Anyone use Aguila Ammo?????

I must be the unlucky one. I bought a few 50rd boxes of the super extra and had a lot of issues in my MKIII and sr22. The sr22 can be a little fussy but the MKiii will shoot and cycle with anything.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Picked up some .22LR Interceptor, and it functioned & grouped very well out of my M&P 15-22. And, it's was a lot easier to find than CCI Velocitor.

I shoot either CCI mini-mags or Aguila exclusively in my SR-22 never had a problem with the Taco smelling ammo yet. Easily over 3000 rounds of Aguila through it. I've even used the Agulia in my Sig-Mosquito it shoots it, but that gun has small issues with all types of ammo. I shoot it in 9mm in my Colt 1911 with zero issues, and in .556 in my Mini-14 with no issues in that either. So far.

Last edited:
I grabbed a box of super extra high velocity 22. Same point of impact as mini mags and functioned my marlin model 60 without a problem. Some times it smells like tacos after shooting it. I plan on getting a couple bricks

I grabbed a box of super extra high velocity 22. Same point of impact as mini mags and functioned my marlin model 60 without a problem. Some times it smells like tacos after shooting it. I plan on getting a couple bricks

Aquila .22 ammo uses Eley primer, a mfr of very high end target ammo. Thus one can expect superior accuracy with this ammo. No idea wrt Aquila CF ammo as to whose primers they use.

Eley is a powder which is inert until a drop of water is added, then the casing is spun so the liquid primer is dispersed evenly in the rim then dries. That is why its more accurate.

Thanks for the info. Wondered why this was called out on their packaging. Now I know!

I've probably shot over 1000 rounds of their 9mm 124 gr without issue. The 115 gr doesn't always cycle so I never buy it.
The 124gr however is good stuff.
The .22 super Extra plated 40 grain cycles great through my SR22, it does have that stink people have mentioned , but it's
not bad and it's cheaper than CCI mini mags , which is what I like to shoot.
I've only shot about 200 rounds of their .45, no issues with it, a little smoky compared to Lawman or Blazer Brass though.
For .45 I think Lawman is the cleanest most accurate I've tried so far (Gecko is not bad either) , but it's always 2-3 $$ more a box than Blazer Brass so I usually just shoot that.

No problems with Aguila 45acp. I've run a half to full case+ of it. I've read that it smells funny, but I've never noticed anything.
Buy it & Use it.

I have shot at least 3 cases of Aguila SE standard velocity .22lr in Bullseye competition. Reasonably priced and very accurate.

I've shot about 2000 rounds of Aguila in 9mm, and probably about 750 rounds of their .45 Auto, never had an issue. I've shot bricks and bricks and bricks of their .22LR offerings, their rimfire cartridges have the funny smell due to the Eley primer, you just get used to it after a while and it's really a non-issue.

I'm only going on what I remember from Jr small bore.
There is a difference between eley developed primer compound and the eley priming system
So what I learned is some manufactures will use Eley priming compound and label it as such.
Then there is the eley priming system which you will also see on some manufactures like remington EPS ammo.
As for aguila ammo I have a good amount of some pre shortage production that over all in every 22 I have it functions and shoots well.
I also have some "centerion" branded aquila that has been very good both the short match and the LR target and match.
On the flip side I have some late 90s tenex that will shoot MOA out of one rifle and might as well be rem golden terds out of my 10/22?

Last edited:
FWIW:

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/03/ag...ail&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-9697510b83-20929381

There must be some connection with Aquila and the Royal Ammunition Company in Thailand, based on the similar packaging...
http://royalammunition.com/index.asp

Maybe royal packaged ammo aquilla will they repaired their plant in Mexico.... then again would not surprise me one bit if many of these ammo manufactures are owned by one giant company.
Like how ATK owns federal, CCI ,Estate and others

Correction...

Vista Outdoor Inc. (VSTO : NYSE) owns Federal, CCI, Estate, Savage, etc.
https://vistaoutdoor.com/history/

FWIW, S&W is now American Outdoor Brands (AOBC : Nasdaq), too.
http://www.aob.com/our-story/

Perhaps, Ruger will merge with Rubbermaid and they will be called American Home Products or some such....

Which is a sub shoot of ATK..
ATK owns vista out doors... looking into what ATK owns is eye opening. Lots and lots of stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is a sub shoot of ATK..
ATK owns vista out doors... looking into what ATK owns is eye opening. Lots and lots of stuff.

With rugers investment in casting and plastic parts I'm shocked they don't have a container in their line up...

How about those short shotshells? Anyone try them? Looks like the solution to getting more rounds in the tube.

Few of the guys I shoot trap with split a case. They are just OK.

They do not feed well in any of my pumps and laughable in the 1100.
I used them in my O/U mostly and had a shortshell shoot out with my friends at trap.
They busted clays if you where on.
Another friend put 1 deer and 3 coyote down with the mini slugs. Like a 20g .... 7/8 oz slug 1200fps for the short range shots we get around here that's plenty.

Last edited:
Few of the guys I shoot trap with split a case. They are just OK.

They do not feed well in any of my pumps and laughable in the 1100.
I used them in my O/U mostly and had a shortshell shoot out with my friends at trap.
They busted clays if you where on.
Another friend put 1 deer and 3 coyote down with the mini slugs. Like a 20g .... 7/8 oz slug 1200fps for the short range shots we get around here that's plenty.

Good enough; worth buying one box to find out for myself. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom