Anyone try out predator calling in the deep mid-winter?

DJBrad

NES Member
For coyotes in central or bobcat in Zones 1-8? I’d be interested in this type of hunt. Just wondering if the calling, shot, and tracking are worth the effort. Being in Zone 9 I would be focusing on yotes and the hybrid yolves.

I have and the weather conditions can have a big impact on the success ratio.
Just before or after a large snow fall can be great depending on amount of wind.

Depends on snow cover. My cousin actively sought out yotes with predator calls. He also cross country skis, so that helped.
I’m planning on snowshoeing in which here in Ma may be a good option as there are not areas which are difficult to traverse by any stretch. How successful was your cousin?
I have and the weather conditions can have a big impact on the success ratio.
Just before or after a large snow fall can be great depending on amount of wind.
After those big snow falls when the winds are down to like low single digits is what you’d aim for? Many snow falls in this region do have that attribute.

The excitement of the tracking through snowpack is what piques my interest. Better than shoveling snow and sitting on the couch with a cup ‘o’ coffee (which I do enjoy).

Calling works for either. Tracking might come into play if you're using a rifle at night, because a .22LR sucks ass on an animal that large. Mag dump or head shot, if you're not using a shotgun.

Coywolf is to coyote, as assault weapon is to AR-15.
I may not do the night thing but I don’t know what the habits of predators are at night in the dead of winter.

I’d be using my Savage bolt gun in 6.5.

Explain the comparison on your last comment. That’s interesting.

I may not do the night thing but I don’t know what the habits of predators are at night in the dead of winter.

I’d be using my Savage bolt gun in 6.5.

Explain the comparison on your last comment. That’s interesting.

Night hunting sucks cause you can't use a light and can't use a real rifle, regs are stupid. Sometimes I'll hunt early mornings, some afternoons.
I don't put a lot of effort into it other than I bought an electronic call. I don't get a lot of dogs, have just shot a few over the years.

Night hunting sucks cause you can't use a light and can't use a real rifle, regs are stupid. Sometimes I'll hunt early mornings, some afternoons.
I don't put a lot of effort into it other than I bought an electronic call. I don't get a lot of dogs, have just shot a few over the years.
What do you think of the Foxpro calls? They sound pretty enticing. I was watching the guys from “Northwest Wild and Free” and they have some pretty intense hunts. I was enthralled by the cougar hunt and track. That land is very rich and serene.

Canis latrans var.

No joking: I thought you were being over-clever in Latin and was looking up 'var' as a word I wasn't familiar with (I vaguely suspected it was some variant of 'vis', which it is), but it seems to just mean 'variety' in taxonomy, representing multiple subspeces.

TIL.

"Latrans" is 'howling', so "howling dog of various subspecies" is what it actually means.

I was thinking 'var' was the feminine of vis, and thought it was a great way of saying "screaming, violent bitch" and was going to ask if you knew my ex wife.

But, sadly, 'var' is without gender, so "the power of a howling neutered dog" is the best I can get. I suppose it would make a good band name for a ska band with a lead countertenor.

Anyway, thought it might be amusing in a sort of almost, but ultimately dashed-hopes of cleverness way.

I’m planning on snowshoeing in which here in Ma may be a good option as there are not areas which are difficult to traverse by any stretch. How successful was your cousin?

He took a few over the years but his primary purpose was cross country skiing with a shotgun on his back. He'd track and call occasionally. Sitting in the cold sux.

What do you think of the Foxpro calls? They sound pretty enticing

First time out with a FoxPro Shockwave, I'd called a coyote in within 15 minutes (failed to seal the deal though, as I was unprepared for how quickly they come in). That caller is total overkill for most stands I do though, and I've contemplated getting something smaller like the Hammerjack.

Late winter is their mating season, and coyote vocalizations seem to work better than distress calls then. I began using some MFK mouth calls, which I use to howl and "bark back" with. That was much more fun than using the e-caller, when you get a a bit of a banter going. Using mouth/hand calls is a lot less crap to lug with you in the snow, too.

First time out with a FoxPro Shockwave, I'd called a coyote in within 15 minutes (failed to seal the deal though, as I was unprepared for how quickly they come in). That caller is total overkill for most stands I do though, and I've contemplated getting something smaller like the Hammerjack.

Late winter is their mating season, and coyote vocalizations seem to work better than distress calls then. I began using some MFK mouth calls, which I use to howl and "bark back" with. That was much more fun than using the e-caller, when you get a a bit of a banter going. Using mouth/hand calls is a lot less crap to lug with you in the snow, too.
Teach me your ways master

Looking into getting a caller. Any recommendations on which model to get? This would mainly be fore coyote hunting at night, hopefully in NH.
From what I’ve seen there are two very successful calls. One is the expensive FoxPro electronic call and the other is the MFK diaphragm. I’m sure there are more but these two on numerous videos draw in coyotes fast and furious.

I’m sure @pupchow can further elaborate on model and brand.

My foxpro works well. They are expensive but they last so it's a buy once, cry once purchase.

I've literally walked out my front door, heard yotes barking 200 yards or so away, put the call out and had one in my yard 10 minutes later.

Having a good call is great, but you can also keep them away by over calling.

My good friend and i spent a decent amount of time last winter once most other seasons closed. When we went together we didnt see anything but when he went alone he had a couple come in. Overall neither of us had success but i think we learned a lot.

Looking into getting a caller. Any recommendations on which model to get? This would mainly be fore coyote hunting at night, hopefully in NH.

I've only used a FOXPRO Shockwave. FOXPRO has an active user forum, and responsive customer support. Having said that, don't be stingy on the batteries, as subfreezing temps can severely degrade the performance of alkaline batteries. I've been using Energizer Ultimate Lithium now (and for trail cameras), which last a lot longer and are not so effected by freezing temperatures.

The Shockwave works very well but is a spendy and somewhat bulky/hefty caller. I use the caller primarily for calling predators, but sometimes use it for calling in crows (and it can call them in from miles away). I did add a couple of items to make the caller more functional, but it seems they've since been discontinued - Foxgrip and Foxgrip 2. Having those remotes aids me in keeping my movements to a minimum when calling. I also added an integrated decoy to the caller, but have used a Mojo Critter prior to.

This.
Foxpro Spitfire I got off Ebay ...well used. Works OK...mouth call works just as well....but the Foxpro gives you some separation. One memorable one very nearly ended up in my son's lap.

I was on a sit this morning and tipped my primos can and a big ole fatty came looking. I am a new hunter and wasn't sure of the season or I would have knocked him down.

I covered 3.8 miles of terrain today, and fresh coyote and bobcat tracks were all over the place. The predators have awaken and they're hungry.

I covered 3.8 miles of terrain today, and fresh coyote and bobcat tracks were all over the place. The predators have awaken and they're hungry.
I covered 8 miles today and saw numerous yote tracks plus a bobcat in Zone 9. Checked my gut pile from last week and the turkey gobbled it up, lol!

Time to warm up the calls. I had a coyote dogging me :p a couple of times while on stand (deer) during the last 30 minutes of shooting light last week.

Ill be taking the 6.5 out soon. Sign across the street is absolutely nuts. Can barely walk the road up to the field without stepping in coyote shit.

Tried coyote hunting all october out in NY.
Dropped a lucky duck call and the only thing that took any kind of interest were hawks and a single doe.
I had pictures of a pack of 5 coyotes nightly at that point.

I have had great luck with a simple wooden rabbit distress call at night, shotgun and .22lr. Haven’t lost one yet. they come in fast so be ready. Called in a double couple yrs ago but only got one, bout 10’ in front of me took a load of birdshot to chest bowled him over. The other one turned so quickly I didn’t get a shot, amazing how fast they can turn and be gone. It is Exciting, good luck. I like snow and some moonlight, they show up pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom