• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appendix Carry

Came into a Glock 36, an acquaintance dropped it off and had several other Glocks in holsters he had made. A few of them were appendix carry holsters. I've heard of appendix carry before of course but never tried it. I usually carry in a Milt Sparks VM2 or a Don Huhme slide, or a high riding OWB.

I tired out his holster setup, AIWB set up for the pistol and a spare mag, and man, it was pretty comfy. I know it sounds silly, but did it take time to get used to the muzzle pressing/pointing at your junk?

With other carries, I imagine you might put a hole in your outer ass cheek or thigh, but AIWB, your looking at some important stuff to include a femoral.

Or, is it really "Stape, dont be a dumbass or carry janky handguns, you'll be fine....?"

FWIW I don't carry janky roscoes, never had an ND/AD, and I'm safety conscious, and understand 99.9% of NDs/ADs are from idiots with poor re-holstering techniques . Just curious on others experience.

Pros: Quick, smooth draw.
Cons: uncomfortable if you carry some extra weight, or in sitting positions a lot.
Danger: highly damaging for f*ups. It doesn't matter if it's the gun's, holster's or your fault, important stuff downrange as you already figured out.

Ive tried it a couple of times. Cant get past how awkward it is to be sitting or in a vehicle. Maybe Im doing something wrong. FWIW, Im 6'1, ~195 but it still digs into my gut and leg to the point where I was constantly having to move it around. Tried more than once and want it to work but it doesnt for me.

lol you guys crack me up...

Yea, well I tried a G19, G36 and a G26, and while you know its there of course, it was secure and didn't dig in or create any pressure points, and concealed easy with a haynes white T under-shirt. I'm 6ft 195 with maybe an extra 5lbs of "padding" so its difficult finding a carry thats comfortable that doesn't print horribly in summer clothes. Like mentioned, usually its strong side IWB but I gotta draw my belt in TIGHT to keep it secure and minimize printing, and that can get uncomfortable pretty quick and needs adjusting between sitting/standing for any period of time.

When trying the AIWB, I crouched down into a slavic squat, sat on the couch, bent over, about most things I could see doing, and again, you know its there but it didn't prevent any movement or wasn't uncomfortable. Who knows, wearing it for a few days might change my mind about it, but really, that whole muzzle awareness is the biggest thing. I probably sound like some Karen who carries with an empty chamber by now.

Came into a Glock 36, an acquaintance dropped it off and had several other Glocks in holsters he had made. A few of them were appendix carry holsters. I've heard of appendix carry before of course but never tried it. I usually carry in a Milt Sparks VM2 or a Don Huhme slide, or a high riding OWB.

I tired out his holster setup, AIWB set up for the pistol and a spare mag, and man, it was pretty comfy. I know it sounds silly, but did it take time to get used to the muzzle pressing/pointing at your junk?

With other carries, I imagine you might put a hole in your outer ass cheek or thigh, but AIWB, your looking at some important stuff to include a femoral.

Or, is it really "Stape, dont be a dumbass or carry janky handguns, you'll be fine....?"

FWIW I don't carry janky roscoes, never had an ND/AD, and I'm safety conscious, and understand 99.9% of NDs/ADs are from idiots with poor re-holstering techniques . Just curious on others experience.
I carried at 4 o'clock for 20 something years but was never able to make it comfortable. I spent a small fortune on belts and holsters trying to find the right combo, but was never able to get it to work.

Now I AIWB carry exclusively and am comfortable all day long. I use the Tier1 AGIS Elite, which comes with a spare mag holder, and find that the flex between the holster and the mag carrier actually helps with comfort. I use this set up for P365 in the warm months, and G19 for the other 10 months.

Benefits are faster draw, and most people won't try to touch you there if they come in for a hug, whereas at 4 o'clock they might.

Everyone's body is different though, so it may not work well for all.

I carried at 4 o'clock for 20 something years but was never able to make it comfortable. I spent a small fortune on belts and holsters trying to find the right combo, but was never able to get it to work.

Now I AIWB carry exclusively and am comfortable all day long. I use the Tier1 AGIS Elite, which comes with a spare mag holder, and find that the flex between the holster and the mag carrier actually helps with comfort. I use this set up for P365 in the warm months, and G19 for the other 10 months.

Benefits are faster draw, and most people won't try to touch you there if they come in for a hug, whereas at 4 o'clock they might.

Everyone's body is different though, so it may not work well for all.
Thanks, I'll check out that holster.

but I gotta draw my belt in TIGHT to keep it secure and minimize printing
nah, excuses. the right belt/holster combo is as good as gold. i bet you use one of those pussy 1/2" dress belts, don't ya, cause you're too cheap to buy a correct gun belt that won't turn over on you when you cinch it wearing a gun and holster. and you want us to decide how you should carry your gun, don't you? i really don't give a f*** what you do, only you can decide. so write you're little pro/con list and come back and tell us what you decided. there, someone said it! i'm going on to something important like start my diet pepsi thread.

nah, excuses. the right belt/holster combo is as good as gold. i bet you use one of those pussy 1/2" dress belts, don't ya, cause you're too cheap to buy a correct gun belt that won't turn over on you when you cinch it wearing a gun and holster. and you want us to decide how you should carry your gun, don't you? i really don't give a f*** what you do, only you can decide. so write you're little pro/con list and come back and tell us what you decided. there, someone said it! i'm going on to something important like start my diet pepsi thread.

I guess Milt Sparks belts are cheap. What belts do condescending angry a**h***s with no manners recommend? Sheesh, I thought this was a discussion board.

lol you guys crack me up...

Yea, well I tried a G19, G36 and a G26, and while you know its there of course, it was secure and didn't dig in or create any pressure points, and concealed easy with a haynes white T under-shirt. I'm 6ft 195 with maybe an extra 5lbs of "padding" so its difficult finding a carry thats comfortable that doesn't print horribly in summer clothes. Like mentioned, usually its strong side IWB but I gotta draw my belt in TIGHT to keep it secure and minimize printing, and that can get uncomfortable pretty quick and needs adjusting between sitting/standing for any period of time.

When trying the AIWB, I crouched down into a slavic squat, sat on the couch, bent over, about most things I could see doing, and again, you know its there but it didn't prevent any movement or wasn't uncomfortable. Who knows, wearing it for a few days might change my mind about it, but really, that whole muzzle awareness is the biggest thing. I probably sound like some Karen who carries with an empty chamber by now.
Other than pocket carrying a PM9, aiwb carry of a G43X is the most comfortable, easiest, and fastest draw for me. I use a CYA (veteran owned) brand holster which allows me to cant the holster about 15 degs. That way I'll blow a hole in the femoral artery vs. taking off my junk.

Other than pocket carrying a PM9, aiwb carry of a G43X is the most comfortable, easiest, and fastest draw for me. I use a CYA (veteran owned) brand holster which allows me to cant the holster about 15 degs. That way I'll blow a hole in the femoral artery vs. taking off my junk.
I've got a 43 I can try as well. All good info and holster recommendations. Thanks!

Lol.compact guns for aiwb.
I carried a usp full size for about a year aiwb.
Then a beretta 92/96 for a bit.
I agree that larger (longer barrel) are more comfortable for appendix carry. If I was carrying a g26 or g19 I would use a g34 length holster. If the holsters too short then the gun has a tendency to be too top heavy and roll out pushing the muzzle into you. For AIWB I'll also ony use kydex and prefer JM custom or darkstar gear holsters. I've heard Keepers are nice as well but haven't tried one yet. I'll also add any of those sidecar style appendix holsters where the mag carrier is attached to the holster are the absolute worst, I've tried about a half a dozen and none of them were as comfortable as a separate holster and mag carrier. Some people might love them but they just didn't work for me

I have no beef with AIWB. I've tried to get it to work for me, but I can't. That said, I find it hilarious that so many people who consider the 4 rules of gun safety to be the word of God have no problem with sweeping their junk on a daily basis. I know I'll get a ration of $#!+ for saying this, but it's true.

carry any way you feel safe and can get the gun safely out of the holster and on target

my preference is 3:00 for easy of extraction and a smooth motion to get the gun out in front and on target

I also prefer 3:00 for removing the gun from the holster to hold in my right hand either behind my ass cheek or by my side

YMMV

i appendix carry a G17 or a 92 with spare magazine for the past ~6 years. it is extremely comfortable. the path is 1) good belt like a blue force gear and 2) JM custom kydex holster. Also shorter holster length is worse. one wants a certain amount of holster length for stability on the belt. i highly recommend AIWB for anyone who is willing to learn it and spend time on it.

the folks who trash AIWB are either 1) 400 lbs or 2) never adequately tried it.

If you want more suggestions on specific gear I'm happy to share my experiences. good luck.

i appendix carry a G17 or a 92 with spare magazine for the past ~6 years. it is extremely comfortable. the path is 1) good belt like a blue force gear and 2) JM custom kydex holster. Also shorter holster length is worse. one wants a certain amount of holster length for stability on the belt. i highly recommend AIWB for anyone who is willing to learn it and spend time on it.

the folks who trash AIWB are either 1) 400 lbs or 2) never adequately tried it.

If you want more suggestions on specific gear I'm happy to share my experiences. good luck.
An adjustable cant is highly recommended.

One of the reasons I don't like appendix carry is that if someone does manage to grab your firearm, it's already pointed at your vitals.
If you are in close quarters, like in a fight, and your adversary starts to draw, what are you going to do? You are going to try to grab his wrist and maybe wrench the gun from his grip, right?
Well, I personally am more comfortable if that firearm is outside my hip. It is also much easier to defend the firearm by simply rotating my body.

AIWB carry, does offer the best concealment and a fast draw, but if it was faster than 3-4 o'clock, that is how Jerry Miculek would carry.
And when he carries on his own property, it's a .40. @Broccoli Iglesias

Last edited:
I shot a local IDPA match the other night. A lady on my squad was shooting a G17 that she was AIWB carrying. It didn't print; even after I knew she was carrying AIWB, I couldn't see it. She was wearing a shirt over a t-shirt, but nothing screamed "gun".

An adjustable cant is highly recommended.

what? With AIWB one may occasionally want slight reverse cant but for the most part the holster should be perpendicular to belt line. There is no use for forward cant with AIWB. None.

below is my current EDC. It’s been this for a few years now.
G17
extra mag
JMCK holsters for both
o light S2R baton 2
pom spray

comfortable as it gets

BC5BE1FA-1BDA-423C-83C7-FBF4967CB5AA.jpeg

Another tall, thin dude checking in. I'm not worried about the gun going off because it's a reliable firearm in a good holster.

90% of the time, I have a G45 with spare mag in a Tier 1 Axis rig. Like the above-mentioned Aegis, it has flex in the middle that helps with comfort. When I'm not using that, I have a Shield that I carry in a simple kydex holster, also at appendix.

Two things I've found help your belt do its job are related to placement:
1) make sure it's above the points of your hips, and you won't need the belt to be as tight. This may mean getting pants with more rise
2) move the buckle left or right by one position, so everything isn't stacked up in front of you.

Back
Top Bottom