• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Carry Handle ?

PeterC

NES Member
Hi,

So, bought this (inexpensive) Delton rifle kit a few years ago and put it together with a lower I just made along with a CMMG 22lr conversion kit for some cheap fun. Everything went together really well but now don't know what to do for a rear sight. Are there different size carry handles with a sight where one would be appropriate for this particular front sight ?
I also have a ProMag flip up rear could that be used ?

Or, can the front sight be removed so I can put on a cheap red dot ? It actually looks like it might have been press fitted since I do not see any set screws.

Thanks for any help.

P

20210222_185623.jpg

You’re looking for a standard A3 removable carry handle. It will be compatible with your front sight. To answer the second part of your question, you can get an MBUS rear sight and then buy a red dot and cowitness with iron sights with your optic if you’re working at relatively short effective range, or zero the red dot to whatever distance you want and keep the iron sights as a backup.

i had to have a gunsmith remove a front sight for me, trying to drive out the pins started to get above my pay grade.

Oh boy. Lots to go over here.

1. You can keep the front sight base on there and still put a red dot or scope on the receiver. In fact, the front sight is a great backup when viewing through a red dot if the red dot battery dies or fails(really unlikely with a good red dot though). Most red dots will have mounts for absolute co-witness where the dot should be on the top of the front sight post, or lower 1/3 where the front sight post should be in the lower 1/3 of the red dot lens.

2. And yes, that FSB is held on with two conical pins that are fit pretty tight on there. There are special tools to make it easier to remove it, but I would leave it in place.

3. You can use pretty much any picatinny mounted fixed rear sight you want, that’s advertised with AR parts. Yes, your flip up rear will work. But flip up sights are generally for backup when running optics and can be flimsy. If you’re only using irons, then get fixed irons and avoid flip ups. And any detacheable carry advertised for an AR should work, but many are chinesium nowadays.

Last edited:
1. Leave the FSB (front sight base) alone. No need to do anything with it. It is fine to have even if you choose to go with a red dot of scope.
2. There are a plethora of good sight options. You need to determine both your budget and sight type (irons, red dot, scope).

Your cheapest option is just a flip-up or fixed style rear sight. It will get you started if that's what you want. It's used in conjunction with you existing front sight block.
You next option is your classic A2 carry handle. Again, it's used with your existing front sight. It's the classic system.

Next is a red dot. There are a bunch of relatively inexpensive quality RDS out there. The Sig Romeo5 and Holosun 403/503 variants are probably the most common of the quality budget red dots. The larger your budget, the more options there are, though truthfully, I'm not thinking anything more expensive is needed for this build. Make sure you get the ones that come with the high mounts designed for an AR. Again, leave the FSB and ignore it when using the red dot. It's not an obstruction and in some cases can be beneficial. A magnifier (generally 3x) can also be added if you want some magnification. They're not my thing though, as the last option is better, IMO. Edit: There are both tube style and open/holographic/reflex style red dot options.

Lastly is a magnified optic. A LPVO (low power variable optic) is quite common (1-4x, 1-6x, etc). There are also lots of options here, ranging from about $150 like the Bushnell AR 223 1-4x, to thousands of dollars. This gives you the best of both worlds. Again, the FSB is fine to leave as when you dial magnification past 1-1.5 it will vanish from view, and can just be ignored at 1x.

Links are just some examples and not necessarily venders you should use.

Amazon product ASIN B07T9GK7SRView: https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SOR50000-Romeo5-Compact/dp/B07T9GK7SR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24D9GXXM4T2QN&dchild=1&keywords=sig+romeo+5&qid=1614045406&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=sig+rome%2Csporting%2C195&sr=1-1

Amazon product ASIN B01BJ3ZXD0View: https://www.amazon.com/Holosun-HS403B-Micro-Red-Optic/dp/B01BJ3ZXD0/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=holosun+503&qid=1614045438&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-7

Amazon product ASIN B079HQH4P3View: https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Optics-1-4x24-Drop-Zone/dp/B079HQH4P3/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_0/140-4155827-1278001?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079HQH4P3&pd_rd_r=d774c55c-321e-4f62-a1bb-f6d17439779f&pd_rd_w=LItHi&pd_rd_wg=XQT7z&pf_rd_p=16b28406-aa34-451d-8a2e-b3930ada000c&pf_rd_r=WETG5BMKV64696BVP2CM&psc=1&refRID=WETG5BMKV64696BVP2CM

1. Leave the FSB (front sight base) alone. No need to do anything with it. It is fine to have even if you choose to go with a red dot of scope.
2. There are a plethora of good sight options. You need to determine both your budget and sight type (irons, red dot, scope).

Your cheapest option is just a flip-up or fixed style rear sight. It will get you started if that's what you want. It's used in conjunction with you existing front sight block.
You next option is your classic A2 carry handle. Again, it's used with your existing front sight. It's the classic system.

Next is a red dot. There are a bunch of relatively inexpensive quality RDS out there. The Sig Romeo5 and Holosun 403/503 variants are probably the most common of the quality budget red dots. The larger your budget, the more options there are, though truthfully, I'm not thinking anything more expensive is needed for this build. Make sure you get the ones that come with the high mounts designed for an AR. Again, leave the FSB and ignore it when using the red dot. It's not an obstruction and in some cases can be beneficial. A magnifier (generally 3x) can also be added if you want some magnification. They're not my thing though, as the last option is better, IMO. Edit: There are both tube style and open/holographic/reflex style red dot options.

Lastly is a magnified optic. A LPVO (low power variable optic) is quite common (1-4x, 1-6x, etc). There are also lots of options here, ranging from about $150 like the Bushnell AR 223 1-4x, to thousands of dollars. This gives you the best of both worlds. Again, the FSB is fine to leave as when you dial magnification past 1-1.5 it will vanish from view, and can just be ignored at 1x.

Links are just some examples and not necessarily venders you should use.

Amazon product ASIN B07T9GK7SRView: https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SOR50000-Romeo5-Compact/dp/B07T9GK7SR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24D9GXXM4T2QN&dchild=1&keywords=sig+romeo+5&qid=1614045406&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=sig+rome%2Csporting%2C195&sr=1-1

Amazon product ASIN B01BJ3ZXD0View: https://www.amazon.com/Holosun-HS403B-Micro-Red-Optic/dp/B01BJ3ZXD0/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=holosun+503&qid=1614045438&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-7

Amazon product ASIN B079HQH4P3View: https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Optics-1-4x24-Drop-Zone/dp/B079HQH4P3/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_0/140-4155827-1278001?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079HQH4P3&pd_rd_r=d774c55c-321e-4f62-a1bb-f6d17439779f&pd_rd_w=LItHi&pd_rd_wg=XQT7z&pf_rd_p=16b28406-aa34-451d-8a2e-b3930ada000c&pf_rd_r=WETG5BMKV64696BVP2CM&psc=1&refRID=WETG5BMKV64696BVP2CM
Tons of good info - thanks.

However, you said A2 carry handle and 2 other responses mentioned A3.... Is there a difference ?

Anyway, this rifle is just for having fun with cheap(er) 22lr (and for testing out my 80% lower). Pretty sure I don't want to use iron sights long term so will look at one of the lower end Red Dots.

Thanks All !

Tons of good info - thanks.

However, you said A2 carry handle and 2 other responses mentioned A3.... Is there a difference ?

Anyway, this rifle is just for having fun with cheap(er) 22lr (and for testing out my 80% lower). Pretty sure I don't want to use iron sights long term so will look at one of the lower end Red Dots.

Thanks All !
Technically, A2 is when the carry handle is permanently integrated into the forged upper. Like the M16-A2. The A3 is detacheable for picatinny topped A3/A4/M4 rifles and carbines.

Other than one being detachable, they are the same.

... Most red dots will have mounts for absolute co-witness where the dot should be on the top of the front sight post, or lower 1/3 where the front sight post should be in the lower 1/3 of the red dot lens. ,,,
If they support absolute co-witness, then they probably support (come with?) a spacer plate
to raise the sight to lower 1/3.

Not a law of nature, but that was the deal
with the Vortex SPARC AR I got at FS.

Actual experts can korect me, of course.

I put one of these on a relatively cheap “semi” retro build:
Ok, in one of the pics it looks like there is some sort of picatinny rail mounted to the handle that not only has a red dot mounted on top but you can look thru it to use the iron sights. Is that what you have ? How well does that work ?

Hi,

So, bought this (inexpensive) Delton rifle kit a few years ago and put it together with a lower I just made along with a CMMG 22lr conversion kit for some cheap fun. Everything went together really well but now don't know what to do for a rear sight. Are there different size carry handles with a sight where one would be appropriate for this particular front sight ?
I also have a ProMag flip up rear could that be used ?

Or, can the front sight be removed so I can put on a cheap red dot ? It actually looks like it might have been press fitted since I do not see any set screws.

Thanks for any help.

P

View attachment 453623
You can remove the sight. Its held on with tapered pins. look closely at the 2 pins 1 above the sling swivel and 1 Above the Bayonet lug One side of the pin will have a larger diameter, you drive the pins out from the smaller side. A front sight block and the correct punches will make it easier. Some pins are very very tight.
Then you need a gas block to replace the Front sight assembly OR go old school and just Dremel the upper portion of the sight off.

Or just mount a BUIS and a red dot or a A3 carry handle. You can go full cheap or some quality

Ok, in one of the pics it looks like there is some sort of picatinny rail mounted to the handle that not only has a red dot mounted on top but you can look thru it to use the iron sights. Is that what you have ? How well does that work ?
They are just showing that it has the mounting hole in the middle of the top so you can mount a rail like this:
It is a separate component and there are many different flavors available from the likes of Weaver and Leupold, from $7.99 to $32.99. A few fill in the entire sight channel while most provide a cutout so you can still use your irons. I got a cheap one for mine ($13 from midway, they no longer carry it). With my bad eyes I found the tunnel for using the irons too narrow for me. If you have normal eyes, or maybe get one of the higher end ones (which might have a larger tunnel) it might work for you. The rails are actually made to allow you to put an optic on an older AR with a fixed handle, and for that they are great.

My preference:

Iron sights with a carry handle, preferably the integral sort that's part of the upper but a removable is the next best. This is your bullet proof shtf setup.

Or no FSB and a free float or non FSB gas block.

The dumbest thing are the wild mounts to bring scopes up over an FSB, 2nd dumbest is mounting shit atop a carry handle. Don't be that guy.

My preference:

Iron sights with a carry handle, preferably the integral sort that's part of the upper but a removable is the next best. This is your bullet proof shtf setup.

The dumbest thing are the wild mounts to bring scopes up over an FSB, 2nd dumbest is mounting shit atop a carry handle. Don't be that guy.
Yeah, I tried to put a red-dot on my Colt 6420 to help my poor old eyes. Must admit it looked totally out of place. Finally went with this:
Retro Scope.jpg
Brownells retro scope, at least it is period correct. Still kind of ruins the lines of the gun. Hoping to be able to drop it when I get my cataracts taken care of later this year.

Yeah, I tried to put a red-dot on my Colt 6420 to help my poor old eyes. Must admit it looked totally out of place. Finally went with this:
View attachment 453717
Brownells retro scope, at least it is period correct. Still kind of ruins the lines of the gun. Hoping to be able to drop it when I get my cataracts taken care of later this year.
Only problem with those is you have to balance your chin on the comb of the stock! Heck i have a hard enough time getting my eye high enough behind the rear sight aperture

The carry pins can be a real pain to drive out. I remember one that was so tight the owner shipped it to a smith to have it pushed out.

The advantage of the pins is they do not loosen under full auto fire. A disadvantage is the holes are drilled through the sight tower/gas block and barrel at the same time so any replacement will either be of the variety with the setscrews under the base of the sight (yuk) or a clamp-on design where the screws clamp the gas block to the barrel. This is generally not a problem on your basic shoulder mounted gas operated semi automatic weapons platform.

The carry pins can be a real pain to drive out. I remember one that was so tight the owner shipped it to a smith to have it pushed out.

The advantage of the pins is they do not loosen under full auto fire. A disadvantage is the holes are drilled through the sight tower/gas block and barrel at the same time so any replacement will either be of the variety with the setscrews under the base of the sight (yuk) or a clamp-on design where the screws clamp the gas block to the barrel. This is generally not a problem on your basic shoulder mounted gas operated semi automatic weapons platform.
Yes the pins can be tough
A good bench block , solid support of the rifle the correct punches and a good solid whack should get them out.
also - Make sure your driving them in correct direction

My preference:

Nothing beats an m16a2 for all around durability. The sights are not gonna get popped around unless you drop it off a cliff or run it over with a train. Run it over with a truck or car.....it will probably still be useable.....I've seen it happen lol

Update:

I ordered both a Carry Handle and a Sig Romeo and they should be here over the next couple of days. I think for the very short term I'll just play around using the iron sites (basically testing out the CMMG conversion kit with the 22lr ammo I have on hand). Eventually I may risk being "that guy" :) and get one of those offset mounts for the Sig and run them both or just keep the Sig for the next build.

Great discussion, thanks all !

Peter

Nothing beats an m16a2 for all around durability. The sights are not gonna get popped around unless you drop it off a cliff or run it over with a train. Run it over with a truck or car.....it will probably still be useable.....I've seen it happen lol
They cannot beat a Bradley ramp or hatch though....😆

Back
Top Bottom