• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone with a Lathe in the Andover, MA area for simple job?

Keop

NES Member
I have two aluminum barrel nuts that need 0.050 inches removed from the inner diameter to fit over a bull barrel. Anyone in the Andover, MA area with a lathe interested in a simple job?

I have two aluminum barrel nuts that need 0.050 inches removed from the inner diameter to fit over a bull barrel. Anyone in the Andover, MA area with a lathe interested in a simple job?
NO such thing as a simple job for these lathe runners! Lol
Being a sarcastic asshat.
i had a easier time finding someone to let me use their lathe!
By the time you find someone you could probably just bore it out with a dowl and course paper ?

Thankfully found someone that can can do it. Tried to drill it out with the exact size drill bit 1 1/16 but it wasn't having it.

That's nothing.
I worked in a small job shop in Westford that moved to Lowell. The owner was a master of not only crashing his own shit but he also programed on the side for a lot of other people and taught programing at Packard Machinery.
He could crash ANYTHING!!!

I should add I've crashed a few tools on a manual machine myself. Best I recall was a 5" shell mill in school.
Made a mess on a horizontal miller one day gang milling. Ops! Wrong lever. Aluminum speeds and feeds swinging some big ass carbide insert face mills didn't go well with a hardened tool steel fixture at MA/COM. The whole building heard that crash!!

Last edited:
Machine crashes are the best, lol.... Yes, a reamer would have been a good idea in lieu of that damn drill bit but the lathe made near instant work of them.

Back
Top Bottom