ar 15 iron sights recommendation

just bought a stern defense 40 cal glock mag ar15 conversion kit. without breaking the bank what you you consider the best rail sight combo. are those plastic ones from magpul and others ok. since i own an old colt, love the old carry handle set up; would those sight in ok on a carbine.

My preference is Troy HK-style folding BUIS, but they aren’t cheap. I dislike the standard front sight on an AR15/M16 and prefer the HK globe for sight picture/alignment. The Magpul plastic BUIS are junk. I usually sell them as soon as I replace them with the Troy sights if they come standard on a carbine.

I currently have the HK style sights set up for 50/200 zero shooting on my 9mm CZ Scorpion and 100 yard zero on my AR. Both have optics, so the sights really are backup irons.

I may add them to my Tavor as well, though that comes with built in BUIS on the top rail, but it requires a special tool to adjust and they are awkward as heck to use. Again, prefer the Troy setup and like it standardized across all my rifles.

Last edited:
My preference is Troy HK-style folding BUIS, but they aren’t cheap. I dislike the standard front sight on an AR15/M16 and prefer the HK globe for sight picture/alignment. The Magpul plastic BUIS are junk. I usually sell them as soon as I replace them with the Troy sights if they come standard on a carbine.

I currently have the HK style sights set up for 50/200 zero shooting on my 9mm CZ Scorpion and 100 yard zero on my AR. Both have optics, so the sights really are backup irons.

I may add them to my Tavor as well, though that comes with built in BUIS on the top rail, but it requires a special tool to adjust and they are awkward as heck to use. Again, prefer the Troy setup and like it standardized across all my rifles.

Obligatory "f*** Troy" post

Troy makes solid irons but I am partial to Midwest Industries. They’re very similar but priced better.

Do you want the best or to not break the bank? [smile] Folding or fixed? I put scalarworks on a recent build. I think they’re pretty excellent for fixed irons.

without breaking the bank what you you consider the best rail sight combo. are those plastic ones from magpul and others ok.
Magpul and even those cheap chinese sights are sometimes ok. The good thing with plastic is that they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. I've tried a diamond-shaped rear aperture and it's pretty cool how you can line up the front sight elevation with the corners of the rear opening.. A cheap red-dot sight is good to try out with cheap iron sights.
since i own an old colt, love the old carry handle set up; would those sight in ok on a carbine.
Yes. I like the old school setup as well, especially with the fixed rubber buttstock and triangle handguard.

Happy shooting (if you have ammo)

For the price of decent sites you can get an OK bare bones red dot, like a Romeo 5.

Buis sites are just that - backups. Hey I run my new AR9 with magpuls but really the lazer its getting is kinda the primary and I really don't care that much, if I can shoot a man minute quickly thats the requirement..

Carry handle sites are cool and up level from most irons IMO - absolutely they are good on a carbine (durr!).. I'm sure it will work great, but you still need something at the end of the rail. Also your rail needs to be good and solid to put a sight on it, else will lose zero constantly.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did and gamble on some cheap Chinese garbage, even if it seemingly has good reviews. This was right after I opened the box. Totally unfixable outside of epoxying the pin in place.

20191127_180456.jpg

My justification at the time was that I wasn't putting pricey BUIS on a budget build, but there's no point in buying cheap if you have to buy more than once to get it right. Buy once, cry once is what I heard on this forum, and that makes total sense. Too bad I had to get kicked in the teeth first person to understand that.

Scalarworks Peaks if you need the gucci stuff.
Otherwise, magpul is just fine. Or go old school and get a carry handle and front post.
Lots of good options.

But its almost always worth tossing a red dot on it. There are several in the 100 range that hold up to at least some abuse.

thanx just bought a set of troys fixed with hk front from optics planet: $125

my preference is either Troy or Magpul mbus pro. I don’t own any KAC sights but theyre obviously nice. Personally I like fixed sights with a lower 1/3 red dot mount, but that’s largely because I’m not a big fan of magnified optics on most AR builds. As @ReluctantDecoy mentions the el cheapo sights are a straight up waste.

I like the Diamond Integrated Sighting System from Diamondhead USA. You can get the polymer version for $112 and the hardcoat anodized 6061-T6 aluminum for $215

I like the Diamond Integrated Sighting System from Diamondhead USA. You can get the polymer version for $112 and the hardcoat anodized 6061-T6 aluminum for $215

Thought about picking up some Diamond sights to try it out, but I’m so used to the HK style front and standard peep rear that I decided change was bad [troll]

Unless they will be your primary sights, I recommend 45 degree offset sights

I your optic is cracked, fogged or otherwise not able too see through, co-witnessed sights will be useless

That’s what quick release mounts are for. I like the idea of offset BUIS, especially for say a long gun with a scope that can’t co-witness and whose other option is say mounting above the optic. Having said that, offsets require training to get use to as it is awkward and not a natural motion/shooting position and don’t offer much of a cheek weld as compared to traditionally mounted irons. My Eotech or Elcan breaks and interfere with co-witness, I can pop off the optic in seconds and operate my gun with the irons in the same manner I’ve done for years...

For me, co-witness irons and spend a little extra for quick release mounts for your optics.

Unless they will be your primary sights, I recommend 45 degree offset sights

I your optic is cracked, fogged or otherwise not able too see through, co-witnessed sights will be useless
I agree... I went with offset sights a few years ago and it works great. Easy to learn and it adds a lot of fun to plinking/training. Ive had my eye on the Troy HK style off set sights. They are pretty darn nice. Hard to justify spending more on my irons than I did on my red dot, but I think I deserve it.

I tried out the tritium BU’s for a bit. If I’m shooting just irons I like using the charging handle for an immediate cheek weld ref when shouldering the rifle quickly, with my nose just touching the CH. The tritium on the rears would blur and was very distracting being that close to my eyes. May just be my eyesight and getting older but it didn’t work well for me at all.

I'm actually pretty fast with irons. I use a scope on my rifle, but have BUIS. There's nothing wrong with irons.

Agreed, technology is far from perfect or 100% reliable. There’s prolly folks out there that have irons on and never even zeroed them or train with them, or don’t have any at all because a 100.00 RDS works for them at the range.

It’s the same theory as a GPS vs map/compass/protractor. Gotta have some basic fall back skills in certain areas.

Back
Top Bottom