Applying for MA state LTC

Good Morning everyone,
I'm US Army Reserves trying to apply for an LTC class A unrestricted, I live in lowell. Went to the local PD licensing office for the information and I was told that other than the application filled out, i need like 100 for the certificate fee and another 150 for the license itself or something. As well as being a service member, i need to have something signed off by my company commander?
However, I ran this by an NCO in my platoon who also has his LTC but from a different town, being very experienced with firearms, told me this is innacurate. He said its in the MA state gun laws that all a service member needs is to show military ID and pay a fee of 100$. He said to print off the section of the MA gun laws and show it to the detective, and I think I found it but not sure whether its the most and/or only relevant part of it that i need to show. So my question is if theres anything else in the gun laws i should look at and after having the information i need, how should i proceed with the section of the gun laws?
Thank you very much and sorry for the trouble!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181204-131304_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181204-131304_Chrome.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 42
As far as fees are concerned, its a $100 fee only.

Follow the steps here, which describes the process for Lowell:

All Forms of License to Carry (LTC) | Lowell, MA

They also require additional steps to obtain an unrestricted license, see this link:

Unrestricted License to Carry (LTC) | Lowell, MA

Assuming you meet all of the above criteria, they may issue an unrestricted (no guarantees). All of the answers to the information you asked can be found directly from the Lowell PD website

I went for interview yesterday , I sumit what ever they require for plus 100$ fee. Officer told me it can be 3 to 4 month period to get licence

??? is this true? never heard this before.
I believe the issue is that military training is accepted as meeting the MA firearms training requirement - all other aspects and requirements of the application process are the same as for lifelong civilians. This does leave a potential MA law knowledge gap if the service member does not take it upon him/herself to get thusly educated.

Good Morning everyone,
I'm US Army Reserves trying to apply for an LTC class A unrestricted, I live in lowell. Went to the local PD licensing office for the information and I was told that other than the application filled out, i need like 100 for the certificate fee and another 150 for the license itself or something. As well as being a service member, i need to have something signed off by my company commander?
However, I ran this by an NCO in my platoon who also has his LTC but from a different town, being very experienced with firearms, told me this is innacurate. He said its in the MA state gun laws that all a service member needs is to show military ID and pay a fee of 100$. He said to print off the section of the MA gun laws and show it to the detective, and I think I found it but not sure whether its the most and/or only relevant part of it that i need to show. So my question is if theres anything else in the gun laws i should look at and after having the information i need, how should i proceed with the section of the gun laws?
Thank you very much and sorry for the trouble!
That sign off by a company commander is for active duty personnel......most bases require commanders to sign off on privately owned fire arms to be stored in the unit arms vault.....because you cant keep them in the barraks. As a reservist or national guard your fine to apply for an ltc in mass without any documentation or approval from your reserve chain of command. Be advised also that private fire arms are not allowed to be carried at armories unless your civilian job is a sworn police officer.

That sign off by a company commander is for active duty personnel......most bases require commanders to sign off on privately owned fire arms to be stored in the unit arms vault.....because you cant keep them in the barraks. As a reservist or national guard your fine to apply for an ltc in mass without any documentation or approval from your reserve chain of command. Be advised also that private fire arms are not allowed to be carried at armories unless your civilian job is a sworn police officer.

There is an instance in which some military personnel may require a commander signature when applying for an LTC. In the case of a non-resident applying for a temporary non-resident LTC (issued under MGL c. 140 s. 131F, and applied for from the state using a different form than resident licenses), such military personal who are stationed in Massachusetts are eligible for a two year license instead of the typical 1 year license. They have to have their commanding officer sign-off on the application. Refer to item 7 from the instructions to non-resident application instructions:
7. Applications Submitted for Employment Purposes, valid for two years: Military personnel who are stationed within the territorial boundaries of the Commonwealth or persons employed by a bank, public utility corporation, a firm engaged in the business of transferring money, or a firm licensed as a private detective agency may apply for a license which may be valid for two years. To qualify: • Military personnel must submit a photocopy of their military ID, and have written consent from their commanding officer. • Private detective agencies must be licensed in the Commonwealth under the provisions of M.G.L. c. 147, as a private detective agency, guard or patrol. A photocopy of the company’s Massachusetts license must accompany the application. • Persons employed by a bank, public utility corporation, a firm engaged in the business of transferring money, or a firm licensed in Massachusetts as a private detective agency, must have the application endorsed by his/her employer by submitting a letter from their employer on company letterhead indicating his or her current employment.

There is an instance in which some military personnel may require a commander signature when applying for an LTC. In the case of a non-resident applying for a temporary non-resident LTC (issued under MGL c. 140 s. 131F, and applied for from the state using a different form than resident licenses), such military personal who are stationed in Massachusetts are eligible for a two year license instead of the typical 1 year license. They have to have their commanding officer sign-off on the application. Refer to item 7 from the instructions to non-resident application instructions:
I hear you.......but that's for active duty personnel. The op is a reservist and lives in mass so has no reason to have his commander sign anything.

I hear you.......but that's for active duty personnel. The op is a reservist and lives in mass so has no reason to have his commander sign anything.
I recognize that.

I referenced that provision simply to contextualize why he may have heard things about a command sign-off (i.e. relating to individuals from different locations/ components of service who may be "working together").

Back
Top Bottom