• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Applessed: Harvard April 16-17 2016

johnnymac101

NES Member
Just signed up! Bringing a buddy's son age 14.

I haven't been to an Appleseed for a while, what is the normal round count at Harvard?
I know you can bring any caliber rifle, but are the majority still .22?

Got to say, this cap looks sharp, I'll be aiming for one!

AS105-RiflemanCap-Large.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to have you coming!

Typical round count is between 500 and 1200 rounds for the weekend, depending on how quickly people are getting it and how hard you drive yourself at the AQTs come Sunday afternoon.
The majority of rifles will be .22s, as most people don't have that quantity of centerfire ammo kicking around.

We have a group of about 9 signed up as of right now. There will be a mix of about 60/40 .22/5.56. I'm shooting 5.56 all weekend.

Last go around, I did .22 day one, and 5.56 day 2. I think I spent about 750 rounds total.

Excited for the warm weather and some good ole fashioned heritage!

What are you guys shooting for rifles? What do you have for sights? i have some great shooting 22's but they have scopes and red dots. Would I need iron sights to participate?

I'll bring a Marlin 795 with peep sights and a S&W MP15-22 (short 10 rnd mags for prone shooting!)

What kind of rifle do I need? What kind of sights are allowed?
Appleseed is content-free, so in regards to sights: you can use any. Rifles? Well, you can use any safe firearm which can be accurately shot from the shoulder, from a .22 to a .32 (8mm). We're semi-auto and bolt-gun friendly. The important thing is that it works, so before you come to a shoot make sure you clean it, break it in (if need be), and lube it properly in preparation for the day.

The only thing you really need is a sling... a good old US M1 Garand sling works the best
Here is the website: http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

What are you guys shooting for rifles? What do you have for sights? i have some great shooting 22's but they have scopes and red dots. Would I need iron sights to participate?

I am shooting a mostly stock AR-15 with Iron Sights. I am loaning Shiprec a S&W 15-22, which I shot at the last seed. Irons on that as well. I know a couple of Ruger 10/22's will be there in our group, those will have tech sights on them.
If day one goes well for me, I may bring an M1 Garand for day 2. Going to see how I feel.

If what you got is scoped and red dotted, bring it. You will get a lot out of this no matter what you bring. I believe the most important thing you can bring, I heard, was a "teachable attitude."

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
A buddy and I will also be there. I've been debating between a 10/22 and a mini 14. First appleseed for me!

Last edited:
A buddy and I will also be there. I've been debating between a 10/22 and a mini 14. First appleseed for me!

I would bring both. First, it's a long couple days of shooting. You could have a malfunction or breakdown that makes a backup rifle a bonus.

Also, I found that getting the basics with the .22 and then adding in the concussion and slight recoil of the 5.56 once I had a slight grasp was helpful.

I find shooting "Rifleman" qualifying groups to be a lot easier with a .22 than a centerfire rifle. YMMV

After debating about it for a while I decided to stick with the .22 so I can focus on learning and not worry about the heavier rifle with the heavier recoil. I'll bring the mini 14 as a back up as recommended!

Just letting everyone know- we have loaner rifles available. We also have quality .22LR available for youth shooters only. Please PM me, Lupis42, aim, or hbennett to be connected to a loaner rifle(s) or youth ammo.

Signed up for the event in Harvard MA. I went to one last year and was shooting my AR-15 but this time around I'm thinking of using my Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I put Tech sites on it, added a sling and may put in an extended mag release. However, I recently heard some people experienced difficulty using the takedown. Can anyone attest to this? Should I be concerned or just go for it?

Thanks

Signed up for the event in Harvard MA. I went to one last year and was shooting my AR-15 but this time around I'm thinking of using my Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I put Tech sites on it, added a sling and may put in an extended mag release. However, I recently heard some people experienced difficulty using the takedown. Can anyone attest to this? Should I be concerned or just go for it?

Thanks

You shouldn't have any problems with it. If you do, we'll help sort them out!

I witnessed problems with earlier takedowns (they wouldn't separate at the end of the day), but multiple takedowns survived the weekend without issues over the last year plus. Feeding problems with the waxy coating on the cartridges picking up the Harvard dirt? Yes. Takedown-specific issues or difficulties? Not that I observed.

Been thinking about going to the fall Appleseed at Harvard. Would really like to bring my son and/or daughter. Both are pretty good shots with my ruger 10/22. They're 7 and 8 years old.

Too young? Too much commotion? Never been to one, so no idea what to expect. If I did bring my son, I'd probably not participate, just supervise him.

Back
Top Bottom