• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone shooting a 147 grain HP in their M&P Shield 9?

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
I've been using the 115 grain HP and was wondering if the 147gn (or 124gn, for that matter)
is any improvement in the diminutive 3.1 inch barrel.

Thanks,
~Matt

Last edited:
I keep Federal HST 147gr in the M&P 9c. They shoot fine, as does literally everything out of that gun that I've put into it. Now the 147 grain Federal HSTs have expanded extremely well in ballistics gel tests I've seen with this specific model gun. Not sure if they will reach expansion velocity out of a 3.1" barrel. It's possible. Would have to go see whether anybody has tested. Some (many, I think) 147 grain JHPs are just not going to expand at the velocities you get out of a short barrel, especially if the bullets are designed for duty-size guns with any kind of barrier penetration.

Thanks guys. These are the anecdotes I've been looking for.
~Matt

I've shot anything from 88g to 162g. As a rule I reload whatever bullets I have on hand, hence the wide variety.
Although you won't likely find any lead-core bullets under 115g on most ammo shelves, these are legitimate loads. (Lee lists the 88g and above in their loading data included with their dies).
The 162g is an NEI mold, a TC bullet meant for the .38/.357, but I've sized it at .356" and have run them in the 9x19mm. Fiocchi offers a 158g bullet in 9x19mm.
Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 9mm Luger Ammo 158 Grain Subsonic FMJ
FWIW, the Hornady 147g XTP-HP bullet is a boat-tail design.
With many of the new-age defense bullets (Lehigh, Liberty, etc.) you can find many lighter, high velocity loads these days.

Attachments

• castniners.jpg
    castniners.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My LC9s is very similar. I shoot 147s out of it. I don't see a difference in accuracy but I like the recoil a bit better. It's a bit more of a 45ish thump with the 147s while the 115s are pretty snappy.

Like meh said, some credible looking ballistics tests showed 147 HSTs have really good terminal ballistics, so that's what I carry.

Back
Top Bottom