Apple to Announce New 'iPhone SE' Today With Pricing Starting at $399

number9

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any truth that Apple forces you to use them for battery replacement or else the phone will stop working? Someone told me that they shut the Staples, etc. out of the battery replacement biz, forcing you to pay $200+ at the Apple Store.
Can't speak for Staples but there are a zillion places that will replace your battery. Apple will not sell genuine OEM batteries to third-party repair places, so the battery you get will be aftermarket but in all likelihood just as good.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
And just like that, everyone starts buying Chinese junk again.

So much for the "BUY AMERICAN!"
There's no way to vote with your dollars in that market though, nearly all cell phones are made in China.

The only way to influence change as a consumer is to stop buying new phones- and if you take a survey, you go "I use old shitty recycled phones because I don't like sending $$$$ to chinese manufacturing..."

-Mike

Roy Rogers

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I recently upgraded the Li-Po battery and replaced the broken screen on an iPhone SE original 2016 model. I hope it'll be good for a few more years. My daughter in high school upgraded the battery and replaced the screen on her iPhone 6. All done with inexpensive aftermarket kits complete with necessary tools sold on Amazon, how-to videos on YouTube. Simple and inexpensive do-it-yourself projects, no electronics expertise involved. If you can field strip and reassemble a gun, there's a good chance you can fix a phone. Parts for other iPhone and Android models are available. The appeal of the SE for many isn't price, it's the compact form factor. The new SE is a little larger, but still more compact than other current models. Edit to add: there are online discussions about the SE in which people say they'd pay a premium for a compact phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What do you consider to be its direct $199 competition?
There isnt any in no small part due to the way the phone manufacturers and carriers manipulate prices......

For example.....the phone in question is offered for "Free" by many carriers if you agree to a term on or around 3 years

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
What do you consider to be its direct $199 competition?
This is one thing I am willing to concede to apple... their mid range shit is a lot more robust than a lot of android mid and low range phones, which are mostly f***ing doodoo. Like if you said "mike you have 20 seconds to decide you can have this new iphone SE or some 200 dollar ish android phone" I would probably end up picking the SE just because I know it probably won't
be as shitty as 80% of the android phones in that price class. And I know that, based on sampling at work, I could probably milk an easy 3 years out of that thing, maybe more with a
battery swap at some point. Hell I am still using my old 7Plus / 256GB at work but admittedly it doesn't see serious use off charger....

I also had a user recently turn in an original iPhone SE, and the battery was still relatively decent... deteriorated runtime, but still useable. Oddly enough too, unlike a lot of their other devices Apple still does iOS updates even on stuff that would have been long considered orphaned or deprecated in android land. It's too bad they're total faggots about putting in a MicroSD card
slot.

-Mike

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Its only over priced by about 200 bux....but otherwise....
5 months later I just bought one for $200.

It's on order and I'm getting a free line for ever.

I'm putting the new SE on my current line and the old phone as a backup for my car.

• Haha
Reactions: jpk

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I just bought one an hour ago for $400. What did I miss?
Oh man.

I saw them for sale at Walmart for different carriers for $200 (24 installments).

I went home and told them about that deal (Sprint) and she offered me a free line for life and an SE2 for $200 (in 24 month installments).

I'd call up whoever sold you that phone and ask for the deal.

Most places give you a 14 day return period.

EDIT:

My old phone is a 6.

I'm not paying $1,000 for a 12 for 5G.

I can't run an iOS after 12 so I needed a new phone.

The money I saved I put toward Insurance / AppleCare +.
I also ordered a cool case.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
No kidding. It’s a gift though so I can’t really sign him up for a new line or anything like that. Will look into it - thanks reptile.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
No kidding. It’s a gift though so I can’t really sign him up for a new line or anything like that. Will look into it - thanks reptile.
If you get a free line, you don't have to use it.

You can put the iPhone SE2 on his current line.

EDIT:

Bad news (sort of):

I think I'm going to return my sealed in box iPhone SE 2 to the store.

I think I want the 12 mini.

The SE 2 is a great deal and all and I'm sorry if I mislead anyone.

I just think I can afford another $400 over 2 years to pay for the mini.

Unfortunately, I'll have to return a very expensive case that i just bought. I'll just have to pay shipping but that is ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom