Anyone use Aguila Ammo?????

Picked some up today in .45ACP and .22LR

Looks good, but have not tried any.

Opinions?

My Wife has shot ~5K of the same .22LR Aguila that CMP sells (when they have it), yellow box. No problems and runs reliably.

I've only tried out their mini 12g shells in the KSG. No issues at all with it.

Of course, using these and going from 14+1 capacity to 24+1 capacity makes a kinda fuzzy and warm feeling all inside.

[grin]

Bought a case of .22 before it became scarce. Shoots great. Has a funny smell. But that only tells others that are in the know that you are shooting Aguilla.

I have used the aqilla from cmp both SV and their target stuff, along with the centerion which is made by aquilla plus 30 carbine. It all has done very well. The 22lr yellow box stuff from cmp by far is one of the best all around in function and accuracy in all my 22s.

I've got some Eley Sport 22 ammo which I believe is made by Aguila IIRC. Its pretty accurate and consistent like CCI SV. As others stated, it's got a interesting smell when you shoot em off.

Aguila .22 is advertised as being made with Eley primer system. Don't know any other commonality between companies but that is why they both smell the same.

Eley .22s are used by a lot of the very serious bullseye shooters, so that should tell you something about the quality of Aguila .22s.

I have used the 9mm. Its good. Shot well and pretty clean. It was a couple bucks more than the usual target ammo I like to shoot but not too bad.

I've shot lots of heir 22 with very little problems (no 22 is absolutely 100%). I purchased 2 cases of their 223 a while back. I had 3 case separations in 2 different ARs. The whole rim was pulled off by the extractor. I contacted them about it and sent photos of the cases. They responded and asked for the ammo lot #, then I never heard from them again.

My only complaint with the 22lr is funky powder smell. I found it way more consistent than most of the cheap bulk US stuff too.

Never shot those yet.The eley primer iswhat make it smell and more accurate. Normal 22 is primed with a dry powder which gets packed in the rim and not consistant. Eley is a powder which is inert until a drop of water is added, then the casing is spun so the liquid primer is dispersed evenly in the rim then dries. That is why its more accurate.

You would be amazed how much power comes from just the primer. They have one round with a 18gr bullet with no powder and only fired by primer. They make lots more fun rounds like the sniper sub sonic, a 60 gr bullet seated on a 22short case giving it overall length of 22lr.

They make some short 2" 12ga shells too

No problems with that ammo at all, I have shot 22LR sub sonic and super extra, got a box of 9mm last week and that fired off very well, I have seen it around a lot lately.

Tim

By my count I've gone through 10k rounds of .22LR Aguila from the CMP - it's accurate, all my finicky guns cycle it, and it's very well priced.

But it sure does smell funky...

I shot all my Aguila ammo about 30 min after I had breakfast at the club so there was no way I could distinguish any sort of smell from the ammo or me.

Tim [smile]

Have fired their .22 LR High velocity with a Ruger SR 22 - smooth and no issues. Tried it with a problematic Sig Mosquito - but in all fairness - the gun was known to have problems, and encountered the same problems that were being reported by the gun owner. Feeding issues and issues with the round being struck but not firing. Don't think it was an ammo issue - as the gun was already reported to be having these same issues. Flawless with ammo fired from the same brick when using the Ruger SR 22.

Also fired their .40 S&W with a Sig 226 - same results smooth and no issues. Fired their .45 with a S&W 1911 - same results - smooth no issues.

aguila SV yellow box Extra from cmp vs Rem surplus from the cmp

Was out today playing around. I have a tacsol AR upper that I put iron sights on for service rifle practice and indoor shooting. My sights are not zero'd yet so this was a quick throw down. 100 yards prone with sling. I let a young shooter take a few shots so one of us didnt hit paper [grin] 20 shots at ea target. I also have the centerion target that cmp was selling thats even a little better.

aguila SV extra, camera and picture skills suck but theres 15 or so shots and I circled a quater in the white area for reference.

Rem 1996 military contracted surplus from cmp

At list the aguila sorta groups.... On a good day I can put 20 rounds all over the 10 ring @ 100 yards prone. Only after a good amount of practice. Today was the first day I have shot since nov 3 2013

I shot up this target with my T33 but if you notice all the small holes in the bullseye, those are aguilla sub-sonics fired from my sears bolt action at about 50 yards.

- - - Updated - - -

I shot up this target with my T33 but if you notice all the small holes in the bullseye, those are aguilla sub-sonics fired from my sears bolt action at about 50 yards.

IMAG1167.jpg

I saw Aguila for sale at kittery a couple of weeks ago. Passed on it as it was priced at 14 cents a round. yup......70 bucks for a brick! I don't compete so cannot see spending that much for .22lr ammo. I guess if I was competing.....and the ammo was much more accurate I could justify spending that much but I'm not desperate for .22 and left it on the shelf. Can get two boxes of WWB or Federal for that!

re: .45 ACP

I put a box of it down range, through the 3.3" barrel of my XD Mod.2, and the cloud of smoke & still burning powder did a good job of obscuring my view of the target. Not that it didn't look cool, but I hadn't noticed that with other brands of ammo, fired through the 3.3" barrel of my XDs 45.

My Wife has shot ~5K of the same .22LR Aguila that CMP sells (when they have it), yellow box. No problems and runs reliably.

This, it's the only ammo that cycles in all my semi autos. I have the yellow box and the "centerion" brAnded stuff both target and match.

Back
Top Bottom