• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appendix Carry

One of the reasons I don't like appendix carry is that if someone does manage to grab your firearm, it's already pointed at your vitals.
If you are in close quarters, like in a fight, and your adversary starts to draw, what are you going to do? You are going to try to grab his wrist and maybe wrench the gun from his grip, right?
Well, I personally am more comfortable if that firearm is outside my hip. It is also much easier to defend the firearm by simply rotating my body.

AIWB carry, does offer the best concealment and a fast draw, but if it was faster than 3-4 o'clock, that is how Jerry Miculek would carry.
And when he carries on his own property, it's a .40. @Broccoli Iglesias

AIWB is far easier to defend from an attacker than 3-4 o’clock, it’s a straight downward one handed block where you can throw knees, elbows, head butts, clinches, etc at an attacker who’s directly in front of you - assuming you let someone that close to you that knows you’re carrying.

When the attack comes from the side/behind you lose a fair amount of control. When it’s AIWB you can see everyone in front of you who can see your gun. When it’s at 3-4 people outside your direct field of vision can possibly see your gun. At 3-4 it can get hung up on a chair when you get up (happened to me). You can bend over and grab groceries out of the cart and your shirt can ride up. When it’s AIWB you can generally control the field of vision.

Even a simple abdominal crunch - sitting, standing or on the ground makes it very difficult for someone to get your gun AIBW vs 3-4 o’clock.

That being said, I’d never point .40 at my junk because it would be devastating if it went off…

AIWB is far easier to defend from an attacker than 3-4 o’clock, it’s a straight downward one handed block where you can throw knees, elbows, head butts, clinches, etc at an attacker who’s directly in front of you - assuming you let someone that close to you that knows you’re carrying.

When the attack comes from the side/behind you lose a fair amount of control. When it’s AIWB you can see everyone in front of you who can see your gun. When it’s at 3-4 people outside your direct field of vision can possibly see your gun. At 3-4 it can get hung up on a chair when you get up (happened to me). You can bend over and grab groceries out of the cart and your shirt can ride up. When it’s AIWB you can generally control the field of vision.

Even a simple abdominal crunch - sitting, standing or on the ground makes it very difficult for someone to get your gun AIBW vs 3-4 o’clock.

That being said, I’d never point .40 at my junk because it would be devastating if it went off…
I don't disagree with anything you said. But I stand by my assertion that if an adversary gets hold of your firearm, the muzzle is already pointed in an unsafe direction.
Add to that if an ND were to happen, I'd rather shoot my hip/thigh than crotch/groin.
There is no doubt in my mind that AIWB offers some advantages. Where the doubt lies is if those advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages.

… If the holsters too short then the gun has a tendency to be too top heavy and roll out pushing the muzzle into you. …

You’re using the wrong holster, or just need to add a wedge to it. A wedge added to the bottom can help keep the muzzle end vertical so the handle doesn’t fall forward and print.

Some wedges are literally wedges, some are more tear drop shaped to form fit in the low area between your leg and your crotch.

Edit to add: Wheyher you use one of their holsters or other, PHLster has a good bit of appendix carry tips and techniques on their YouTube page. https://youtube.com/c/PHLster

Last edited:
AIWB is the only option for me while I’m at work, besides ankle or pocket carry.

my work shirts ride up on the sides and back too often; I would 100% be spotted sooner rather than later. That’s a no-no considering this is MA and a sizeable portion of the population probably honestly thinks guns are illegal here.

I tried to appendix carry my Beretta Nano and a N8Tactical padded holster. Gave that up after about a year.

This totally sums it up (especially for a skinny guy like myself !

1656435308545.png

If one wanted to ease into idea of AIWB carry with a Glock, you could get a striker control device and thumb the pistol into the holster for that extra assurance until comfortable with the carry. The downside being you're adding another operable part into the design where it was previously just a static piece. Not to say these are unreliable, but it does introduce another failure point one needs to check on moving forward.

langdon_tactical_scd.jpg

If one wanted to ease into idea of AIWB carry with a Glock, you could get a striker control device and thumb the pistol into the holster for that extra assurance until comfortable with the carry. The downside being you're adding another operable part into the design where it was previously just a static piece. Not to say these are unreliable, but it does introduce another failure point one needs to check on moving forward.

View attachment 642990
Or just buy a hammer fired gun

View attachment 642990
I installed the Striker Control Device (The Gadget) on all my Glocks when they first became available from the Tau Dev Group.

Highly recommended!

AIWB is my preferred carry method with a G19, G30, or IWI Masada. Very comfy and by far the most accessible while wearing a seatbelt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom