• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

anyone use this self-defense ammo

I've heard good things about the Magsafe but do not use it.

It's not fair to compare it to WWB because they are meant for different things. WWB is target ammo. This stuff and other self defense ammunition types are meant for putting a charging hostile down.

I wouldn't trust the shotshells only because I think in this case one fast, expanding projectile is better than three pellets.

I use Federal Hydra-Shoks myself. And they're not that cheap either ($1 each)

IMO all that stuff is gimmick/junk ammo and not to be trusted. People
have had the magsafe stuff come apart in their guns! The other stuff
is just laughable.

I'll take a box of Speer GDHPs, Golden Sabres, or Fed HST's any
day of the week.

-Mike

I'm sure you can find some sort of cartridge comparison on this on the web. I know I've seen them before.

My feeling is 1) I never want to have shoot someone, 2) If I ever have to shoot someone, it will be to protect the lives of me or my family, 3) If I shoot someone, I want them to stay down. I don't know that I'd trust the MagSafe or shotshell pistol rounds to do that.

I like CorBon's myself, but have used and also like HydraShoks, Hornady TAP's and other hollow-points. Remember, HP's were designed to expand better to stop a target better, and not overpenetrate.

I prefer to stick with the big three, Remington, Winchester, and Speer. You don't find large agencies stocked with any other brands.

Remington Golden Sabre
Winchester's Law enforcement brand
Speer gold dot

All proven designs, the rest of the decision is made based on function in the gun and price.

Last edited:
I use Federal Hydra-Shoks myself. And they're not that cheap either ($1 each)

I'm assuming from your prior comment ($6/box) that you are referring to 9mm.

I carry Hydra-Shoks all around (.45, .40, 9mm, .38) and NEVER paid more than $20/box of 50 (and 9mm is considerably cheaper than that). If you're paying $50/box, I suggest that you pay a visit to Four Seasons or Collectors for more sane prices.

I carry Hydra-Shoks all around (.45, .40, 9mm, .38) and NEVER paid more than $20/box of 50 (and 9mm is considerably cheaper than that). If you're paying $50/box, I suggest that you pay a visit to Four Seasons or Collectors for more sane prices.

Yeah.... FS sells HST2's for about $20 or so for 50 rounds. There's no
need to buy the "personal defense" stuff in the little 20 rnd plastic hard to open box, either. Most of those loadings (eg, fed "personal defense") suck and don't test well in ballistic gelatin anyways. (they all have oddball bullet weights and reduced power charges). The "PD" stuff is way
overpriced.

-Mike

Last edited:
I remember in the 80"s a jeweler on Bromfield st in Boston shot a BG who tried to hold him up shot him with a 380 loaded with Glaser safety slugs cops came saw the guys wound and wanted to now where the shotgun went

In controlled tests with .357 law enforcement loads, the 10 mm used by the FBI, and other hollow points, MagSafe .380 ACP beat 'em all!

bullshit_meter.jpg

No, I pay ~ $20 for a box of 20. (.40, .45, .357). I don't trust 9mms or my 9mm handgun (Sigma) to put someone down reliably anyway so I don't bother, just use standard federal JHPs in the Sigma.

$50 for a box of ammo? No thanks... even 5.7 is only $30 a box.

Yeah.... FS sells HST2's for about $20 or so for 50 rounds. There's no
need to buy the "personal defense" stuff in the little 20 rnd plastic hard to open box, either. Most of those loadings (eg, fed "personal defense") suck and don't test well in ballistic gelatin anyways. (they all have oddball bullet weights and reduced power charges). The "PD" stuff is way
overpriced.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice, I did buy those boxes and now will have to take a look at some of the more sanely priced loadings.

OK, I just pulled 3 boxes of Federal Premium Hydra-Shoks out. All are 50rd boxes and have price stickers from Four Seasons on them.

- .38Sp 110 gr - $17.95
- .40S&W 165 gr - $19.95
- .45ACP 230 gr - $19.95

I don't understand where you are buying this stuff for $20/20 rds ($1/rd), but you need to find somewhere else to spend your money! Do they wear a mask when they take your money??

Back
Top Bottom