applying for my green card ?

mac1911

NES Member
OK I talked with my licensing LEO in regards to application for a Massachusetts machine gun license. At the present time he has stated that as long as I meet the requirements he does not see a problem. I am a holder of a FFL 03 and have slowly been building my collection. Mainly WWII firearms and other such FFL03
approved firearms. I have been gearing up to buying more investment quality items. In the near future I would like to get some WWII and military style sub machine guns.
18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Sections 921-929 and 27 CFR part 178
now forgive me, but after reading these regulations.
By the definitions a Curious and Relics FFL 03 is considered a bonafide collector for mass machine gun license ,correct?

the definitions a Curious and Relics FFL 03 is considered a bonafide collector for mass machine gun license ,correct?
Yes, however, for practical purposes what it really means is "You are a bona fide collector if the police chief chooses to accept you as one". I know what the regulations say but, in practice, it is unheard of (or all but unheard of) for a court to overrule a police chief who as a matter of policy will not issue any green cards.

right. These guys are correct.

Some CLEOS will require you to have a C&R before issuing you the green card. My Chief did not. He just gave me the green card anyways. I did go and get my C&R at a later date but just be advised that some may or may not require you to have it beforehand. Either way its no big deal. The C&R is simple to acquire and only costs 30 bucks for like 3 years.

glad to know your CLEO is going to issue it to you. Good luck.

Rob

WEll I have not submitted my app yet. I have my FFL03. I was chatting with a shooter down the range who has MG lic. He said his LEO submitted the form got aproval but then when needing LEO to sign off on his ATF forms he refused??? Now Im still reading up, but I thought you needed a LEO sign off for a SBR form? Time for more reading.

WEll I have not submitted my app yet. I have my FFL03. I was chatting with a shooter down the range who has MG lic. He said his LEO submitted the form got aproval but then when needing LEO to sign off on his ATF forms he refused??? Now Im still reading up, but I thought you needed a LEO sign off for a SBR form? Time for more reading.

Its one of those gotchas. I'd say something smarty like 'Welcome to MA politics', but you've already been versed in the disappointment.

Sometimes you can get the coveted green card, but it stops there. Sounds like your friend just has the trophy card, valid but not valid for actual application. He can own something, but really can never attain anything with it. Which sucks royally.

Best advice I would offer to you is that if you pursue getting the card be sure that your Chief will sign off on the card and other greenish items, like SBRs', AOW's, DD's and so forth with your standing licensing and FFL.

Some of them are unaware that sign offs and green items dont go hand in hand, they are required to be a bit more involved in the process with multiple signatures over the years as your 'collection' grows.

Sometimes once you mention manufacturing (Form1) and so on, they'll freeze up on you, even though that wording is federal. Start with your licensing officer to be sure he is on the same page as you are in regard to the law, the application of the laws, what the firearms you are getting do and so on because he's the guy going to bat for you with the Chief. If you have access to the Chief himself then do the same. Its really essential that you are on the same page with the person who is going to approve or start the process for your approvals.

*For your buddy have him go the corp route.

Some of them are unaware that sign offs and green items dont go hand in hand, they are required to be a bit more involved in the process with multiple signatures over the years as your 'collection' grows.

yeah thats right. I actually know some Chiefs that will issue a green card to someone with absolutely no intentions of signing any F4 or other ATF paperwork at all.

there also are others that dont know there is still a CLEO signature required in MA even after the green card has been acquired and once they see the F4 with the little box for the LEO that says, "I have no information that the said individual will use this item for anything other than lawful purposes and I have no information against this individual" or whatever it says they freeze up.

good advice too. Find out if they will sign the paperwork when getting the green card for future reference.

yeah thats right. I actually know some Chiefs that will issue a green card to someone with absolutely no intentions of signing any F4 or other ATF paperwork at all.

there also are others that dont know there is still a CLEO signature required in MA even after the green card has been acquired and once they see the F4 with the little box for the LEO that says, "I have no information that the said individual will use this item for anything other than lawful purposes and I have no information against this individual" or whatever it says they freeze up.

good advice too. Find out if they will sign the paperwork when getting the green card for future reference.

And hope that the administration does not change at the PD in the meanwhile. Jack.

yeah your right Jack. A change of administration could be a real killer if the person is against people having NFA items.

Rob

yeah your right Jack. A change of administration could be a real killer if the person is against people having NFA items.

Rob

I know of one town that issued green cards and then had a change of COP. The new COP decided he would not issue or renew MG licenses. It was contested in court and the case was decided in favor of the COP. Everyone in the town that possessed a MG had to get rid of it.

I have heard of a CLEO not renewing green cards for those that have them but do not have MGs as some people out there just like to have the lisense but have no intention of buying a MG (I know 2 of them) due to $ issues.

However for those that have had the license and the MGs to go with it and have been good standing citizens certainly are getting the crap end of the stick if the CLEO wont renew the license. I have not heard of this. I have simply heard of this, "I need to renew my MG licence"
"Ok, do you have any MGs?"
"Well no I dont"
"Well then I am not renewing it"

I would NOT in any way shape or form get rid of my guns because some dick weed would not renew my license. I would move out of state before I did that. Or at least buy a safe and store them in a NFA legal state (family house out of state where only I had the combo or key to the safe or storage bin) and notify ATF of the change of address.

Rob

I have heard of a CLEO not renewing green cards for those that have them but do not have MGs as some people out there just like to have the lisense but have no intention of buying a MG (I know 2 of them) due to $ issues.

However for those that have had the license and the MGs to go with it and have been good standing citizens certainly are getting the crap end of the stick if the CLEO wont renew the license. I have not heard of this. I have simply heard of this, "I need to renew my MG licence"
"Ok, do you have any MGs?"
"Well no I dont"
"Well then I am not renewing it"

I would NOT in any way shape or form get rid of my guns because some dick weed would not renew my license. I would move out of state before I did that. Or at least buy a safe and store them in a NFA legal state (family house out of state where only I had the combo or key to the safe or storage bin) and notify ATF of the change of address.

Rob

And it was a LEO who challenged the COP. Instead of getting rid of the MGs, he moved out of town. I don't know how many others moved or sold them off.

And it was a LEO who challenged the COP. Instead of getting rid of the MGs, he moved out of town. I don't know how many others moved or sold them off.
I was that cop Jon, bobR moved to middleboro, a few years later I retired. I hear “that” old boss I had got in the crap over double dipping his retirement! Only by 1.3 million! Hope he gets what’s coming. Good to see a fellow ppd here..

OK I talked with my licensing LEO in regards to application for a Massachusetts machine gun license. At the present time he has stated that as long as I meet the requirements he does not see a problem. I am a holder of a FFL 03 and have slowly been building my collection. Mainly WWII firearms and other such FFL03
approved firearms. I have been gearing up to buying more investment quality items. In the near future I would like to get some WWII and military style sub machine guns.
18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Sections 921-929 and 27 CFR part 178
now forgive me, but after reading these regulations.
By the definitions a Curious and Relics FFL 03 is considered a bonafide collector for mass machine gun license ,correct?
Mac did you ever end up buying some MGs?….😂

I was that cop Jon, bobR moved to middleboro, a few years later I retired. I hear “that” old boss I had got in the crap over double dipping his retirement! Only by 1.3 million! Hope he gets what’s coming. Good to see a fellow ppd here..
Just to let you know, JonJ and the other PPD have both permanently left NES a number of years ago. I'm still in touch with JonJ and see him at hamfests. If you need to get in touch with either of them, send me a PM here.

Back
Top Bottom