• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone trapping in MA with box traps?

I took the trapper ed class last year, but was pretty disappointed to find out that the most effective trapping gear was outlawed in MA the late 90s.

I've taken the opportunity since to pick up a few cage traps and think I'll give it a try this season for muskrat.

From what I've read, the most effective set for my situation will be a floater with a cage trap baited with carrots and some muskrat lure.

A little late for this year, but I was also thinking about putting out an otter set or two.

Anyone in central mass doing any trapping that's not on a nuisance control permit? I've got some pretty basic questions and was hoping to bounce some ideas off someone that's been doing it.

Thanks for the info on the otter, JW. I had no idea they were so strong. I've seen them running along the banks of the Nashua a couple of times. I'll be sure to securely stake the traps!

I'm not interested in making a profit. Just another opportunity to be outdoors and learn more about the natural world. And I've always wanted a pair of beaver pelt mittens from an animal I've trapped.

Enjoy the freedom of NH! If I wasn't stuck in a job here in the city, I'd be up there too.

A client of mine does about 100 fisher a year in central MA/Worcester County with the box traps.
A lot of work but he must be making some money. I believe a nice fisher goes for about a $100.00?

Growing up I trapped all through middle school and HS catching fox, coons and muskrats. Made about $800.00 a year.
That was a lot of coin for a kid. It was hard work and early mornings before catching the school bus but very exciting and fun.
$45.00 for a XL raccoon, $70.00 for a nice red fox, $50-$60 for a grey fox and $5.00-$10.00 for the muskrats...

Last edited:
A client of mine does about 100 fisher a year in central MA/Worcester County with the box traps.
A lot of work but he must be making some money. I believe a nice fisher goes for about a $100.00?

My brother caught one last year in one of this traps, right after fisher season had ended. LOL..

said it was a blast trying to get that pissed off cat out without him or it getting hurt.

If it is who I think it is, He stashes his gear near his set area with the doors wired open. So when the season comes come he baits and sets the triggers.

I don't think that he will get that this year. On a real good year females will get the better price and males are usually half that.

Yep, he pre-baits I believe.

Got my first three sets out on Thursday. Two for muskrat and a third for mink. Mink was baited with the gizzards from Thanksgiving turkey. One muskrat was set on shore directly above what looked like an active bank den on a large lake. Second muskrat set was a floater just off a river (pictured). Both baited with carrots and some muskrat lure. Nothing yet, but it's just nice to be out and learning.

Whoa! Six year old thread comes back to life!

Ive got a cellar full of box traps that haven't seen the light of day in years. Need to get them out there!

Are you targeting racoon? What sort of bait are you using?

Whoa! Six year old thread comes back to life!

Ive got a cellar full of box traps that haven't seen the light of day in years. Need to get them out there!

Are you targeting racoon? What sort of bait are you using?

The target is coyote because it can't be done, they say. Critters were attempting to steal the bait, so I brushed it in to almost a cubby set. Not sure how that will work. I was busy with other stuff, and didn't pre-bait so expectations are modest. Beaver meat is the bait, and I've some glandular "call lure" in place. Last season's catch was fox, raccoon, fisher. That marsupial is a first.

I use cage/ box traps for skunks. That is for nuisance jobs. The skunks don't spray unless some one or thing really agitates them. Canines are very reluctant to go into a box trap.

Canines are very reluctant to go into a box trap.

So far this season I've had opossum, fox, bobcat and many flying squirrels visiting this set. No coyotes. But I also haven't seen many coyotes on any of my trail cameras lately. I've got another bait to use and will try placing some lure up high to get it wafting better. I was also thinking of dragging some lure across some travel routes, to the set.

Back
Top Bottom