• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(Update: Round 2) Appleseed this weekend, getting ready, AQT prep

Good luck. Be comfortable. Elbow and knee pads! Lots of up down.
Personally, I hate the way knee pads dig in the back of my leg when theyre too tight, or slide down when they're not tight enough. I started wearing Carhartt carpenter pants which have knee pockets that accept their knee pads, but I just buy car wash sponges and cut them to fit. (Level 10 skin-flint). Super comfortable and no straps.

Personally, I hate the way knee pads dig in the back of my leg when theyre too tight, or slide down when they're not tight enough. I started wearing Carhartt carpenter pants which have knee pockets that accept their knee pads, but I just buy car wash sponges and cut them to fit. (Level 10 skin-flint). Super comfortable and no straps.
It was always an issue for me as well. Hard to keep elbow and knee pads in place

I kinda tried to find some, but it was last minute, and didn't try so hard. Figured the padded shooting mat would help. Yea, nope

You live..... You learn
Are these still available ?

You can also hunt down a old school USMC shooting jacket.
1597059763545.png

or just go full on

A heavy glove on your support hand when using the sling is very helpful also.
When I first started I used a old oven mitt. They dont hold up well though.

Last edited:
those shooting jackets look like it would have caused heat exhaustion over the past few days. Also, aren't those jackets used for high-power shooting? While my right shoulder is a little tender, isn't that much for an Appleseed?

My knees are fine, oddly enough, But this morning every where else hurts. Back is the real killer right now. Banged my elbow into a door frame walking out of the bedroom and wow did that hurt. haha.

Well, plans for this week. Get the patched sewed onto some Velcro. Find a new range to become a member at, my old membership lapsed about the same time my kid was born. I've been going to the range off and on with friends, but not as much I should have been going. Need to get back to the range and train for my next event. I had so much fun, this was my first firearms training, you know besides the mandatory one for my LTC, and i had a blast. It did a great job of pointing out so much I didn't know and the simple fact I need to get actual training. So range time and training classes are in my future.

if you can get the right kind, volleyball or basketball I think, they’re super comfortable and light. Bigger size goes over the clothes so no binding

those shooting jackets look like it would have caused heat exhaustion over the past few days. Also, aren't those jackets used for high-power shooting? While my right shoulder is a little tender, isn't that much for an Appleseed?

My knees are fine, oddly enough, But this morning every where else hurts. Back is the real killer right now. Banged my elbow into a door frame walking out of the bedroom and wow did that hurt. haha.

Well, plans for this week. Get the patched sewed onto some Velcro. Find a new range to become a member at, my old membership lapsed about the same time my kid was born. I've been going to the range off and on with friends, but not as much I should have been going. Need to get back to the range and train for my next event. I had so much fun, this was my first firearms training, you know besides the mandatory one for my LTC, and i had a blast. It did a great job of pointing out so much I didn't know and the simple fact I need to get actual training. So range time and training classes are in my future.
Don't forget a lot of the stuff they teach at Appleseeds can be practiced at home. You'll also train your muscles to be in those shooting positions as well

if you can get the right kind, volleyball or basketball I think, they’re super comfortable and light. Bigger size goes over the clothes so no binding
I've tried them all and nothing is more comfortable and convenient than work pants with built-in kneepad pouches. Try them once and you'll never go back.

i guess it depends on just how hot it is.
i wear pants and often long sleeve shirts all summer. i tried the elbow/knee pad . i wear heavy canvas type paints when i know Im shooting prone or sitting and the jacket keeps the elbow pads where they need to be . i have a light canvas one and a heavy/hardback one. i would not hesitate to wear it at appleseed. I also would run a appleseed
for score with "plain" cloths.
The jacket with the sling collar cuts back on abrasion and your pulse feeding through the sling.
the glove protects the back of support hand and wrist.
is it for high power, sure but you should check out the air rifle and small bore shooters gear!
they even have special shoes

I've tried them all and nothing is more comfortable and convenient than work pants with built-in kneepad pouches. Try them once and you'll never go back.

yea I was Carhart the other day and picked up a pair of their light weight canvas pants for the event. While i was there i noticed that some of the pants had built in inserts for pads. I'll have to look into those. But the knees are way less of a concern than my elbows.

Any considerations/discussions regarding doing additional Appleseeds this year in NH?

IIRC there's one more in the fall but its limited to 8 and its sold out

Given current climate I suspect most any 1 or 2 day seed you run will sell out fast.....and create more Rifleman.....
Are they turning folks away now due to Covid? In the past if you showed up with cash you could get on the line.

Any considerations/discussions regarding doing additional Appleseeds this year in NH?

IIRC there's one more in the fall but its limited to 8 and its sold out

Given current climate I suspect most any 1 or 2 day seed you run will sell out fast.....and create more Rifleman.....

I don't know about additional events in NH, but they did talk about hoping that the events would be opened up to more than 8 soon. There was only five of us at the event for the weekend. two no shows. So it was really nice to have such a small group of people. We really pushed through a lot AQT on the 2nd day. Good group of people. There was one other guy who earned his rifleman this weekend. Did it on the first day.

I would like to see some more events more often. So I'm not limited to a handful a year. Makes it easier to plan. I'll be going back a few times, as I want to score rifleman with my iron sights, and I now have my target set on 240 or better for those patches.

The limited capacity is due to the Chinese virus; the host club has a policy limit of ten people at any event. That number comes from the state Governor's current advice to organizations. It could be lifted before the October event; and if it is, we will raise the limit to meet the host club's capacity. The firing line on this particular range at the club has a physical capacity of 15. I will post an update here on NES as soon as I learn of any changes to the capacity limit for the October event.

It is my hope that once the hysteria has passed, we can expand the program to other clubs in the state. We also had dates planned for Vermont this year, but the Chinese virus stalled them also.

I bought one of these for a shooting jacket when Im all day in the prone.
It has pockets for elbow pads.
It keeps the sun off the back of my neck as well as keeps hot brass out as well.
the light weight and light color arent too bad in the hot sun.
it has velcro on the sleeves for those Rifleman patches.
It was short money.
1597189457033.png

Another option is if you have a light canvas jacket you already like you can buy these and glue them on.

Another option

Last edited:
So I did it again, haha, spent the weekend at Pioneer for another Appleseed event. Damn, I'm hooked. I had so much fun this past weekend. Met a lot of great people, really just spent the weekend with a smile on my face.

Last year was hell with the heat, this weekend was way nicer. Overcast, but cool.

I'm hooked, as soon as new events go up. I'll be signing up again. It's just too much fun!!!!

If you need cold-weather .22LR ammo, normashooting.com has a sale on TAC-22 for $75 a brick. Because they use a greasy lube rather than the wax that CCI and Eley use, Norma and SK chamber more reliably in cold temperatures.

I'm headed to the Mansfield, MA Appleseed this weekend!

My son and I shot the Appleseed there in Nov 19' and we had a great time, despite the rain. My LTR is a little heavier now (so am I, unfortunately) with the addition of a Shaw barrel, new trigger pack and a red dot. My old eyes couldn't really see the 400yd target, just four little hazy areas at the bottom of the AQT. Now I'll wear rx glasses and will be able to see the entire target!

Can't wait!

I'm headed to the Mansfield, MA Appleseed this weekend!

My son and I shot the Appleseed there in Nov 19' and we had a great time, despite the rain. My LTR is a little heavier now (so am I, unfortunately) with the addition of a Shaw barrel, new trigger pack and a red dot. My old eyes couldn't really see the 400yd target, just four little hazy areas at the bottom of the AQT. Now I'll wear rx glasses and will be able to see the entire target!

Can't wait!

I had a lot of issues with my eyes during the event as well. I believe t came down to a few factors, like fatigue, but the one that had the most affect were my glasses. I was using my everyday glasses. No real bridge support, fixed bridge, out of date rx, and smaller lenses. By end of day one, the 400 targets were a soft blur. Some rest over night, eye drops, and lots of water helped.

One serious upgrade I need to make is in a set of rx shooting glasses. I have a set of Rudy project glasses with the Rx insert, but I hated the insert so I never kept up with the Rx so I just continued to use my regular glasses. Just range day plinking they r fine. But for things like Appleseed or competition, I really think having a dedicated shooting setup is the way to go.

No doubt about it... Several years ago I had an optritican (sp?) fit an old pair of Ray-Ban's with Rx yellow lenses with focal point set where it should be for shotgun. They suck. The lenses are total crap and I was never happy with them. I guess it's time to step up and pay for a real set. There's a great shop called Pirelli Optical in Beverly that is out of network for my vivion insurance and I'm finding it difficult to pay a premium for something that I'd have coverage for somewhere else. I guess really am becoming a true Swamp Yankee after all!

The red-dot (Vortex Venom) has been great since I'm able to wear my driving glasses and everything is in focus. Turns out that seeing the target is pretty important.

Back
Top Bottom