Applying for LTC in Red Town with *potential* prior restraining order

Hey all. So I'm applying for an LTC in Lowell, MA. I have no criminal history. I was arrested once for possession of marijuana, but was not formally charged and thus was not found guilty. The case was dismissed when a passenger in my car admitted it was his and not mine. For that reason, I am not very concerned about that arrest. However- about 8 years ago, back when I was in college, I was in a minor scuffle with a friend. It was small, there were no injuries or anything of the sort, and it lasted all but 1 minute. Still, he ended up getting a civil restraining order against me. It was for 10-14 days, and once that time had past he did not renew it and I never had to show up to court or anything. Now here I am, 8 years later, trying to apply for an LTC wondering if that fight is going to bite me in the ass. Would this be on my public record/come up in a background check? Would it have been automatically expunged since it was so minor and so long ago? How should I go about this? Would appreciate any and all thoughts/suggestions/experiences.

Hey all. So I'm applying for an LTC in Lowell, MA. I have no criminal history. I was arrested once for possession of marijuana, but was not formally charged and thus was not found guilty. The case was dismissed when a passenger in my car admitted it was his and not mine. For that reason, I am not very concerned about that arrest. However- about 8 years ago, back when I was in college, I was in a minor scuffle with a friend. It was small, there were no injuries or anything of the sort, and it lasted all but 1 minute. Still, he ended up getting a civil restraining order against me. It was for 10-14 days, and once that time had past he did not renew it and I never had to show up to court or anything. Now here I am, 8 years later, trying to apply for an LTC wondering if that fight is going to bite me in the ass. Would this be on my public record/come up in a background check? Would it have been automatically expunged since it was so minor and so long ago? How should I go about this? Would appreciate any and all thoughts/suggestions/experiences.
Most gun guys would say to put it on the application and you can explain it. Dont lie ever. In that town you will probably be f***ed. Move away.

Get a gun rights lawyer, get your CORI, etc. Don't go about it half assed because a denial is much harder to overturn.

Most gun guys would say to put it on the application and you can explain it. Dont lie ever. In that town you will probably be f***ed. Move away.
Yea I don't plan on lying at all- trying to be totally truthful while optimizing my chances of being accepted however I can. Unfortunately, moving away isn't an option for me because I start a 3 year graduate program here in the summer. I guess I'll just try and explain everything as best as I can and hope they restrict my license instead of deny it.

Get a gun rights lawyer, get your CORI, etc. Don't go about it half assed because a denial is much harder to overturn.
Yea sounds about right. Do you know anything about the likelihood of a red town denying an applicant vs. simply restricting their license? (ie- them giving me a sporting restriction or FID instead of denying me).

Yea sounds about right. Do you know anything about the likelihood of a red town denying an applicant vs. simply restricting their license? (ie- them giving me a sporting restriction or FID instead of denying me).
In Lowell it's very likely they will deny you based on "suitability". Lawyer up. There are several lawyers on here that are great. I also know Stephen Burke, he offers a consult for $95 I believe, but you need to get a copy of your CORI and stuff first.

Hold off applying for the moment.

Go get a copy of your CORI, and get the records from your incident including disposition from the courthouse.

Any Attorney you consult will need to see those documents to give an opinion and form a strategy.

It is a lot cheaper to pay a good Attorney for a consultation and a couple of hours time to get your application presented in the most favorable light than it is to hire one after the fact to fight a denial at the District Court level, where your chances of getting a Judge to override the issuing authority is slim to none.

One thing in your favor was it was not a domestic (209A) order, but what you have going against you is it is Lowell where you want to apply.

Remember a denial follows you for life.

all good advice in the above posts. don't apply until you get a lawyer and all your ducks in a row.

Don't even apply in Mass where you may get denied. Just move up to NH and buy whatever you want without having to beg your chief of police.
Then tuition and fees triple. Everything has a cost.
  1. Get all court records (rather than paying lawyer through to nose to get them).
  2. Consult an attorney with court records in hand.
  3. Decide whether to
    1. Apply in Lowell.
    2. Move to a friendly Mass. town and apply there.
    3. Move out of state (<= it's not as if you can carry, transport, store on campus - see below).
    4. Give up until after leaving college.
Note well:
You will not even be able to get away with
carrying (transporting) to/from campus.
Someone will spot you accessing storage in the parking lot,
and you will lose Big Time.

Back
Top Bottom