AR 15 Complete Uppers in Mass

Hey Everybody,

long time reader, decided to finally join when I started my LTC process in Mass. This website is such a wealth of knowledge, especially for the us in the commiewealth. Thanks for all the effort.

I’ve been doing my research to dial in what is on my purchase list (based on what’s available during COVID) as soon as I get my permit. My question is this.. How hard is it to purchase complete uppers or parts kits in Mass? I believe Palmetto stopped shipping here with Healey right? I have my eyes on a pre ban (94) lower. But if uppers or parts kits are unobtanium I’ll just pay the insane price of a complete.

If there is another relevant thread, sorry for the repeat, I couldn’t find it when I searched.

Thanks for any help

Sparky15

AR uppers, strictly speaking, aren't a controlled part. Some vendors will ship them, some won't. Parts should be fairly obtainable although may be impacted by Biden's victory and COVID/protests. I still get plenty of emails each day about available parts and kits.

Just make sure you pair any post-ban featured upper with a preban or go the neutered route.

Do an exhaustive search online and you can find what you need. I spent today creating a spreadsheet of every part I need for an AR9 build, searched each part for price/availability, and ordered everything I need for the build except the lower which I'm picking up on Saturday.

you will have no problem getting what you need with regard to uppers and their components except maybe a suppressor ;-)

AR uppers, strictly speaking, aren't a controlled part. Some vendors will ship them, some won't. Parts should be fairly obtainable although may be impacted by Biden's victory and COVID/protests. I still get plenty of emails each day about available parts and kits.

Just make sure you pair any post-ban featured upper with a preban or go the neutered route.
Thanks, I know they aren’t strictly considered controlled parts, but I’ve been out of the game a couple years. Last time I was collecting parts for a build I purchased many through a big online seller, I just don’t know the climate today for my fellow brethren’s in Taxachusetts. And Preban all the way, the neutered route isn’t worth the outlay of capital in whatever this shit is we are living through 🤷‍♂️

Do an exhaustive search online and you can find what you need. I spent today creating a spreadsheet of every part I need for an AR9 build, searched each part for price/availability, and ordered everything I need for the build except the lower which I'm picking up on Saturday.
Just curious- what was you total, $ wise? Including lower?

Neutered?

BCM.jpg

...and it is not illegal to ship uppers to MA, but when you learn who does, don't go blurting it out on the interwebs for Martha's and her associates' attention... 👍
Theres a lot more places that ship than dont. Its more a matter of finding what you want in stock.

Just curious- what was you total, $ wise? Including lower?

$1384 with optic, but I haven't worked out the price on the upper yet, and I'm probably having the receiver set and handguard Cerakoted in burnt bronze (which is unnecessary and probably ≈$300) .

This is the cheapest optic I've put on an AR, so we'll see if I like it but may have to upgrade.

I'm overpaying for the lower, but that's the only part of the build that is hard to find (maybe the upper too). Everything else can be dependent upon budget.

**EDIT: Just FYI this is for an AR9 build, not 5.56.

1.png.

Last edited:
Just remember, if you have a post ban (after 1994) lower you’ll have to pin a brake onto your upper. Almost all complete uppers will ship with an A2 birdcage screwed on and to be compliant with the MA AWB you’ll need to replace it. Even if it ships with a brake (as my Bushy 450 Bushmaster upper did) you will need to get it pinned/welded.

Just remember, if you have a post ban (after 1994) lower you’ll have to pin a brake onto your upper. Almost all complete uppers will ship with an A2 birdcage screwed on and to be compliant with the MA AWB you’ll need to replace it. Even if it ships with a brake (as my Bushy 450 Bushmaster upper did) you will need to get it pinned/welded.
Another option is to buy a barrel with an integral brake. Faxon makes a good one. The other benefit is the ease of removing and replacing the gas block.

Another good idea if you don’t want to pay for a pin and weld, go with a 14.5 upper that’s made for a non SBR rifle. It will come with a 1.5inch comp that already has p/w to the barrel to make it 16in. For example:

Another option is to buy a barrel with an integral brake. Faxon makes a good one. The other benefit is the ease of removing and replacing the gas block.

There are also non-threaded barrels available from several manufacturers, but I’m not sure if there are any complete uppers made that way.

Back
Top Bottom