• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ar 15 iron sights recommendation

That’s what quick release mounts are for. I like the idea of offset BUIS, especially for say a long gun with a scope that can’t co-witness and whose other option is say mounting above the optic. Having said that, offsets require training to get use to as it is awkward and not a natural motion/shooting position and don’t offer much of a cheek weld as compared to traditionally mounted irons. My Eotech or Elcan breaks and interfere with co-witness, I can pop off the optic in seconds and operate my gun with the irons in the same manner I’ve done for years...

For me, co-witness irons and spend a little extra for quick release mounts for your optics.

I disagree. If you are in a gunfight, there is no time to remove optics. Transition to offset sights is quick and easy to learn. Plus QD mounts are rarely quick to disconnect , especially under stress

Last edited:
I disagree. If you are in a gunfight, there is no time to remove optics. Transition to offset sights is quick and easy to learn. Plus QD mounts are really quick to disconnect , especially under stress

Easy enough if you’re using proper TTP’s, cover/concealment, shooting and moving, etc. obviously not stopping in the open to take a knee and make your changes. You should always be looking ahead for your next cover to move to.

Easy enough if you’re using proper TTP’s, cover/concealment, shooting and moving, etc. obviously not stopping in the open to take a knee and make your changes. You should always be looking ahead for your next cover to move to.

I prefer instantaneous ability to change sights rather than finding cover that may not be there and concealment that does not stop bullets.

Not to say that cover and concealment should not be used, but its not a substitute for the ability to switch sights

Meh, to each his own I guess. I’ll follow my training and stick to what I know.

I have a Magpul Pro and a couple of sets of Troys BUIS. The Magpuls have not flipped back up in at least 6 years after it got zeroed. Sootch convinced me at the time that I was going to die if I didn't have one. The Troys are older and have been dormant even longer. Part of that is I'm not good with irons and LPVOs/red dots are so much more enjoyable for me. I don't have irons on my other rifles and feel secure about it.

Try your technique in force-on-force training while someone is shooting at you and let me know how it works out.

That’s the point... did it for years, irons cowitnessed with an Aimpoint. Never had issues in any bluefor-opfor training at NTC. We’re talking an edge case of an optic fogging/breaking glass and no longer allowing cowitness. Has never happened in 25 years to me (edit. I usually run quality optics like Aimpoint/Eotech/Elcan/Trijicon. Can't speak to reliability of lower cost optics). What has happened is batteries have failed at inopportune times. I used BUIS until time allowed to replace batteries without missing a beat.

Not saying offset doesn’t work, just wouldn’t do it if cowitness was available. As others said, to each his own. I trust my training and experience and it works for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Who "wouldn't" have iron sights? Optic gets damaged and without irons you're screwed.

On all my builds, the irons went on first, then the optics if it was going to have one.

"Two is One and One is None".

Think EMP... whether from a massive solar flare or an enemy of the state. Electronics out of commission, without BUIS that holo or red dot equipped rifle becomes a club or spear if you happen to have a bayonet lug. Of course, you could always go hollywood like Arnold and just spray and pray, worked for him in Commando...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-reK6pGk8to

Last edited:
Try your technique in force-on-force training while someone is shooting at you and let me know how it works out.

Been there done that. Didn’t need them then and still haven’t seen them being issued for carbines in DAU’s or .mil special operations with much higher budgets for the cool guy stuff. We also didn't let equipment or lack of dictate doctrine and training.
Do they work? I’m sure they do. Are they a necessity? Not at all.

Get these and let them know they are about to get f'd

71vL0WZ9DvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Remember Steven Troy was a Ma**h*** Trooper. I have heard from several sources that he was not one of the better ones.

Back
Top Bottom