.

At this point most of my errors are driven by things other than the hardware though. Primarily an occasional snap of the trigger when I get an exceptional sight picture and secondarily anoying high shots from my wrist breaking up during the shot.

The first is a matter of mental control. I'll get it in time. The second, I don't know for sure what causes that... In practice I've been working on stiffening my arm and wrist (without tightening my grip). Last night, I know I did not consiously do that. I need to work it into my routine more so it is second nature. That's a good one for dryfire. It seems to help that problem, but I'm not sure it is the optimum solution.

Matt

The second, I don't know for sure what causes that... In practice I've been working on stiffening my arm and wrist (without tightening my grip). Last night, I know I did not consiously do that. I need to work it into my routine more so it is second nature.
Matt

are you standing in your natural position of alignment.
meaning close your eyes, raise the gun up, open your eyes
is the gun pointing at the target? (up and down doesn't matter, it's left and right we're concerned with)

if it isn't then shift your feet a little so that you can raise the gun with your eyes closed and be on target. this way there is less strain on your shooting hand's muscles to force the gun into alignment. less strain = more rellaxed sight picture.

just my 2 1/2 cents worth (adjusted for inflation)
Dave

Back
Top Bottom