Aquila Minishell 12ga rifled slugs

I grabbed a box of the mini shotshells a while back. In order to cycle them in my Mossberg, I had to rotate the gun 90 degrees every time I racked the slide, otherwise they would fall out the bottom.

You can fit like 10 of these little bastards in the magazine. And I understand that they have a full powder charge in them, they just have a couple fewer pellets and less wadding.

Edit: According to the chart in the OP's link, they DO NOT have a full powder charge, vs. the full length shells in the same link. I believed what some guy on youtube told me.

Last edited:
I grabbed a box of the mini shotshells a while back. In order to cycle them in my Mossberg, I had to rotate the gun 90 degrees every time I racked the slide, otherwise they would fall out the bottom.

You can fit like 10 of these little bastards in the magazine. And I understand that they have a full powder charge in them, they just have a couple fewer pellets and less wadding.

Edit: According to the chart in the OP's link, they DO NOT have a full powder charge, vs. the full length shells in the same link. I believed what some guy on youtube told me.

A 7/8 oz slug at 1200 is not a full charge...
I load some very light 1oz slugs when we had slug ahoots at the club. Ran at 1200 fps vs the 1650 the rem slugsters run at.

The mini shells can be fun... not sure who made them but a guy at the club at mini shells with the tracker in them. Supposed to be training aid for trap shooting.

They don't work in a Mossberg 590. After three or four rounds the gun jams closed.

Just picked up 2 boxes of these and hope to try them with my Browning autoloader. Will report back soon on cycling. Couldn’t find any other thread for them so I bumped this one.

Just picked up 2 boxes of these and hope to try them with my Browning autoloader. Will report back soon on cycling. Couldn’t find any other thread for them so I bumped this one.
I wouldn't be optimistic running these in a semi auto. If you have a Mossberg pump, pop in an OPSol mini adapter and you'll be good to go. Otherwise YMMV. I've run them in a Maverick 88 (Mossberg) with the adapter and they're great.

Glad I bumped this thread and got the experienced responses. Bought the OPSol mini for my New Haven 600AT which is gettin an 18.5” barrel switch. I’ll try in the Browning Gold Deer Hunter but I’m not expecting good performance.

No go in my Winchester 12. Perhaps that adapter would help, but it just doesn't seem to make sense, especially with the higher cost of this ammo+ (I only tried the shot shells)..
It's not that hard to reload more shells when empty

No go in my Winchester 12. Perhaps that adapter would help, but it just doesn't seem to make sense, especially with the higher cost of this ammo+ (I only tried the shot shells)..
Do you keep 5 rounds in your carry gun when you could have 8 or 10? I have the mini shells in my home defense shotgun. Its the one place I may not have time to reload and the extra rounds could matter. The delta in power is not really an issue for that use case so it seems like an overall win with no down side.

I don't think the adapter will work, it's only designed for Mossbergs. Pretty sure they have tried to make/use them in other makes but they're just not reliable enough.
OPSol Mini-Clip
12 Gauge Short Shells and the Mini-Clip | AMMDOG Reviews

Back
Top Bottom