AR-15 Kaboom............holy crap

WOW, That is a massive fail. If your reloading and NOT paying attention to big details, like what powder your using, never mind the minor details like how much, I could see where 26.5 Gr. of titegroup or 296 would make any day a bad day. The guy is lucky he is only been shocked and awed. Reloading is dangerous for those that make it so.

Some people just should not be reloading their own ammo. He's lucky he didn't kill himself or anyone else near him.

so, from a powder perspective, he essentially loaded a 500 S&W magnum round into his AR. Yeah, I guess that would 'splode an AR.

If the shooter didn't lose an eye or a hand, he can count himself as the luckiest guy in town that day.

Not following basic handloading safety (being an idiot) can cause injury and cost a lot of money.

Wow. I've seen AR KB's with good ammo that was involved in a double-feed and had the bullet pushed back (or so was the only cause we could figure) that did a number on the gun, but no where near as bad as that.

my dad did not do a lot of reloading but he taught me
I cal. at a time.
Only have the material needed for reloading particular round out. IE bullets,powder,cases,primers.
wp

WOW - that is just crazy. Amazing that he didn't catch anything to the face or eyes. He should go buy a lotto ticket stat!!!

FWIW this is nothing approaching a "typical reloading mistake" kaboom. Whatever caused this was abject and wanton stupidity and negligence.

I've seen a lot of KB pics of different guns, and for ARs this is the worst one I've ever seen, and probably is in the top 3 worst easy.... The only one I saw that was worse than this was that guy's M1A that blew up where the barrel actually split in half most of the way down!

http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html

see also, aftermath report...

http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb/762r.html

-Mike

Last edited:
[shocked] That sucks. Definitely a lucky dude.

On a side note, are we sure this wasn't a Glock prototype of some kind?

This is exactly why I only have one powder out on the bench at a time and I never leave powder in the hopper...everything else is locked up. Too easy to get confused ... bad day ensues.

Putting an ACOG on a cavarms plastic lower just seems... kind of like putting Pirellis on Kia. It works, but aren't there FAR better platforms for high end parts?

Putting an ACOG on a cavarms plastic lower just seems... kind of like putting Pirellis on Kia. It works, but aren't there FAR better platforms for high end parts?

Cavarms lowers used to be decent quality stuff. I say used to because the ATF closed them down. (Although who knows if they sold the rights, etc, to someone else..... possible. )

-Mike

nothing wrong with polymer, dude.

ive always wanted one of those lowers to build a lightweight carbine with. id put an ACOG or AccuPoint 1-4 on it.

From the comments on the link: hardmackon 13 Apr 2011 at 10:14 pm link comment
happened to a local guy here in AZ… posted on the shooting forums here… Very very lucky… always load your own hand loads and ensure no double charges

There's no way in hell you can "double charge" a .223 round. A single charge of any appropriate rifle powder fills the case to the shoulder or thereabouts, another would overflow 3/4 of the powder of the next charge onto the press and your lap.

I'd be suspicious of only one thing here, whether or not a fast burning pistol powder was mistakenly used in the load.

This is why I keep track of my own ammunition on the range and would never fire a round that was found on any range, or even my own table if I didn't put it there or know its origin.

Back
Top Bottom