AR-10 scope recommendations

Need some help choosing an ar-10 scope. I was reading a couple of scope articles, more specifically this one, The 3 Best Scopes For AR-10 in 2019 (TESTED!) - Scopes Field and it's got some solid info. My budget is around $500, shooting 200 - 400 yards, target shooting. I'm thinking about getting a Primary Arms 4-14x44. Any scope suggestions for a lightweight AR-10 build?
In your shoes not long ago.
Take your time to save up more money. Its amazing what just $300-$500 more does for choices and quality.
Also I would go out of your way to try as many scoped Ar 10s as you can.
Dont be affraid of used scopes. Keep close eye on forums for folks upgrading.

I will ask : What is the end use? Are you looking to put small groups in the X ring or ding 12" steel plates out to $400 yards?
Are you a turret turner or a hold over type?
My only advice is watch your clarity and resolution on Less expensive scopes on higher MagX. Some scopes crap out pretty quick on higher MagX
Then the obvious
Mil, moa, BDC . Reticle style---i like simple.

Oh and dont cheap out on the scope mount or rings.!!!

If your target shooting weight can be your friend.

For the record i have several budget scopes.
My "best scope" is a sightron SIII 8x32x54 . Had one of the better reticles i liked.

Just a note: Athlon scopes are pretty popular in air rifle and i must say I have tried a few that where really nice for the price point. Nice clear glass feels good in the hands.
Friend has this on his 300blk. Its a MOA ret vs Mil.
It has a lot of features for the money ( i have to add im a less is more type) zero stop, locking turrets, ectect.

Im still not a fan of FFP as i hate seeing that huge reticle but I,do like the ease of the application and use of FFP scopes.
You dont have to figure out what your subtensions are. Like a 2ndFP
Anyway thought this was a good price on same scope my friend has. He paid closer to $750
Athlon Optics Ares BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-27x 50mm 1/10 Mil

Last edited:
Need some help choosing an ar-10 scope. I was reading a couple of scope articles, more specifically this one, The 3 Best Scopes For AR-10 in 2019 (TESTED!) - Scopes Field and it's got some solid info. My budget is around $500, shooting 200 - 400 yards, target shooting. I'm thinking about getting a Primary Arms 4-14x44. Any scope suggestions for a lightweight AR-10 build?
Any review that UTG makes it into the top 3 ........ahh no

Not in your price range but this is the scope my friend has on his.
It’s worth saving up for. Amazing scope.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-shv-4-14x56-250-moa-30mm-riflescope.html
Thats a nice scope , i like the simple forceplex reticle. Night force was in my top 3 but the sightron came up on sale from $950 down to $700 back when I bought it.
They can be found for less now.
https://www.amazon.com/Sightron-8-32X56-Range-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B004N3LD3S

Thats another thing to consider a model that is 2-3 years old can be found discounted if you look around.

View attachment 304018

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24. It’s $899 but you can find it on sale at places like Optics Planet for $599. For the money it’s really beautiful glass.
Why is your FDE all the same color.....i kid.
Thats a decent mount also. I picked up 2 of the Mk 2 mounts found discontinued on some web site for about 1/2 of what they where selling them for.

First congrats on your ar 10. It's the one whole in my collection that I will fill when I move to a free state next yearly so.

The following is just my opinion YMMV

200-400 yards is short distance. What you need in a scope is different than if you are shooting 1000 yards. (Also consider that 10 years ago I seldom shot more than 100 yards. Never over 200. Then I joined club with 300 yard range. Then two clubs with access to 500 -1000 yard ranges). So plan ahead

Target shooting encompasses a lot. If you want to shoot tiny bench rest groups with hand loaded cartridges you want more magnification (26-36X)

If you plan to shoot service rifle positional targets with offhand and sitting you want lower magnification to embrace the wobble Think 4X

Most my hunting rifles carry 3-9x variables. 9X with my eyes won't get me sub 1" groups from bench.

4-12x variable scopes are on my later hunting rifles. 12X will get sub 1" for me.

My two longer range rifles both carry 6-14X Vortex scopes on them. I use the 16X setting only for bench work / load development. I almost always shoot longer range at 10X setting. Set it and forget it. Clarity more important to me than power. My 308 bolt gun ,shooting prone, with scope at 10X I can pretty much run the targets out to 700+ yards before I get misses from the drift and drop of 308 getting steep but that's my fault not scopes.

My vortex scopes were @ $500 on sale. Not FFP.

hands down, SWFA straight 10x42mm.
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

SWFA is running an 11% sale through today. it's a military grade optic for like $260. i think i own 4 or 5 of them now.

with a $500 budget, it allows another $250 to buy a high quality mount like ADM or Warne, along with offset or backup irons in case you want to use it for shots inside 50 yards, which is unlikely for an LR-308. don't be fooled by variable magnification optics. the straight magnification offers many advantages including quicker range estimations, better clarity, lighter weight and a more robust construction. the SWFA 10x42 SS has excellent turret tracking. not top of the line but an A- which is better than scopes that cost 3x as much. the fixed 10x will readily take the rifle from 100-800 yards and often more.

on an LR-308 there's no point to an LPVO. you'll never use it at 1x. I have a viper PST 1-6x and on low mag it looks like shit. the problem with LPVO's is you gotta drop some serious coin to get into the game. the only sub $600 LPVO i'll consider is the Steiner P4xi. the others are trash including budget primary arms optics. it's $300 that one wishes they put towards a real scope. with an LPVO on an LR-308, will spend the whole time highest mag setting then wonder why the hell did i get a variable mag optic that weights 10 more oz and cannot be used to dial a firing solution.

--
whatever you end up buying, make sure it has a good warranty. the forward recoil impulse on an LR-308 is fairly harsh. not SCAR-17 or FAL level of harsh but close. with enough rounds these rifles can eat your scope which often manifests in a subtly annoying manner.

--
if the purpose is to have a safe queen or bragging rifle, any scope will work. my post above is assuming the point is to run/abuse the rifle and push it past 600 yards while staying on a budget.

Last edited:
I have a Steiner 1-5x24 (5102) on my AR-10 in Warne mounts. While I’m still playing with the stock and a couple other parts, I have taken the rifle out to the back yard and it’s great glass.

Check out Athlon optics

They are fairly inexpensive for the quality you are getting
This. I have an Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5X on my primary Service Rifle that I've been using all year 200-600 yards. Couple thousand rounds and it's been good.

Vortex Viper PST is a great choice if you want a more compact scope. I use one out to 600 yards for high power.

If long distance is in the cards, check out the Leupold LRP's.

I highly agree with @Squib308 on the SWFA 10x, there's a reason it's so immensely popular. I have one too, and for the money, it's great glass.
I had one and couldn't stand it. Maybe I had a bad one, but I sold it off quickly. The adjustment turrets were hard to turn and the clicks were very mushy. I didn't care for the reticle either, but the adjustments were the primary reason for me not liking it.

I had one and couldn't stand it. Maybe I had a bad one, but I sold it off quickly. The adjustment turrets were hard to turn and the clicks were very mushy. I didn't care for the reticle either, but the adjustments were the primary reason for me not liking it.

agree the turrets were mushy although always for me tracked well so functioned fine. however the newer production ones have very nice clicking turrets and better reticle designs then just usual mill dot

Back
Top Bottom